Skip navigation
Mark Quarmby
Currently Being Moderated

Many web files not appearing in local view in Dreamweaver 6

May 14, 2012 3:26 PM

Tags: #adobe #mac #dreamweaver #images #dw

I downloaded DW 6 yesterday as a trial version and have found that many, perhaps most, of my web files are not showing up in local view, making it impossible to use.  Going back to 5.5, all my files are still there.  I have more than one  web site and they are all affected by this.  I have many images in my image folders and in one folder, for example, they stop showing up in the 'C's - the rest of the alphabet is missing (they are all arranged by alphabetical file names).  I have tried refreshing but still no more files will show up.  Is there a limit on how many files DW6 will display?  I have to close the image folder in order to see any other folders for that site.  I'm using MAC OS 10.7.4

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 17, 2012 11:22 AM   in reply to Mark Quarmby

Same thing happened to me, and I even deleted the cache. Please advise someone.

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2012 5:05 AM   in reply to Mark Quarmby

Most of us are probably still trying to understand the problem.  See if I have it correctly -

1. You are on a Mac
    2. You install CS6 without error
    3. When you select your site and look at the Files panel, in any selected folder you only see some/none of the files that you know are there

Is that it?

Can you show us a screen shot of what you see in the Files panel?

What are the filenames of some of the missing files?

What is the path to your local site?

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2012 4:12 PM   in reply to Mark Quarmby

I was able to fix my problem. I just didn't delete the correct cache for dreamweaver because os x lion had hid it from me, so I used this link:

http://www.macgurulounge.com/library-folder-mac-os-lion/

found my cache in my personal user library and deleted it.

then it worked. files show now. however, a few days later they didn't show on the remote server, so I may have to do that again.

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 10:05 AM   in reply to Mark Quarmby

when you say that the files weren't showing on the remote server, does this mean those viewing your web site can't see those files online?

An OS glitch might preclude you from seeing a full display of files in your files panel however it wouldn't physically remove files from your  server. 

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 10:08 AM   in reply to Nancy O.

It's just the cache. even for the Remote server, your local computer keeps a cache on your computer, if you delete it, dw will recreate it. you aren't deleting or removing files.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 9:57 AM   in reply to Mark Quarmby

Mark, you mentioned above that you deleted files called "Cache.db" in an attempt to clear the cache.

The cache that Dreamweaver uses is stored in a .dat file with "FileCache" in the name. See this FAQ and make sure you have cleared the proper cache files: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/494811

Hopefully that will help.

monosyth mentioned earlier on that your user Library folder (which is where this cache file is) is hidden by default, so check this article for help opening it: http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/access-hidden-user-library-f iles.html

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2012 2:27 PM   in reply to Mark Quarmby

Mark, and all, I have exactly the same problem here, using the CS 6 trial version, which I want to buy, but not if it won't show me all my files. I have deleted the cache.dat in my personal user library. In Lion you have to hold down the option key to get to the library, because they hid it. Then I deleted the whole configuration folder, and that didn't work. Finally, I deleted the configuration folder and uninstalled the trial and downloaded it again and reinstalled it. Same problem.

I am running 10.7.4 on a 20" iMac (made in 2007.) The trial software downloaded and installed fine. I am able to upload files to the server, but I can only see half the files in my image folder. The same is true of the files on the server. Whether I sort by name, or date modified, I can only see half the files.  I have verified that all of the files are, in fact, on the server, as well as the local files being there. DW just isn't displaying them.

Below you can see how my image files end in the "Ms" when sorted alphabetically. There's nothing below that, including other folders, html files, etc.   I also went ahead and dragged my entire configuration file to the desktop and rebooted DW and that didn't help either.  I don't know what to try next.  Someone please help, I don't know what else to do.

Screen Shot 2012-08-12 at 1.37.56 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 9:38 AM   in reply to Mark Quarmby

Help, anyone? My trial is running out.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 9:41 AM   in reply to Mark Quarmby

I've noticed this problem went away when I upgraded to OS X 8 (Mountain Lion)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 9:57 AM   in reply to monosyth

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm still hoping there's a fix under Lion because I don't know how much of my other software will be orphaned under Mountain Lion.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2012 6:14 PM   in reply to Mark Quarmby

Mark, I got the solution!!!!!

I looked under the help menu for Dreamweaver CS6 and there's an item that says updates. I ran the update and voila - all the files appeared - both local and remote.

It didn't occur to me to look there because I thought duh, why would they give me a tryout to download that wasn't the latest updated version?

Anyway, that solved it and I purchased it. It runs out tomorrow.

I suggest talking to the adobe chat live agent and explaining your situation.  Maybe you can get an extension on the trial so you can do the update and see if it fixes the problem. It's certainly reasonable considering you tried to get help solving it. They should understand that no one wants to buy a product that doesn't work, right?

Best of luck,

Kwint

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2012 2:31 PM   in reply to Mark Quarmby

That's good news to hear, Mark. I hope it keeps working for you as it has for me. Big sigh of relief here ... now I can get some work done.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (2)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points