• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scanner support in Photoshop CS6 Windows 64bit

Engaged ,
May 16, 2012 May 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does CS6 restore the twain scanner function on Windows machines that was lost in CS5, or do I have to continue to keep CS4 on my desktop?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I have read the software companies agreed their will be no 64 bit TWAIN.

The suggested workflow is the use the scanner software for scan and save to a folder.  Then bring photos into photoshoop from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

VueScan automatically puts a "Scan with VueScan" menu item in Photoshop, which automatically calls up VueScan, and automatically opens the scan in Photoshop.

Photoshop never had any scanning capabilities of its own, as I'm sure you're are aware of./  The TWAIN plug-in merely called your scanner's software, and in the meantime you tied up Photoshop with a menial chore.  Scanning outside of Photoshop is much more efficient, as you can continnue to work on something else in Photoshop while you scan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 17, 2012 May 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> you tied up Photoshop with a menial chore.

In my case my scanners are fast enough for my purposes that I don't consider this an issue (I use Windows 7, in case that's relevant).  After years of using 'import' to scan from within Photoshop, this is the way I prefer to work. (Rather than launching a separate app. from outside Photoshop)

The TWAIN scan apps that came with my scanners (Epson and Cannon) have better features than the comparatively lacking 'WIA' flavors I have as an alternative (not that they're natures most perfect software either 🙂 ).

Having to pay to buy another application, like 'VueScan' doesn't make me happy either.

At any rate, I just wanted to chime in that like the O.P., I was happy enough with the 'free' TWAIN environment launched from within Photoshop...

I haven't upgraded yet (from CS4), but my impression is that at least under Windows, you can still run TWAIN scans from the 32-Bit version of Photoshop if you download the right plug-in from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your choice, of course.

There was a very good reason why the TWAIN plug-in was no longer a part of the default Photoshop installation.  A lot of of scanner drivers were very poorly written and caused major problems, including crashes and even crashes at startup, rendering Photoshop unusable.

You're deluding yourself if you think you're not launching a separate application when scanning through the Import menu.  You are in fact launching the scanner's software in the background.  You can still do that now, except you won't be tying up Photoshop while you scan.

It's quite possible that the TWAIN plug-in can be installed even in CS6, and you're free to try it.  It's just not officially supported.  It certainly can be done in CS5, in which version the TWAIN plug-in is also not part of the default Photoshop installation any longer. No one is forcing you not to work the way you prefer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> You're deluding yourself if you think you're not launching a separate application...

I realize that this actually launching a separate application. After years of working like this I just like doing it this way (getting the 'better' scanner app. auto-launched when I need it, and the scans auto-imported into my current session).

> No one is forcing you not to work the way you prefer.

Well, other than strongly discouraging it, making you investigate yourself how to get the needed software plugins and manually installing them, and there being no continued path in the future... 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the input.  I guess I am going to keep around CS4 photoshop for a while.  I am interested in using the EPSON scan utility that was designed for my hardware rather than a generic utility.  I am not a production shop--if I scan an image, I am going to work on it at that time.

I looked at the optional pluggns on the Adobe download page and downloaded.  However, on reading the accompanying notes, I recall it stating that it was for the MAC platform only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> I looked at the optional pluggns on the Adobe download page and downloaded. ... I recall it stating that it was for the MAC platform only.

For what it's worth, I have the Adobe CS6 Beta/Demo version and I tried the Downloaded TWAIN plugin for CS6 (32-Bit Only), mentioned at

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/twain-plug-photoshop-cs4-cs5.html

Running the 32-Bit Windows version of the CS6 Beta (on a Windows-7 64-Bit system) I was able to load and scan with the Canon 'Scangear' application. Well, at least for my 'exhaustive' test of two tries to an MG6220 anyway... 🙂

I also found the Canon WIA drivers to have fewer features (not sure if Canon provides these or Windows), but that appears to be the only 'integrated' solution choice for the 64-Bit version of Windows Photoshop (aside from buying a third party app.)

I also wonder if they could have called the 32-Bit version of the Twain drivers from the 64-Bit version of Photoshop, if they wanted to...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the Twain plug-in installed does the Automate/Batch Process still work? With this plugin installed on CS5 it would cause it to crash as soon as you hit Automate

Cheers

MK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe batch scanning is still broken, but if someone could try it and report, that would be useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I have installed the plugin for Photoshop CS6 (32 bit) and the Windows 7 (64) bit driver from Epson and it works and made my first scan. There is a weird GUI bug that prevents the Epson Scan Window appearing in Photoshop but can live with that. Interesting that File/Automate works just fine with the plugin installed. Adobe engineers swore blind the problem was with Epson and that was the root cause of File/Automate crashing. But just tested it and all works fine

Will go on to do some more testing, and let me know if anyone is interested in the results. I have a whole bunch of 4x5 negatives to scan, so that should be a good test

By the way, my scanner is the Epson V700...

MK

PS: I would like to pin the 32 bit version onto my tool bar, but the 32 bit and 64 bit share the same Icon which makes it confusing  - could just be me . I am relatively new to Win 7 but in older versions you had the ability to change icons, can this be done, or would this need a maintenance release of CS6 32 bit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> you had the ability to change icons,

I would think you should be able to do this by first unpinning the entry from the task-bar. Then go to Start/All Programs and find the photoshop entries. Right click and open properties for one of the Photoshop entries (64 or 32).

On the shortcut tab there should be a 'Change Icon' button. Hit this, and select a new Icon. It might ask for Administrator privilege.

If the new Icon takes, then pin this to the task-bar again.

At least that seemed to work for me... You could also try creating a shortcut to the Desktop first, then changing and pinning that to Taskbar if you don't want to change the base Icon in the Start menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Batch scanning with Epson Scan works, but has issues! Scanning 6x6 cm negatives it correctly selects some, but crops others, tried all combinations of negative size, but looks like it gets confused and incorrectly identifies some images as 6 cm x 4.5 cm. But can live without that feature, just being able to scan 4x5" and 5x7" negatives for now has made me really happy as I can shut down the PC I was using as a scanning station, save some power and real estate.

Now to test my large format printers.........

MK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> With this plugin installed on CS5 it would cause it to crash as soon as you hit Automate

I don't normally use these features, but I did a quick check of what I could (with the CS6 Demo/Beta).

If you are asking what happens if I simply select 'File/Automate/Batch' (with the plugin installed to the plug-ins folder), then I see the 'batch' window open. I can select source as 'Import', and the 'Canon MG6200 series' TWAIN driver for 'From'.

Selecting O.k. results in an error panel, complaining about 'Could not complete the input command because of a problem with the aquisition module interface'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greg: It does not work with the scanner as the source, but just ran a test against some images doing a batch conversion to Photoshop PDF as well as adding a sepia layer to a whole bunch of files and it worked just fine. So somewhere down the line either Adobe fixed the problem with CS6 32 bit or the Epson 64 bit driver was fixed. Not going to put any money on who did the fixing.

But I am regally pleased I can use CS6 for scanning without apparent issues

MK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2013 Jun 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is no need to keep CS4. Adobe provides a twain plugin that works fine for 32bit versions of Photoshop CS5 and CS6. Just not 64bit. I would love to see it in 64bit, but for now 32bit works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 19, 2012 Sep 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scanning outside of Photoshop is much more efficient, as you can continnue to work on something else in Photoshop while you scan.

As a Photoshop user since v. 1, I think that is a patently ridiculous statement. I've always found it very efficient to scan inside of Photoshop, and the loss of that function is significant to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nicmart, I had exactly the same feelings as you, and being able to scan directly from Photoshop was the reason I kept Photoshop 7 installed on my system - it just plain worked and was a more productive approach.

But with the release of ACR 7.1 I have changed my mind and scan outside of Photoshop. Bear with me on this as it is to do with end quality and not productivity. I scan my images as 48 bit RGB TIFF's (both black & white and Color). I then open my target folder in Bridge and open the TIFF's in ACR. The 2012 process just makes these scans sing, and the image detail you can extract using the highlight and shadow controls are far superior than I ever got trying to coax a good image in Photoshop.

I have gotten such good results, especially with 120 and large format scans that I have started shooting film again in ernest.

But agree it does add a couple of steps

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scanning inside Photoshop means that Photoshop is tied up while you scan, and the scanner driver can crash Photoshop (losing all the work you have inside Photoshop).

Scanning outside of Photoshop means that you can use Photoshop while the scan is running, and the scanner app can only crash itself.

Photoshop has ImageKit scanning on Macintosh, and WIA scanning on Windows -- the only APIs commonly supported in 64 bit addressing.  TWAIN is still available for 32 bit on Windows, but it is not enabled by default because so many scanner drivers were causing crashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still shoot a great deal of film, both medium format and large format up to 8x10, and my scanner gets a great deal of use. I still keep CS3 running on an XP machine and use that as a scanning workstation and file server.

I got caught up in the contest between Adobe and Epson with each blaming one another for the problem. Funny thing is it works great in my older versions of Photoshop and I still use Photoshop 7 and ImageReady 7 - why, they all work with my scanners. While I did get Epson Scan to work in CS5 after a number of scans I would get out of memory errors and had to live without Batch Processing working .  That never happened in CS3 even when scanning 8x10 negatives.

PS Image Ready 7 is still cool

MK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The TWAIN support in Photoshop CS6 for Windows is exactly the same as it was in CS5 and earlier. You can download the TWAIN plugin from adobe.com, and install it in the 32-bit version of Photoshop. You will also need to install TWAIN drivers for your scanner by getting the appropriate software from the manufacturer's web site or installation disk. You will need to run the 32-bit version of Photoshop to use your scanner.

There is no 64-bit TWAIN support in Photoshop on Windows primarily because the TWAIN data source manager (DSM) that Microsoft ships with Windows is 32-bit only.

While it is possible for more technically experienced users to download and install a 64-bit compatible DSM to replace the Microsoft version (see twain.org), there are two problems: first, the Photoshop TWAIN plugin is 32-bit only, and will not work in the 64-bit version of Photoshop regardless. But even if it did, and you installed a 64-bit DSM, the second problem is that there are virtually no 64-bit compatible TWAIN scanner drivers (data sources) available from scanner manufacturers (it's a classic chicken & egg problem--there's litte demand for 64-bit data sources, so there are very few 64-bit data sources.)

Dedicated scanning applications like VueScan are popular among people who have more demanding needs for controlling the scanning process, or do a large volume of scanning. The WIA and TWAIN plugins for Photoshop are intended for more casual use, and may be preferable to the expense and overhead of a separate application.

Hope this helps,

Paul Ferguson

Adobe Systems Incorporated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines