Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Is the Premeire cs5 "Bloating" Problem back in cs6?

May 18, 2012 7:35 AM

Hey,

I have project I'm working on, its around a 4:30 music video.  The file size has went from around  50mb to now its about 500mb.

Also it is taking forever to save the video around 2-3 minutes.  Is anybody else experiencing this?  Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 17, 2012 10:28 AM   in reply to SpaceCherryFilms

Not yet.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 10:40 AM   in reply to SpaceCherryFilms

Are you using Warp Stabilizer by any chance?  I've read it can cause this same issue.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 11:25 AM   in reply to SpaceCherryFilms

There are a few threads related to Warp Stabilizer causing giant file sizes.  One good workaround is to render out an intermediary file of your Warp Stabilized clip from your sequence, and then bring it back in and replace the WS clip on the timeline.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 4:14 PM   in reply to SpaceCherryFilms

Try clearing all your rendered files and if that doesn't work try importing that project into a new one.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 4:31 PM   in reply to SpaceCherryFilms

There's a known bug having to do with preview files & using Save As frequently - it'll double the number of preview file references incorrectly on each iteration.  This will be fixed in the next update.  Considering the amount of cuts with software effects, I'm betting that this is what you're hitting.

Importing your project into a new one is a good suggestion, it's likely to leave behind any preview file references.

Cheers

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 8:55 PM   in reply to Wil Renczes

@ Will

Is there any knowledge of any Conforming "issues" such as repeated conforming of the same files?

ie the conforming recycles thru the media files.

I have noticed this occuring on one of my projects.

Maybe it it is connected to the  bloat issue.

CS6 - Win7

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 9:42 PM   in reply to shooternz

I'm only aware of one regenerating file issue, but it's not CFA files, it's the PEK file (ie what's used for displaying waveforms) for XDCAM HD MXF files, and I believe it requires that the media is in some kind of read-only state.  That's also fixed for the upcoming dot.

What kind of media file is constantly reconforming for you?  And is it CFA, PEK, or both?

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 10:00 PM   in reply to Wil Renczes

Hi Wil

The files were AVCHD  (.mts files)

Sorry I am not sure what was actually conforming.

I cant get back onto that particular project meantime to replicate and identify anything for you.

I have dived back into CS5.5 to do that  project based on bloating /save as issue you gave above.

Got a film to make and finish in 48 hours...starting in 2 hours time from now. (Competition)

I couldnt risk any issues biting me.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 5:31 AM   in reply to shooternz

Best of luck, Shooternz! Will we get to see your 48-hour results?

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 8:53 PM   in reply to Jay Gladwell

I'm having same issue. Project has gone from about 75MB to over 3GB in the past couple of hours, with very minor changes in the actual project (I don't think i imported any new media or made new sequences - did add effects and rendered). Very frustrating.

-sam

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 9:02 PM   in reply to Wil Renczes

How come no one's answered Wil's last question?

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2012 9:11 PM   in reply to Wil Renczes

Wil,

When is the update coming?  We have a major commercial that is at a standstill because our project file size is nearly 6GB in size and we can't even open the project.  I'm sorry this is not your fault but this is very bad on Adobe's part.  This sort of elementary bug should have been discovered way, way before shipping.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2012 9:26 PM   in reply to PeterCorbett

Wil, couldnt SpaceCherryFilms just delete all the preview files?

I gues if there are a lot of renders thats impractical since they would need to be rerendered, huh.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2012 8:13 AM   in reply to lasvideo

Hi Wil,

Now that 6.01 has just rolled out, is there a timeframe for fixing the project bloat bug? Seems significant enough to throw your swat team at it and roll out and emergency patch.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks

Ray

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2012 9:34 AM   in reply to Ray Tragesser

6.0.1 already contains the fix for the duplicate preview entries.  If you open & resave your project, it should shrink back down.

Cheers

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2012 9:38 AM   in reply to Wil Renczes

3 cheers for Adobes timely fix!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2012 2:41 PM   in reply to SpaceCherryFilms

The bloating you are experienceing with Warp, has nothing to do with the bloating that Wil is referring to, Im pretty sure. I think he is referring to the "Save as" bloat that created duplicate preview files when saving in that manner. Right Wil?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2012 3:12 PM   in reply to SpaceCherryFilms

I could tell. Believe me, Adobe folks bust their butts to make sure things work.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2012 4:39 PM   in reply to lasvideo

Yep, correct. The fix has nothing to do with the Warp Stabilizer, which generates a lot of ancillary data, and the longer the clip it's applied to, the more data gets embedded in the project.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2012 11:28 PM   in reply to Wil Renczes

Hey Will I am having this problem with file size as well. I am cutting a feature length film and the fiile size is about 1.8gb. I am NOT using any warp stabalizers. And when I tried saving it as a new project it took just as long, if not longer to save. This project was initially started on FCP 7, but I wanted to change over to CS6 for a few reasons so I exported an xml. I don't know if there are any known issues with that that could be causing it either. In desperate need of help on this one as due dates are looming and its tough to get anything done when saving takes about 30 minutes.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2012 11:09 AM   in reply to anthony_bernard

I was having the same issue (not using Warp Stabilizer either).  My prproj file ballooned from 100MB to 1GB in a matter of days, making it almost impossible to open.  I got my file down to a workable 200MB by doing the following: [Warning: be careful, this could be destructive if you don't work from a duplicate.  Never do this to your original project file]

1. Duplicate your project file.

2. Open it with a text editor (right click "open with", choose "other", then choose TextEdit on a MAC. I think on windows it is ctrl+shift right click, then choose notepad or wordpad.)

3. Look for 2 pieces of code that look like these:

<PreviewItem Index="7363" ObjectRef="344492"/>

and...

<PreviewMediaSerializer ObjectID="345345" ClassID="a3cdecce-0e72-4ad3-8b59-aa53b1b54070" Version="1">

<Media ObjectURef="b3a4e115-add5-4cfb-9164-dcfec34cf94e"/>

<ID>7c708748-9a78-1855-cc1d-d88f00000053</ID>

<End>23587781817600</End>

<Start>23172474124800</Start>

</PreviewMediaSerializer>

There will be many, many instances of these.  (Mine had literally Millions of entries of each snippet.)  With every iteration, the entries double in size.  My first pieces of each of these referenced roughly 50,000 pieces of media.  The next 100K, then 200K, etc.

4. Starting at the last instance of each of these massive chunks of code; highlight them and delete. Work your way backwards (or up, as it were) and delete each progressive chunk of entries.  Being careful to not remove ALL of the entries, just the later duplicates.

I suspect there are other areas that can be removed safely, but this is all I did.  It made the project much smaller and I was able to successfully open it.  I've been working out of it for the last 5 days and everything is still fine.  The filesize has actually gone down subsequently. 

Hopefully this is helpful.  It might be good to save a version after every time you delete a chunk, that way if you get to a point where the project won't open, you can just try the previous saved version and so forth.  I'm not saying this is the best way, just what I did to get my project back. 

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2012 6:56 AM   in reply to SpaceCherryFilms

Just wanted to report my findings:
    A five camera multicam project of one hour with about 500 cuts.
    I had to stabilise most of the clips from one camera that was mast-mounted on a  breezy day. The total length of 49 stabilised clips was 7:20 (seven minutes twenty seconds). The project size grew to 184MB. When I rendered and replaced the clips (a tedious process but only took about 30 minutes to do) the project size shrank to 39MB, which is about right comparing it with similar projects.

Possibly worth doing! Certainly it's faster to save, and since I save to Dropbox, it's faster to upload too.

The Warp Stabiliser did a fantastic job of stabilising the clips, almost certainly saving my viewers from seasickness.

Hope this helps someone!

Mark

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points