Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

install questions

May 15, 2012 1:55 PM

Tags: #photoshop_elements_10

trying to install on windows 7 machine using the provided disks.  The program indicates configuration error 16 after restart and attempt to start program.  I have tried to uninstall and retry.  No difference.  What do I need to do?  thanks - Geoff

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 15, 2012 2:57 PM   in reply to Geoff-A

Are you installing on a Mac, or PC?

If on a PC, are you installing the 32-bit, or 64-bit version?

What is your OS version?

For general installation tips for Adobe programs, take a look at this CHECKLIST, to see if you have missed something.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 4:49 AM   in reply to Geoff-A

Have your ensured that you are installing Premiere Elements 10 from Disc 2, the 64-bit Windows 7 version of the program?

Also, have you manually gone to Windows Update and ensured you've installed even the non-critical updates? Non-critical updates don't install automatically, but they can add important drivers and updates to your system.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 7:43 AM   in reply to Geoff-A

Unfortunately, Windows error codes aren't very helpful.

If Bill Hunt's link doesn't help you, you may need to contact Adobe Tech Support. Sorry.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 8:01 AM   in reply to Geoff-A

You might want to search Microsoft for that error http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US

Also, be sure you are in Windows on an Administrator account AND you might start the setup program manually by right clicking the EXE and selecting "Run as Administrator" from the option list

I do not know why, but simply BEING an Administrator is somehow not the same are using the "Run as Administrator" option

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 3:04 PM   in reply to Geoff-A

Geoff,

You might want to also see the link in this ARTICLE. Perhaps someone there will know the error message, and can help you.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 3:18 PM   in reply to Geoff-A

There's a ton of stuff about Error 16 if you Google it. The most common responses suggest it is a folder permission issue. There is a knowledge base article relating to CS5. You could see if it works for you, substituting Elements folders for the CS ones.

"Configuration error" CS5

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 5:09 PM   in reply to Geoff-A

Geoff,

For the vast majority of users, it is not. That is one reason that when one has an installation issue, most of us can only rely on others' experiences, to try and help. We have no direct experience, so can only offer a few links, and general suggestions.

Over two decades+. I have only had one installation issue with an Adobe program, and I have owned most of them. That was with an update to Adobe Illustrator, that skipped several versions. In my case, my S/N was of a much earlier style, something like PW0000003, and that style was not in the database for the upgrade. It took about 5 mins. on the phone, with Customer Support, including hold time, and they had it all fixed. That was about 15 years ago, and every other Adobe program has installed perfectly for me. However, that does not help you, so I, and others, collect links, that may, or may not be helpful.

I would greatly appreciate it, if, when you get to the bottom of your problem, you post the details here. Those details will very likely help others, and will arm some of us with more suggestions.

Wish that I had more to offer, beyond good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 5:53 PM   in reply to Geoff-A

Geoff,

We understand. Few, if any of us, is a programmer, and with but a very few exceptions, none of us works for Adobe, though we DO use their programs.

Your background is sort of a mirror of mine. I gave up civil engineering, to study cinematography, and commercial photography, picking up video-editing later in THAT career. Still, that old "engineering mind-set" can still be useful.

Please let us know what the answer is, and good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 6:57 PM   in reply to Geoff-A

>Neale said... "most common responses suggest it is a folder permission issue"

Hmm... I didn't do any searching, but messages in other places led me to that same idea, hence what I said about right clicking and selecting the "Run as Administrator" option

Getting Win7 to work "properly" is not always easy

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points