Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

When Soft Proofing in LR4 most of my loaded printer profiles are not visible

May 16, 2012 1:38 PM

Tags: #print #proof #lr4 #lightroom4 #soft_proofing #proofing

I am running LR4 and CS6 on an HP desktop with 4Gig Ram, Win 7 Home, Profiled Monitor using DataColor

In CS6, all my loaded ICC printer profiles appear when setting up the soft proofing...

SP-CS6-5-16-2012 4-30-40 PM.jpg

In LR4, most of the profiles do not appear...

The problem is that I print to an Epson 7600 CMYK printer with UltraChrome Ink and mostly on Canvas so I need to proof for that environment.

SP-LR4-5-16-2012 4-27-09 PM.jpg

The problem is that I print to an Epson 7600 CMYK printer with UltraChrome Ink and mostly on Canvas so I need to proof for that environment.

Photos of the two different pull downs are attached.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 16, 2012 1:57 PM   in reply to jwArtWorks

At this time Lightroom does not support CYMK output proofing.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 1:59 PM   in reply to jwArtWorks

Lr does not display and does not use CMYK profiles. Photoshop does.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 5:25 PM   in reply to jwArtWorks

You should be profiling in RGB, not CMYK, since the printer is an RGB device.

http://lists.apple.com/archives/colorsync-users/2003/Nov/msg00034.html

|
    Mark as:
  • Andrew Rodney
    1,391 posts
    Apr 16, 2009
    May 17, 2012 7:27 AM   in reply to jwArtWorks

jwArtWorks wrote:

The Epson 7600 Pro is a CMYK printer.

Ah, no it really isn’t. At least the native Epson driver (Quickdraw/GDI) expects RGB data.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 7:34 AM   in reply to jwArtWorks

Not sure what makes you think the Epson 7600 is a CMYK printer, but it isn't. You may be running a CMYK RIP attached to it, but the printer accepts RGB data, not CMYK. The only reason I can think of needing to profile in CMYK would be if you were using profiles generated for a press. I'm sure there may be others, but can't think of one off the top of my head.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 7:37 AM   in reply to Andrew Rodney

The problem on this thread is that NO ONE is communicating or connecting.

-  Yes, the Epson printer inks are CMYK   Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black and shades of that, look at the cartridges.

-  Yes, on the data input side, the Epson printer driver is fed RGB values from the computer.

-  NO, no one is answering the question.   The original poster is asking why his profiles will not show up, which is

something different than the current argument about RGB (input) and CMYK (output).

So, does anyone have the knowledge to help the orginal poster understand why the profiles are not showing

up in the menu?

:-)

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 8:00 AM   in reply to nealpix

nealpix,

The original question has been answered with the first two replies: Lr does not deal with CMYK profiles. It just doesn't. It's not designed to do that. Adobe doesn't want it to deal sith CMYK. Got it?

|
    Mark as:
  • Andrew Rodney
    1,391 posts
    Apr 16, 2009
    May 17, 2012 9:24 AM   in reply to Danny Michael

dmcrescent wrote:

Not sure what makes you think the Epson 7600 is a CMYK printer, but it isn't. You may be running a CMYK RIP attached to it, but the printer accepts RGB data, not CMYK. The only reason I can think of needing to profile in CMYK would be if you were using profiles generated for a press. I'm sure there may be others, but can't think of one off the top of my head.

Well you can send either RGB or CMYK to the printer but you have to first setup the proper driver for either. Unless you are proofing (make my Epson simulate a press sheet), I can’t think of any reason to send it CMYK data. The limitation is the driver in terms of what you send it. With a 3rd party driver (might be a RIP, might not) it can be possible to send CMYK data to the Epson. Epson bundles the ColorBurst product for this purpose (press simulation, use of CMYK profiles).

Since the Lightroom path is solely RGB, it can’t do anything with CMYK data. So the profiles are filtered out of the list. And don’t expect this to change anytime soon or ever. If CMYK is your game, well you need Photoshop or some other application to handle this data. And you’ll need another driver. So in context of this post, CMYK is simply not a possibility and that is why the profiles are not accessible.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 11:32 AM   in reply to Andrew Rodney

Thanks for the explanation. Very informative.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points