Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do I maintain text size when pasting type from photoshop?

May 16, 2012 10:38 AM

Tags: #text

This has been an issue for me for a while, not just in CS6. When copying text from Photoshop into Illustrator the font comes through but the size is always about 4 times what it was in Photoshop. Both documents are set to the same dpi. I don't understand where it's getting this arbitrary size info from. Does anyone know if there's a trick to get the size to come though correctly?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 16, 2012 10:58 AM   in reply to bsnebold

Copying text from Photoshop to Illustrator might not be the best policy.

Illustrator does not have resolution for you to set so you are mistaaken about this what you have is a raster effects settings not a setting for the the whole dimension of the document. Illustrator is Vectore.

having wrote that keep in mind Illustrator displays its preview a 75 ppi. So say you have one inch Cap T and you paste it from a 300ppi Photoshop file into Illustrstorte it is being placed at 72 ppi but not reinterprating the relative type size but rather placing it at 4.167 the dimensions based on 72 ppi in relation to 300ppi. The 1 inch T now becomes 4.167 inches.

If you want to keep it as 1 Inch then save it as a .psd file nd either open it in AI or place it into AI.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 12:39 PM   in reply to bsnebold

Select text in Photoshop with the type tool. Paste in Illustrator. Double click the Scale tool, type 24 for Scale, and press Enter. Now the point size of the text in Photoshop will match the points size in the text in Illustrator.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 1:08 PM   in reply to bsnebold

bsnebold wrote:

Thanks, but that's about 3 more steps than I wanted. ..

Your job is pasting text from Photoshop to Illustrator all day long?

In fact if you do that all the time it is actually 2 steps - double click the Scale tool and press Enter. The Scale value remains if you don't use the Scale tool for something else.

edit: and don't forget that you can create an action with a hotkey to scale selected object with 24%.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 2:33 PM   in reply to bsnebold

Well, I think we should be very happy that copy and paste text between Photoshop and Illustrator at least has some ratio. Try copy paste from other programs like Word or inDesign and you will see that all the original text size is ignored and the current point size set for the text tool is used. This means that if you have formatted text with different sizes they are all gone.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 7:00 PM   in reply to bsnebold

Maybe it's a problem with Photoshop -- I've copied 48pt text from PSE10 and pasted it into Ai CS6, and it comes in at 47.82pt.

FWIW, the PSE document is 72ppi, and the Ai document's "rasterize" setting is 300dpi.

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 5:56 AM   in reply to photodrawken

The Ai document's rasterize setting shouldn't matter at all.

I tried to reproduce this with Photoshop Extended and Illustrator but I couldn't get your results. So it might be a matter with PS Elements.

In Photoshop there are two options that might be responsible for this. One is the measurement unit for entering type, it can be pixels or inches. The other is the Point unit setting, which can be PostScript or traditional.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 9:07 AM   in reply to Monika Gause

Monika,

Interesting.  Sounds like the Photoshop development team needs to spend some "quality time" with the PSE team....

Ken

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points