Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

details of After Effects CS6 GPU features and requirements (CUDA, OpenGL)

May 9, 2012 7:40 AM

Here's an article on details of After Effects CS6 GPU features and requirements (CUDA, OpenGL): http://adobe.ly/aftereffects_cs6_gpu

Any questions?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 9, 2012 10:27 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Hi Todd,

If a MacOS computer is equipped with a nonstandard video card (e.g., a modified and reflashed GTX570 or GTX580), will these cards be theoretically utilized by AE?  I understand that it's unlikely that it'd have been specifically tested against, but just want to make sure it's not a situation where it's checking by device IDs to see if it's a specific, approved card rather than by performance capabilities. 

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 9:08 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

what are the reqs for Mac (MVP - iMAc) .

Its not clear in the article you gave us.

I have MBP 15.4 2011 model with ATI 256 VRAM and imac 2010 ATI 512 VRAM and i cant get the ray trace 3d renderer to run (error in final quality).

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 2:20 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Wait, so without putting to fine a point on it, unless i get a better video card, no GPU rendering with ATI cards on my mac pro?  Is there ever going to be support?

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 3:04 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Thanks Todd,

I'm just dealing with that sinking feeling you get when you reaize your expensive computer can't take advantage of the new feature that you're excited to use.  The ray-tracing renderer feature was the main reason i signed up for creative cloud and it's a tough one to swallow for us indie filmmakers who don't really have the budget to upgrade to a new video card.  I wish there was support for all the high-end cards that come standard with the Mac Pros.  Can't have everything i guess.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 3:10 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Ya, it's stable and works fine, but it just takes FOREVER.  It's hard to go back from multi-core rendering and the speed that's otherwise fantastic.  CS6 is such a worthy upgrade, and i'll probably buckle and get an nvidia card.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 10:03 PM   in reply to mike_mike_motorbike

Hey Todd,

Picked up a Quadro 4000.  It's much faster, but is MP totally disabled with the ray-traced renderer?

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 11:41 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

You giveth and you taketh away!  Anyway, the nvidia card makes it 2-3 times faster. Wanna buy a radeon?

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 9:00 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Hi Todd,

I'm not sure if you've directly addressed this in the forums and I'm aware that, as a publicly traded company, you have to be careful what you can and cannot say about the future.

The situation I'm in is that I purchased a GTX 570 with the intention of starting to use Resolve, but I would also really like to be able to leverage CUDA accelerated ray-tracing in AE on my Mac Pro in OSX.  I'm working on a project right now where I'm using this feature in my Boot Camp installation of Windows and it works like a champ.  I would love to be working in OSX though.

Any info on future support for a wider variety of CUDA accelerated cards in OSX?

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)