Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Re: Adobe Premiere Pro Help | Trimming clips (CS6)

Jun 30, 2012 5:22 PM

How do we access just the P Pro CS6 Help Reference instead of all this community content?

Branched from an earlier discussion.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 15, 2012 9:58 PM   in reply to Sengstack

Can't yet.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 10:12 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

I am kind of staggered that Adobe launched and released without Help Files for these CS6 products.

Particularly in the case of SpeedGrade where I needed most Help.  New and unfamiliar applications need Help Files for Users to get up to speed!

Adobe are now relying on the cool Tutorial Videos (which have great value) but are hopeless in terms of such basics as "Setting Up"  and trouble shooting.  "RTFM"...What FM?

I have put SpeedGrade on the backburner because of this.  (I simply can not resolve some set up issues due to lack of available goto info.)  May not get back to it for sometime actually.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 11:39 PM   in reply to Sengstack

When?

Too late in my opinion.

Marketing department took over  the budget for the release.

We used to get awesome smelling user help manuals in a flash box when we purchased the software.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 3:01 AM   in reply to shooternz

Press F1.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 3:39 AM   in reply to Sengstack

Aaaahhhh.. Not just me then.  I thought something had gone wrong with y Master Collection installation becuase not a single product has any HELP guide!!!!  The Adobe Help UI that used to work now simply states 'not available'.  Amazing!  Was this a rush release?

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 9:05 AM   in reply to Missteach

Ah, i thouht you meant just CS6.

Yes i put that question to Kevin.

Have not had an answer yet.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 9:06 AM   in reply to shooternz

"RTFM"...What FM?

I have put SpeedGrade on the backburner because of this.

Same here.  That one's a lot like After Effects, nearly impossible to figure out on your own.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 2:28 PM   in reply to Ann Bens

Regarding changes to Help, please read this document first: http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/community-help.html

[Jeff Sengstack]

How do we access just the P Pro CS6 Help Reference instead of all this community content? When will Help arrive?

Jeff, this is the Help reference. It arrived the moment we shipped CS6. There is tons of new writing here for the CS6 trimming features here on this page. The documentation covers all the new features. I also have some tutorials plugged in. What is your specific complaint about the page for trimming in CS6? If there is a problem with the content being incorrect, or missing info, I can fix it. I cannot fix the way that the new Help system is designed, however, I can provide feedback to my superiors.

Also, we've been plugging in supporting community content into Help along with reference content for quite some time so that should be no surprise. We hope it is a help, rather than a hindrance. These articles and tutorials are from authors I worked with during prerelease, so tutorials are vetted, and the content is valid.

[Jim Simon]

Can't yet.

You can access the entire Help system for Premiere Pro here: http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/topics.html or just press F1. This page (called the "Topics Page"), although different in appearance, has very similar chapter topics that were found in the CS5/CS5.5 Help table of contents.

The only thing you cannot yet do is download the entire Help system as a PDF. That feature is coming next month: http://helpx.adobe.com/content/help/en/x-productkb/global/cs6-help-pdf -available-june.html

[shooternz]

I am kind of staggered that Adobe launched and released without Help Files for these CS6 products. Particularly in the case of SpeedGrade where I needed most Help.  New and unfamiliar applications need Help Files for Users to get up to speed! Adobe are now relying on the cool Tutorial Videos (which have great value) but are hopeless in terms of such basics as "Setting Up"  and trouble shooting.  "RTFM"...What FM? I have put SpeedGrade on the backburner because of this.  (I simply can not resolve some set up issues due to lack of available goto info.)  May not get back to it for sometime actually.

That's not true, shooternz. Help files are available for every Adobe product. Just press F1. For Premiere Pro, the list of topics (table of contents) is here: http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/topics.html Keep in mind that this is a brand new Help system, and it took extra effort to complete the content and make sure that the system functioned properly. If there are any problems with the system, please let me know. For example, search needs to be improved and that is something we know about and are working on.

SpeedGrade Help is sparse because we just got the product 6 months ago. Given our time constraints, there simply was not enough time to develop a full Help system. On behalf of Adobe, I apologize for not being able to provide full documentation for SpeedGrade. I assure you, though, that a full set of Help documentation for SpeedGrade will be available later this year. In the mean time, if you have questions about SpeedGrade, check out the user-to-user forum here: http://forums.adobe.com/community/speedgrade    

[Jeff Sengstack]

The issue is not how to access Help (pressing F1), it's how to access the old Help reference. The new Help system is community-oriented and does not include access to the old Help reference file.

Do you mean you want the CS5/CS5.5 Help without the CS6 content? It's available here on PDF: http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/archive.html

The "new community-oriented" Help is not new. We've been adding community content along with the reference content for some time now. If you mean to say the Help is only created by the community, that is totally incorrect. I am the writer for Premiere Pro, I include all the details of the new features, and I cull content to support the writing.

If one noodles around in community help, one will find bits and pieces of the old Help reference but no single source.

The previous Help content is included verbatim into current Help. It just has CS6 content added to it. It also "looks different" and is more search based. Again, search the PDF if you need to see the CS5/CS5.5 Help without CS6 content.

That is unfortunate, because Community Help is a cobbled-together, clumsy means to find solutions. Wheras, when using the old Help reference, it was a lot easier to quickly track down answers to basic questions.

I would really like to pinpoint what you are missing from CS5/CS5.5 Help. Why is it harder now to find what you need? The main differences I see is that there are no "next page" buttons, or hierarchy links. Is this what is bothering you? By the way, you can return to the topics page by clicking "Adobe Premere Pro Help" in the upper left of the page.

[Wodehouse]

I thought something had gone wrong with Master Collection installation because not a single product has any HELP guide!!!!

Help systems are no longer managed by the Community Help Client and are now handled by the Adobe Help Manager. There may be edge cases where Help might not appear in previous systems. Check the Adobe Help Manager and see if you can have access to the Help that you want. More on the Adobe Help Manager in this thread: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1000134

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 2:11 PM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

@Kevin

This link is appreciated ( I have never seen all that in one place before) and I do understand the magnitude of the task

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/topics.html

My point is really more about access to the download files (printable) which I use in place of the old fashioned  printed manuals.  Being old fashioned my self...I like to sit  and read "paper"  to learn stuff.  Its the way my head works.

Pressing F1 aint always an option if one is not in front of a 'puter with an application up and running.

Other point really is about learning something like the new SpeedGrade is as Jim says...like learning After Effects without a manual.

Challenging.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 2:30 PM   in reply to shooternz

shooternz,

I hope you at least have some answers about what to expect:

• PDF is coming soon.
    • SpeedGrade manual is coming later this year.

As always, I appreciate the feedback.

If you still need to "express your feedback" about the new Help system, it might be better to do so where my "Help" colleagues are hanging out, the Community Help forum: http://forums.adobe.com/community/creativesuites/communityhelp?view=di scussions

I see that some of the posters on this thread have already found their way there!

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 2:59 PM   in reply to Kevin Monahan
    • SpeedGrade manual is coming later this year.

Well that sucks.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 3:03 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Sorry Jim. There was simply not enough bandwidth to do more than what was released. You can let the people in charge of Help systems know by posting your complaint in the Commuity Help forum: http://forums.adobe.com/community/creativesuites/communityhelp?view=di scussions

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 3:12 PM   in reply to shooternz

Craig,

I am with you on Help Files, but have stated my preferences, and concerns in the past, so will not waste space here.

Reading on an airplane is a great use of my time. Maybe Adobe will do the "manuals" that load onto a Kindle?

With some recent Help PDF's, I have just hired Fed-X/Kinkos to print them into bound volumes, though did have one big holdup with © issues with one - I had to bring in my program's installation disc, and then sign papers, to have that job done.

Gosh I miss my old manuals!

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 6:01 PM   in reply to Sengstack

I don't want a PDF. I want an updatable online reference.

Really?  I've always found that annoying and slow.  I'd much rather have a local PDF Help file called up when I hit F1.  There's no reason the PDFs can't be updated regularly to reflect any changes (the only advantage of online Help).

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 7:55 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim Simon wrote:

I don't want a PDF. I want an updatable online reference.

Really?  I've always found that annoying and slow.  I'd much rather have a local PDF Help file called up when I hit F1.  There's no reason the PDFs can't be updated regularly to reflect any changes (the only advantage of online Help).

Most users feel as you do, Jim. They would rather have a current PDF over online Help. Soon, we'll have both.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 8:35 PM   in reply to Sengstack

Sengstack wrote:

Hi Kevin,

You covered a lot of ground. I'll try to drill down to my concerns.

1) I want a CS6 reference just like the one for CS5/5.5. I don't want a PDF. I want an updatable online reference.

2) I want to quickly find answers to narrow questions. The old reference served that purpose well.

3) I am aware that that you have been adding community content. That it is has become the primary resource is surprising. It should be secondary.

4) The problem is getting to answers quickly and painlessly. There are two issues, search and massive content.

Search: I suggest you (Kevin) do a simple search. Try "modifier key" for example. None of the first 30 hits refer to P Pro CS6. And the modifer keys have changed a lot in CS6.

Massive content: That you have assembled and vetted all this content is commendable. It's a great resource. But it's overkill when it comes to getting quick answers to narrow questions.

I selected the trimming features page to make this comment for two reasons:

1) After having visited the new help system a half dozen times and having no luck getting any answers, my frustration with searching for answers had reached the boiling point.

2) There is no option to make a comment on the main (http://helpx.adobe.com/) page. You have said to go to the Community Help Forum. Who knew there was such a forum? Here we are in P Pro CS6 community help, why not have an option to post concerns on the P Pro Community Help home page?

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Let me address your questions:

1. The CS6 reference contains the same kind of content that existed in CS5/CS5.5. I used exactly the same reference material as I did when authoring CS5.5 help. The only difference is the skin, and some of the functionality. I approached writing Help for CS6, nearly the same as I did for CS5.5. The only difference is that it was authored in a new system. It is an updatable online reference that can be contunually updated. I'm not exactly sure what you're requesting. The content is the same. I can understand the confusion of having a combined reference for the versions: CS5/CS5.5/CS6. If you don't like combined reference material, then voice your complaint on the Community Help forum.

2. How did the previous reference provide easier answers to your quesitons? Is it related to search? If so, we are working on improving search.

3. Community content is not the primary source of content. The writing is. Community content is purely supporting material. We have new visual treatments to emphasize the best tutorials, but the amount of community content is not at a level much more than past versions. We used to have only html links, then with CS5.5, we had more visual treatments (my idea, btw). Maybe the new visual treatments influenced you into thinking this?

4. We know that search was not up to par. Search has recently been improved, but it may take a bit of time to propagate the results for a better experience.

What do you mean by massive content? Too much or too large? Would you prefer simple html links over these visual treatments? Would you prefer less community content? Drop the content to the bottom of the page? I think most people would want the best tutorials linked into Help.

Regarding your comments about the trimming page:

1. I can understand being frustrated by a Help system based on search, where the search itself gives you unsatisfactory results. We're trying really hard to improve that experience. Most people do find answers in Help by search.

2. Scroll to the bottom of the page, and then click "Discuss this Page". You can leave a comment there. I will see it and respond to it. The comment, as you probably know, also ripples to the forum so that others can comment. Comments as they existed in previous Help systems is no longer available. Previous comments were based on Adobe AIR, and we are moving away from that.

I suggested that you post complaints to the Community Help forum because my superiors (the ones that make decisions about how Help should work) hang out there. They would likely not see your comment on a Premiere Pro page. The Community Help forum is where they keep their eyeballs focused and where you will get the most attention regarding the topic of Help. This forum is where you can get answers to questions about Premiere Pro, and won't get much traction in how Help functions.

You want to post Help concerns on this page? http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro.html

It's not set up for that, but if you really want that, post your idea to the Community Help forum.

Thanks again for your feedback.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 9:06 PM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

a current PDF over online Help. Soon, we'll have both.

That'd be cool...IF there's a way to set F1 and the Help menu to call up the local PDF instead of going online.  Just having the PDF on my hard drive isn't enough.  I want that PDF called up from within Premiere Pro when I need help, and not to go online.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 11:11 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim,

Let me check and see if having a choice of PDF for F1 is a possibility. I like the idea.

Thanks for the feedback. It is appreciated.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 8:54 AM   in reply to Sengstack

Hi Jeff,

In the past you could do a search that would bring up all the community content. You clicked a button to search "this reference only" and got the results you wanted, right? Now, you can click on the Premiere Pro icon and select Premiere Pro as the reference to search. It should remain this way once you select it. This brings back a search style closer to that you are used to, with reference from Premiere Pro only. I think it should be easier and more obvious to do that.

I see what you are saying about "more" community content. There is not. It's just the poor results of the search that are muddying the waters. Search is not working very well and we are very aware of that. We're working on it, but it may take time.

Most of your issues are things we know about and are working on. My suggestion to post in the forum would simply amplify those needs. You are certainly not obligated to do so.

I do appreciate your feedback, Jeff. Thanks for adding your voice.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 10:07 AM   in reply to Sengstack

I like to see a hdd pdf copy pop up in Premiere.

Like Jeff already mentioned the Search function is terrible even before CS6.

I am always having a hard time finding things.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 11:39 AM   in reply to Sengstack

Sengstack wrote:

Kevin,

You said: "Now, you can click on the Premiere Pro icon and select Premiere Pro as the reference to search. This brings back a search style closer to that you are used to...."

This is what I have been doing all along. I accessed the Help reference from P Pro CS6 so the P Pro icon is front and center. However, this search approach is not at all what I am "used to." This method works the same that searching on community content worked before.

On the search results page (displayed after doing the search, not before), one can now choose between "All Community Content" and "Only Adobe Content." And if one selects "Only Adobe Content," there is an option to search "Adobe Reference Only." So that would appear to be a step in the right direction. But the devil is in the details.

Here is a link for a search on "trimming" within the Adobe Reference Only.

http://community.adobe.com/help/search.html?q=trimming&lbl=premierepro _product_adobelr&site=premierepro_cs5_all&hl=en_US&lr=en_US&self=1&ar e a=0

You will note that the results are ludicrous. The first hit is a video from Layers magazine, the second is for CS5.5 and earlier, the third is about the Project Manager (referred to as a window instead of a "dialog box"), the fourth is about creating and playing clips, and so on. None of the 1st 30 hits refer to P Pro CS6. The tenth result talks about trimming in Audition. This whole conversation started on the CS6 Trimming reference page. That page that does not show up in a search on "trimming" despite the heading on that page that states: "Trimming clips (CS6)."

So...to fix this messy process, let people search on the Adobe Reference Only as an initial option instead of burying that option on the results page, skew results to CS6, and create a better search algorithm to come up with relevant results.

Jeff

Jeff,

Actually the first hit is Trimming for CS5/CS5.5. Unfortunately, so is the second. You are right, the most current material is not surfacing. I've been told that this will improve with time, but I will see what I can do to get some eyes on the problem.

UPDATE: The manager for Help search is looking at the problem now.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 11:36 AM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

Jim,

I just found out that with the new Help Manager, you actually can set it up so that when you press F1, you get the PDF instead of the html. The Help Manager will also warn you when the PDF is updated, so you can have access to the latest changes and fixes. Jeff can have it his way to, to always access the live html instead of the PDF. In the Help Manager click the "Display Local Content Only" button in the General pane and a PDF is accessed instead of live HTML. If you do it right now, you'll get a placeholder instead of the PDF, but you can at least test it. It will be fully functional once the PDF process is ready in June.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 11:38 AM   in reply to Ann Bens

Hi Ann,

It's coming soon. I hear your complaints regarding search. I will see what I can do to make it better.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 2:13 PM   in reply to Ann Bens

Ann Bens wrote:

I am always having a hard time finding things.

I am so stinkin' glad to hear that it isn't just me (Ann & Jeff). Trying to find answers is harder than trying to figure it out for yourself. All too often I select "Premiere Pro" as the focus for the search and still it comes up way down the list, if at all. More often than not it's Photoshop answers!

Man, I was afraid I was dumber than a sack of hair.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 3:16 PM   in reply to Jay Gladwell

Hahahaha, i always thought it was just me: blond and foreign.

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2012 7:15 AM   in reply to Sengstack

Did you find the help manager? It's actually called Adobe Help and is installed with the suite.

Sengstack wrote:

What Help Manager? How do I access this? From within P Pro? If it's accessed from within the Adobe website, I'm guessing we have to log-in to have that work? Please tell me more about this?

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2012 9:36 AM   in reply to Jerry Klaimon

The only way I know to acces is by going to Program filesx86/Adobe.

Content is not available until june.

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2012 9:57 AM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

Jim,

I just found out that with the new Help Manager, you actually can set it up so that when you press F1, you get the PDF instead of the html.  It will be fully functional once the PDF process is ready in June.

Dude, that is freakin' AWESOME!

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2012 10:34 AM   in reply to Jerry Klaimon

Did you find the help manager? It's actually called Adobe Help and is installed with the suite.

Ha, ha! Yopu know you're over-engineering when the user can't find help because you've named it something exotic.

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2012 11:43 AM   in reply to Stan Jones

Yeah. something's wrong when you need help finding the Help system.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2012 5:19 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Here are links to the documents for all CS6 applications, in both PDF and HTML format:

http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2010/08/help-documents-for- creative-suite-5-pdf-and-html.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2012 5:31 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Thanks, Todd!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)