Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Multicam making un-intended cuts

Oct 13, 2010 5:18 PM

Hi.

I'm a FCP editor switching to CS5.  I use a lot of multicam in FC, and am trying to get my head around it in premiere.

I'm editing a two camera multicam.  I start on camera 1, I hit record, then hit play.  As I play I'll cut to camera 2, then back to camera 1, then camera 2. If it stop playback whilst on camera 2, Premiere makes another final cut back to camera 1.  If I stop playback on camera 1, then it does not make this cut.

I didn't want to cut back to camera 1, which is why when I stopped playback, I was one camera 2.  Is this me not understanding how multicam works, or is it a feature or bug?

Cheers

Jacob.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 13, 2010 5:34 PM   in reply to Jacob Dyer

<sigh>

Yeah, I know what you mean. It's actually not a feature or a bug; let's be diplomatic and call it a quirk.

What Premiere is doing is returning to the camera angle that was live when you first started your last round of multicamera edits. So, in your case, you're probably starting your edits on camera 1; when you hit stop, it returns to camera 1. If you had four camera angles, and you started on camera 4, did some editing, and then stopped, it would go back to camera 4, regardless of the last angle you were on before you stopped.

Premiere is making all those edits sort of retroactively, I guess. Your starting angle is always the "live one," and it's not until you switch to a different angle that the previous angle gets cemented in place. When you stop, you add an edit, and whatever angle that was live before the stop is cemented in, but since you started on something else, it's that angle the follows the edit.

It's kind of goofy and annoying, but you get used to it. I think the preferred action would be that Premiere wouldn't add an edit when you stop--that would make the most sense, as far as I'm concerned. A feature request (Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form) would be in order for this. In the meantime, just reselect your desired angle in the Multicam monitor before you start editing again; that will change the angle in the sequence, and that will be the new "live one."

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2010 6:46 PM   in reply to Jacob Dyer

Colin's answer is almost exactly what mine would've been. (Thanks, Colin!)

I'll add one thing, in case it's useful:

This page has links to some tutorials that show the use of the multi-cam features in Premiere Pro. They might help you to find the best workflow given the existing feature set.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2012 8:41 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

This "Quirk" sucks.  No software should place an edit when the playback stops - this is beyond rediculous behavior. I have spent the last half hour trying to understand why I couldn't get an edit rhythm going, and it's because of two things, actually - one is that on my Mac, the J-K-L buttons do not always behave well when playing back in multicam mode (specifically the "K" button does not always pause playback - it seems to randomly not work), and when I do stop using the spacebar as opposed to the "K" key, the stopped playback adds an edit where I do not want one!

I understand this playback (reverting to the cam selected before editing playback started) behavior from the explanation above - but that does not mean that the behavior is correct from an editing standpoint - this is a huge problem for me editing in multicam mode. If I have to stop and fix the edit that Premiere puts in every time I stop multicam playback it's a HUGE waste of my time. There should be a way around this. Adobe needs to address this by giving editors a choice between the way it currently behaves and the way that most every editor on the planet expects it to behave - by retaining the last camera selected when playback is stopped.  At the very least this should be a choice.

Overall I am still very underwhelmed by Adobe's multicam implementation. On a Mac it seems very buggy, sluggish at times, prone to problems and I have never been able to have a good edit experience using it yet, and I've been trying for months after defecting from Final Cut to Premiere, first 5.5 and now 6. I have a dual-processor 8-core Mac tower, upgraded RAM to 20GB, bought the Quadro 4000 for Mac card @ almost $1k, and am using blazing fast drives in a RAID 0 array that all together should all provide smooth sailing. Regrettably, using multicam in Premiere on my Mac has NEVER been smooth, and was really unusable prior to CS6.  For all the chest-beating from Adobe about FCP users being able to switch seamlessly to Premiere, the fact is that Adobe Premiere has always been more solid on the PC, and I have tried very hard to make Premiere behave as smoothly as FCP7 when it comes to multicam editing on my Mac (which FCP7 does very well), to no avail, using every recommendation and recommended piece of hardware and software available. 

Adobe, please show me the way. I'm trying to be a believer, but I'm having a very difficult time getting through a multicam edit and it's just a very frustrating experience.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2012 9:18 AM   in reply to BillVincent

on my Mac, the J-K-L buttons do not always behave well

On a Mac it seems very buggy,

the fact is that Adobe Premiere has always been more solid on the PC

I think you found your own solution there.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2012 10:18 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Yeah, Jim, I hear you. Although changing systems completely is not much of an option, and shouldn't have to be. I have thousands invested in hardware - I should not have to throw away all of that investment and start over with a PC just to get Premiere to be an acceptable replacement for FCP, (which they are so proudly advertising that they are).  I shouldn't have to dual-boot either. If Adobe is going to bother to have Premiere for Mac, it should be expected to behave at least comparably to the PC version in quality and features.

Anyway, I have confirmed that this edit behavior does exist for PC users as well - which means it is expected behavior, and not a "bug". It's just bad expected behavior that Adobe should give an option not to do.

PS - the J-K-L problem may be a problem unrelated to Adobe - I'm researching that further but it may be the fault of some funky XML created by another company's software.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2012 12:25 PM   in reply to BillVincent

Another discovery about the J-K-L issue... It seems that K is disabled when the multicam window record button is on, which gets to the heart of this issue... Stopping playback (not "pausing" it as the "K" key is meant to do) can only happen in record mode with the space bar, and stopping playback causes the revert (edit/cut) back to the clip selected before the record mode was enabled.

Can we have a pause function assigned to the K key? at least this would be a workaround to this particular behavior of Adobe software that I am locked into regarding this issue.

I don't mean to be too hard on Adobe. Premiere is now very, very close to being the software I hoped it would be with CS6. I want to think I'm fairly impartial in my criticisms, although its impossible to be completely impartial in any endeavor. Is it truly the complete replacement for FCP in my world yet, the world of the Mac user? Very close, but not completely... This "quirk" should be un-quirked and the choice given to the user how the operation responds.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 10:24 AM   in reply to BillVincent

I'm wondering if this "extra edit" when you hit the space bar (since as you say K doesn't work) is related to the fact that up to CS5.5 the record mode would stay on when you stopped m/c playback, which was fine as you could nudge back and forth to choose an exact camera change frame. Now on CS6, as soon as you stop playback, the record mode switches off, so you have to hit 0 again to re-enable it again (which is a pain - when I want it off, I'll toggle it off with the 0 key), and in the process of it switching itself off, it makes the camera change edit that you don't want at the point of stopping playback.

If the m/c recording stayed on until you hit 0 again to toggle it off, then that might also fix the un-intended camera change when stopping playback. Or fix the K key so that it pauses playback without switching off the m/c recording.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 12:09 PM   in reply to Jon_Ashby

Jon, I believe you are saying the same thing I am - that the "K" key functionality is really "Stop", not "Pause" - and there IS a difference.  Back in the old days of tape editing, pause meant that the tape would pause on the play head as it was still engaged/touching/shuttling the play head.  The "Stop" button actually removed the play head from the tape. There is no difference electronically between pause and stop nowadays - so why not give the option to pause and/or stop using "K" as the pause, and Spacebar as Stop?  This would provide the option for it to behave like we want it too. In the Keyboard Shortcuts for 6.0, "K" is even listed as "shuttle stop" - not Stop. So Adobe, make it do what you say it does... Seems easy enough to me!! 

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 12:15 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

This page has more updated info on multi-camera editing in Premiere Pro CS6: http://helpx.adobe.com/content/help/en/premiere-pro/using/editing-mult i-camera-sequences1.html

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 12:43 PM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

Thanks Kevin, but what we are hoping for is a change in this functionality, not a page showing how to currently do it the way it is.  Can you speak to helping make that happen?

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 12:55 PM   in reply to BillVincent

The best thing you could do is create an official feature request: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Then, the people responsible for making changes to the product will be aware of your issue.

BTW, there are shortcuts for changing, and cutting to camera angles. After you stop, you could provide a keyboard shortcut to switch back to your intended angle.

Would that work for you?

kb-shortcuts-camera.png

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 1:06 PM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

I just put in a feature request. I encourage the rest of the readers of this thread to whom it matters to do the same.  As for the keyboard shortcut switch back, sure, that's possible - but it still leaves the split clip edit where the playback stopped, which isn't a big deal but is not really desirable, and potentially confusing.  It just makes a huge amount of sense to allow the editor to choose which behavior they want in this way, and not be locked into having to work around it - and what you are suggesting is a classic workaround, that doesn't at all fix the actual issue. 

Seeing that you and the Premiere team are working together, and seeing how CS6 and the Creative Cloud are now able to push out updates "on the fly" so to speak, how about making this change into a quick update?  I'm sure with some prodding from you, you could convince the powers that be to take a look @ the issue, right?     Let this issue be a prototype for the new way of handling software updates...

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 1:14 PM   in reply to BillVincent

I'll see if I can get some members of the team to look at the topic. In the mean time, all I can do is suggest that you make a feature request, and add your issue as a note in documentation.

As far as updates we're planning for the software, and the timing of those updates, I can't really comment on that at all. Sorry.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 11:45 AM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

Let me add to the frustrations of the other users.

Since Multi-Cam was first introduced, it's always been making these extra edits. Because of the type of editing I do, this was totally incompatible with my workflow. But the solution was to press the space bar to stop, make my edit with 1 2 3 or 4 and then press space to start up again. Yes it's extra key presses but I quickly forgot I was even doing it, and I could be very precise without any unwanted edits.

CS6 changed things once again though. Now, when stopped, if I want to cut to a camera I have to press Command 1-4. If I just press 1-4 it changes the camera angle of the current clip rather than making a cut. Yet another button I have to press to make the software work the way I need it to. I've been just pressing 1-4 for years now and know it'll take weeks for me to break this habit and will be making a lot of unintended switches until then. Also, page up/page down to move between cuts--this is a keyboard shortcut that was changed from CS5.5--no longer work inside Multicam even if I change the shortcut inside Premiere's settings. I have to use up and down.

It's been happening since CS3...every time a new version comes out, I'm excited to find that some long-standing issue I've had w/ Premiere gets fixed...only to find something else has been screwed up. I had to return CS5.5 for this reason (Adobe confirmed a bug related to Multicam and MPE w/ CUDA). I really hope this is the only thing I find has been screwed up.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 12:31 PM   in reply to ZachRosing

page up/page down to move between cuts no longer works. I have to use up and down.

That one is already driving me nuts.  But...I figure I'll get used to it eventually.

Until Adobe changes the way multicam works, I do recommend a different work flow for the folks here.  Go through your multicam non-stop to make a rough cut, then go through in the sequence itself with the Rolling Edit Tool (N) to make any fine adjustments.  I find overall this takes less time than trying to make precise edits in the multicam window.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 12:41 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

I think it's interesting that Adobe has given many different options in the new Premiere for changing keystrokes, etc., but here in multicam-land the options are few/none.  Jim, I think your workflow idea is probably the best one yet, i.e. getting through the initial edit non-stop - although it's totally counter-intuitive when you are used to being able to pick up where you left off after stopping.  Again, this issue shouldn't be a hard one to address - I seriously hope this issue could be considered a candidate for a live update to the software.

ADOBE PREMIERE TEAM... GIVE US SOME LOVE!!

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 1:01 PM   in reply to JoshV1217

Let us know the changes you want for multicam editing at this link: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 1:07 PM   in reply to JoshV1217

I have found that selecting the CS5.5 keyboard shortcuts brings back a lot of the "missing" features, like PAGE UP/DOWN in the multicam monitor, and using number row keys 1-9 on the multicam window to SELECT AND CUT just like you could previously.

Does nothing to solve the OP problem, just the most recent posts about moving between cuts and having to use modifiers like CTRL or CMD to activate the multicam cuts. Again, it's a keyboard shortcut capability, you just have to revert to the old shortcuts via the preset or by manually setting your own.

I think the keyboard shortcut customization is a massively underutilized tool by many PPro users. I have so many custom shortcuts, and different shortcuts - although many are shared with the old defaults like I/O for IN and OUT, etc. There's unfortunately not a keyboard shortcut for EVERYTHING in the PPro interface, but pretty close.

As for the multicam record/stop "random" multicam cut problem, yes, that's been around since day 1 (CS2?) and sucks, but as others have posted, the workarounds are available. For me, I have a similar approach to what Jim Simon suggested, except I never do a "record" in the multicam. I play through at full screen in the multicam, pause, make my camera selection, then hit spacebar and continue. I go to the end of my segment then watch it from the beginning on my external monitor. When I come across a shot that looks weird, I use the direct selection in the multicam combined with the rolling edit tool to fine tune everything.

HOWEVER - every now and then, I make a camera selection WHILE the multicam is playing back, and Premiere auto-initializes the "record" mode at that point (camera frames turn RED when that happens) so the next time I'm ready to make a cut, I just hit the spacebar to stop the "record" (and playback), then select the camera angle that I wanted since PPro already made the cut.

It might all sound very complicated, and maybe it really IS more complicated than it should be - that's what feature requests and bug reports are for - but for me, it's just the way I've learned to work, and it doesn't really slow me down, just as long as I understand the rules I'm working with. Changing the shortcut defaults in CS6 DID slow me down, but only until I changed them back to my shortcuts.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 3:26 PM   in reply to Christian Jolly

Just so there's no confusion, I wanted to mention that the first post in this thread is from 2010. Let's make sure we're not confusing the important issues. A lot of positive changes happened for Premiere Pro CS6 and multicam.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 4:15 PM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

"... the first post in this thread is from 2010."

Holy cow! I hadn't realized that.

Thanks, Kevin!

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 4:18 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

"Go through your multicam non-stop to make a rough cut, then go through in the sequence itself with the Rolling Edit Tool (N) to make any fine adjustments."

Good advice, Jim. Thanks!

(Wish this board had a quote option.)

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 4:47 PM   in reply to Jay Gladwell

Jay Gladwell wrote:

In fact it does.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 4:48 PM   in reply to Jay Gladwell

Jay Gladwell wrote:

"Go through your multicam non-stop to make a rough cut, then go through in the sequence itself with the Rolling Edit Tool (N) to make any fine adjustments."

Good advice, Jim. Thanks!

Hi Jay, we do have a quote option. Just click the quote icon in the reply box. Right next to the smiley face!

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 4:51 PM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

Kevin Monahan wrote:

Hi Jay, we do have a quote option. Just click the quote icon in the reply box. Right next to the smiley face!

Dang! I never noticed that.

Thanks, again, Kevin!

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 7:08 PM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

Kevin, thank you for bringing a little perspective to the thread - I do realize this thread started in 2010.  However, For the vast majority (including me) who have come to Premiere from FCP this past year, this issue is an important one, because multicam was THE issue that brought many of us to Premiere. I just want the opportunity to do in Premiere what I have been able to do in FCP for years. With the improvements to multicam in CS6, I'm able to do almost everything. So while this issue may seem like small potatoes, it actually isn't for those of us who use multicam all the time, and who edit the majority of our work in multicam. It slows me down considerably. It disrupts my workflow. As others have posted here it also disrupts theirs. Workarounds are fine, but are just that.

So, while yes, there may be major issues that plague other users that are higher on the priority list, this is obviously an issue that has been going on for a while that should certainly be addressed, especially now that new light has been shown on it. This issue is not a showstopper, but definitely a huge annoyance and I would guess most anyone used to multicam in FCP is going to feel exactly the same way. Some editors may like the current behavior, and for them it makes sense to allow an option to keep things as they are, or provide the choice. I'm all about that - let the editor choose the desired behavior.  I know Adobe has really worked to give editors that kind of control in many facets of CS6 - this is just another example/extension of that possibility in this scenario.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 9:24 PM   in reply to BillVincent

I just want the opportunity to do in Premiere what I have been able to do in FCP for years.

I think all editors would agree on that one.  But do keep in mind that achieving the same result may require a different work flow, as Premiere Pro is a different program.  Currently, you can achieve the same results using a different work flow, so I'd say that adding genuinely new features and fixing bugs should take priority over making Premiere Pro behave the same as FCP (a program you did abandon, after all).

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 10:17 PM   in reply to Christian Jolly

I have found that selecting the CS5.5 keyboard shortcuts brings back a lot of the "missing" features, like PAGE UP/DOWN in the multicam monitor, and using number row keys 1-9 on the multicam window to SELECT AND CUT just like you could previously.

You're right, I switched back to 5.5 and everything in Multicam worked as it previously did. I didn't really want to do that--I figure it's best to embrace what's changed in CS6 now rather than later, but the way it changed Multicam was a non-starter for me. And there didn't seem to me a way to fix the problem simply by changing keyboard settings in the CS6 preset. Maybe someone can shed some light here...is there a way to make it so you don't have to hold down command to make an edit while still using the CS6 shortcuts?

Anyone who is frustrated by the extra edit when you stop playing, my advice is to get in the habit of pressing space bar when you're ready to switch cameras, press the number key for the camera you want and then press space bar again. Yes, it's two extra key presses, but you get used to it quickly and it allows you to be specific about your edits the first time.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 3:22 AM   in reply to ZachRosing

I must be missing something here. I would rather use the CS6 keyboard shortcuts and get used to the changes, but with the CS6 set selected, the "spacebar, camera number, spacebar" method of changing m/c tracks in the m/c monitor doesn't work, the yellow border moves to the correct monitor but no edits appear in the timeline. Switch to the CS55 set and it works fine

In the CS6 set, numeric keys 1-10 etc are assigned to "select camera 1 - 10", if you clear those shortcuts, then the keys have no effect (as you might expect) but in the CS55 set the "select camera" shortcuts are not assigned to any keys, yet the numeric keys select the camera AND make edits in the timeline.

Can somebody please tell me what shortcut(s) I need to change in the CS6 set to make this functionality work. Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2012 11:54 AM   in reply to Jacob Dyer

I'd just like to add that I have the same frustration with uninteded cuts upon stopping multicam. I have also filed a feature request. Let's hope Adobe listens and makes the sofware behave as we need/expect it to.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 14, 2012 6:35 AM   in reply to Jack KDS

So glad I found this post since the switch back to the first camera was seriously driving me nuts!  I'm one of those old FCP 7 folks but I'm trying to embrace Premiere and not just say "make it FCP 8".  So... in that spirit... can someone explain to me the rational behind switiching back to the first camera? 

I do a LOT of very long (1-2 hour) multicam work so rough cutting the whole thing through in one go is not a good option for me.  Currently I'm stopping - cutting - switching, stopping - cutting - switching and it's working but feels like massive work around.  For all I dislike about FCP X, I've got to say the multi-cam there is rock solid and beautiful.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 14, 2012 2:50 PM   in reply to Jacob Dyer

I put in a feature request for this ages ago.  Obviously there are many who feel this is not optional, that it really disrupts their workflow to have this as it is. Please Adobe, make this very small change - small to you, HUGE to us!!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 14, 2012 5:28 PM   in reply to Allynn Wilkinson

rough cutting the whole thing through in one go is not a good option for me.

So do it on smaller 30 minute chunks, then you get fewer unwanted cuts.  (Which are pretty easy to fix when you do the clean up anyway.)

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2012 3:45 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim, that would work, I suppose but my real worry is unintended flash frames when my students are editing.  I supervise 8-10 student editors at a University and they aren't likely to catch those single frame flashes all the time.  To complicate things even more, Premiere doesn't show through edits or allow join through edits making it rather difficult to see the flash frames.

Re-reading the second, original post and the fact that Adobe hasn't addressed this makes me wonder if there isn't some technical reason in the way they've engineered the multicam that makes this a non-trivial issue.  If, as the second post suggests, Premiere treats the originating camera as "live" and thus, "special" in some way.  Perhaps returning to it is hard-coded in the multicam process.

A better solution for me (and my students) would be to always edit live until you've returned to the originating camera.  That, at least, keeps the issue in the forefront of the human editing process.

Now about those through-edits.....

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2012 3:54 AM   in reply to Allynn Wilkinson

We almost never run multicam in record mode.  In fact I don't think we 'ever' run it in record mode!  We get to the point we want to cut, pause, cut, play.  This way we can fine tune as we go along and it saves going back through it later fine tuning.  Because we're paused we can step forward or backwards a couple of frames (using the cursor keys), hit 1,2,3,4 etc and space to continue.   I realise it's not the most optimised way of doing it if you are an expert live cutter and get every cut perfect first time, but it's the way we've found to be most productive AND has the benefit of not giving you any false cuts AND you can undo the last cut with CMD/CTRL Z without undoing everything since you last hit record.

We also changed the shortcut keys back to 1,2,3,4 etc for select and cut.  No idea why adobe went with ALT+NUM for select and cut when that's what we use all the time.  We'd never select without cutting, so make that one the harder keystroke please!   I don't understand the need for all the modifier keys!  We've removed most of them.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2012 6:09 PM   in reply to Allynn Wilkinson

they aren't likely to catch those single frame flashes all the time.

That's why you need a Qualifications step in your work flow, where the finished project is watched from start to finish before the client sees it, with notes taken about any errors or changes required.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2012 6:49 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

I can appreciate the workaround semantics, but the fact is that Adobe sould give professional editors the benefit of the doubt on this issue, and fix this ASAP. Already this thread is way too old with no real fix or resolution. This is THE remaining issue that keeps me from switching from FCP to Premiere for long form work. I know I'm not the only one. This is a serious flaw in the multicam implementation that sould be rectified.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2012 3:32 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim Simon wrote:

they aren't likely to catch those single frame flashes all the time.

That's why you need a Qualifications step in your work flow, where the finished project is watched from start to finish before the client sees it, with notes taken about any errors or changes required.

Yeah... seriously not an option.  We do 3-5, hour long multicams a week!  Watching each of them all the way through is simply not possible.  And I doubt my kids would catch single frames the way I would.

Here's an idea, like Bill says... let's just have Adobe fix the problem.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points