Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

LR4 / PS CS6 no image

May 15, 2012 1:18 PM

This was all working prior to upgrading to CS6.....  but now when I right click on an image in LR4 and choose "Edit In" --> Photoshop CS6 then Photoshop CS6 launches but the image never appears.

It all seems correctly configured in the Preferences, but there is no additional image being stacked with the original either.

Any ideas?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 15, 2012 2:51 PM   in reply to ExactImage

What OS are you working with?

Simply installing Photoshop CS6 shouldn't cause this kind of behavior, but depending on the OS there may be some other things going on.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 8:40 AM   in reply to ExactImage

Same exact issue for me.  MacOS 10.7.4.  Photoshop CS6. LR 4.0. Camera Raw 7.0.

I still have Photoshop CS5 Extended installed as well.  LR was installed long before CS6.  The external editing worked properly with CS5.  When I installed CS6, LR immediately recognized it and made CS6 the primary external editor.  Just as ExactImage experiences, when I choose "Edit In" and select PS CS6, CS6 launches but the duplicate image is not created for editing in LR and it never appears in CS6.

I opened the LR Preferences and chose PS CS5 as the additional external editor.  If I right-click and choose "Edit In" and select Photoshop CS5, it creates the duplicate image for editing, stacks it in LR, and it appears in CS5 as it should. But it still fails to work for CS6.

The same settings exist for each (TIFF, ProPhoto RGD, 16bits, Resolution of 300dpi, Compression: None).

Any thoughts?

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 9:51 AM   in reply to Crezee

So, when sending the same file to Photoshop, it works in CS5, but does not in CS6? What type of file is this that it requires duplicating the file in LR first?

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 10:15 AM   in reply to ExactImage

Correct. LR creates a copy for editing with LR adjustments applied and then sends that file to PS for additional editing when it is working correctly.

I experience the problem with CS6 with raw files or jpegs from a Canon 7D. And it is working properly with CS5.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 12:43 PM   in reply to ExactImage

I have the same issue, working on Windows Vista 64bit. I just installed it this morning, the "Edit in" option was working fine with PS CS5. My only workaround is to export as a PSD or DNG and edit in PS then import the edited file back into LR. It's annoying and time consuming since LR and PS CS6 should work seamlessly...

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 11:40 PM   in reply to ExactImage

I was having the same issue earlier today, I just downloaded the new ACR 7.1 release candidate (http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/cameraraw7-1/) and it took care of my issue. It doesn't stack the images like it used to with CS5 at first, nor does it ask me if i want to edit the original or the edited with LR changes. It opens a raw file with LR edits applied to it, even cloning and adjustment brush changes. Once you edit something in PS and save it, it will save it using what ever preference you selected, and then it will add a new file to LR and stack it together with the original. its a little weird but it works and thats all i care about

Im using Windows Vista 64 Bit, Nikon D4 NEF files.

I hope this helps. it helped me.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 1:28 AM   in reply to domitor

domitor wrote:

It doesn't stack the images like it used to with CS5 at first, nor does it ask me if i want to edit the original or the edited with LR changes. It opens a raw file with LR edits applied to it, even cloning and adjustment brush changes. Once you edit something in PS and save it, it will save it using what ever preference you selected, and then it will add a new file to LR and stack it together with the original. its a little weird but it works and thats all i care about

What you describe is normal behaviour for LR - it's working exactly as it should do.

You would only get a prompt to edit original, edit copy, etc if the file you tried to open in an external editor (PS) wasn't a raw file (e.g. if you tried to open a TIFF or JPEG), otherwise it opens directly into PS (having being rendered first using ACR but using the settings you applied in the LR develop module) without the need to save and stack an image first. The reason it was working differently in CS5 is because the two weren't directly compatible, so LR had to render an image before passing it over to PS, hence it giving you the "edit original" message, immediatley appearing in the catalogue, and being stacked with the original before you actually did anything in PS. Hope this makes sense!

M

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2012 6:16 PM   in reply to Mollysnoot

I'm sorry, but I still cannot see a picture in Photoshop CS6. If this is normal, can I get my money back, I'll stick with CS5. I can click the title bar and drag the picture around, I can see it then. As soon as I let go of the mouse it goes to the color of the artboard color. I can work on the layers, blindly, and when I drag it around again I can see the changes. As soon as I let go of the mouse, good bye.

This happens with Bridge also. If you guys cannot come up with a fix fast, I need a rebate!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2012 1:19 AM   in reply to ExactImage

Having the same problem after recently upgrading to CS6 and using Lightroom 4.2.  Worked fine with CS5. Have had success about one occasion in twenty.  Entirely unsatisfactory.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2012 2:34 AM   in reply to BobRowe

BobRowe wrote:

I'm sorry, but I still cannot see a picture in Photoshop CS6. If this is normal, can I get my money back, I'll stick with CS5. I can click the title bar and drag the picture around, I can see it then. As soon as I let go of the mouse it goes to the color of the artboard color. I can work on the layers, blindly, and when I drag it around again I can see the changes. As soon as I let go of the mouse, good bye.

This happens with Bridge also. If you guys cannot come up with a fix fast, I need a rebate!

?  I never said not seeing an image in CS6 was "normal". Re-read my post. The issue you're descibing here (which is, so far as I can tell, entirely different than the one originally covered in this post from back in May) sounds like it may possibly be a graphics card issue, e.g. hardware, not Adobe software.  

Also, please note that this is a user-to-user forum, not a direct link to Adobe. Therefore, we're unlikely to be able to help you with any rebate you may wish to request. You'd need to contact them directly rather than posting in a public forum.

M

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2012 2:42 AM   in reply to Mollysnoot

I have just reinstalled ACR7.2 and the problem appears resolved (I use Mac OS).

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2013 8:22 PM   in reply to Crezee

Revert from ACR7.4 to ACR 7.1 - the installer won't let you do it (the one you download from Adobe). Heres a way to force it:

Find and download the OLD ACR7.1 update dmg (from adobe). I got mine here: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=6968.0   Mount it, navigate thru the payload folder until you find adobecameraraw7.0allxxxxxxxxx .DMG file. Double click it to mount it. Once mounted, navigate to Assets1-> universal and you will see Camera Raw.plugin. copy this file. Now in Finder, navigate to /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Plug-ins/CS6/File Formats/

There you will see the current (Likely 7.4) ACR plugin. Paste the file copied from earlier. Overwrite the old one. Open LR, try editing in PS CS6. Should open up. I recognize that it will ask you if you want to render in LR (yes, you do).. and its not perfect, however it beats not having any image populate itself into CS6 at all.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points