Skip navigation
iinnqqiitt
Currently Being Moderated

How to save files with spaces insted of dashes in Save for Web dialog window in Illustrator CS6?

May 17, 2012 4:26 AM

Question in subject.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 17, 2012 4:51 AM   in reply to iinnqqiitt

A web server doesn't like spaces, so the function replaces them. You can't alter that.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 8:31 PM   in reply to iinnqqiitt

I couldn't agree more.  Save For Web needs to use the filename established by the user, and not some arrogantly assumed "Screw you, we know what's best."

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 9:45 PM   in reply to iinnqqiitt

If you mean underscores you can do tht for sure!

Underscopes is that a Typo?

But to clarify something the feature is Save for the Web for a reason. And if you think about it there is no real e=reason youwould need this feature for conceptualizing or the like. You can always save a gif or jpeg without the need to optimize fror the web.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 10:17 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

I'm coming from a PSE background, and find it invaluable to use Save For Web to create PNG "snapshots" of intermediate steps when creating a tutorial or answering a question about technique.  For that use, I couldn't care less about what "optimization" is being done, but being able to quickly reduce the size (as a percentage) in SFW is great for images I post in the forums.

The bottom line is that SFW is a versatile tool, and its file-naming convention needs to respect the intentions of the author.

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 10:39 PM   in reply to photodrawken

file-naming convention needs to respect the intentions of the author.

I am not so sure of that as you are this is something you want but I guarantee you that if changing this messed up a lot of people because "Hey why call it "Save for the Web" if it odesn't automatically save it with the right name and automatically fillin the spaces with a dash? Hey Adobe…Huh!"

You mght think it is fine but Iseemed torecall there was once a big to do about people thinking all they had to do was save for the web and all would be correct.

I agree with them even if you think it should be free flowing not everything works well that way and where as doing a project for the web might take hundres of images easily I doubt that your tutorials would have more the a dozen images.

I don't think under those circumsrances that anything should be changed. I would prefer underscores so I have to manually make certain I put them in, but there is no problem doing that for me.

So we still disagree maybe he y will leave it aas is and maybe they will change but I think they will not change it.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 10:40 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Wade_Zimmerman wrote:

Underscopes is that a Typo?

Seriously? YOU'RE pointing out a typo????

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 10:54 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Yep, we'll have to agree to disagree about that. 

I absolutely agree that if this behaviour is what AI has been using in the past, then changing the behaviour will cause great consternation.  However, times change and people need to adapt to the fact that SFW can be used for much more than they're used to.  I'm willing to bet that you're saving your Web work as two documents:  My_current_page.ai and My_current_page.png.  Much better for users to be aware of their ultimate target and name their AI file accordingly.  Then SFW matches the user's naming convention and all is well.

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 1:42 AM   in reply to photodrawken

The feature is used to turn slices into images. People repurpose their content from print to web. And maybe some just don't like underscores in filenames on their system. So SFW has this automatism. At the time I have used the SFW features of Illustrator and Photoshop more than I do now, I was very glad that I didn't need to care about correct filenames (it corrects my ö,ä,ü and ß as well and, yes, I want to have those in my filenames).

You maybe right that it would be nice to have a choice if Illustrator should change  filenames or not.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points