Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

"Fit on Screen" resizes Window - despite preferences set otherwise

May 14, 2012 11:19 PM

Tags: #resize #command+0 #fit_on_screen #resize_window

"fit on screen" and command+0 resize window despite "zoom resizes window" being disabled in PS preferences.

- How do i disable the resizing of the window for this scenario?

- Why? I work on two levels frequently - manipulating details, command-0 for checking the whole, and then zooming back into details. Command+0 resizes and repositions my window disregarding my specific window layout. Fullscreen is sadly no option, i usually work on multiple windows side by side specificly arranged.

Any help is greatfully appreciated!

Thanks,

d.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 15, 2012 12:17 AM   in reply to d.josef

If you don't want the whole window resizing to fit the screen, then don't use the "Fit on Screen" command. 

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 12:19 AM   in reply to d.josef

In other words, the command "Fit on Screen" means "resize the window to fit my whole screen and re-size my image to fit in that screen-filling window".

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 12:27 AM   in reply to d.josef

What you probably want to do is use the magnifying-glass or zoom tool (summoned by pressing the Z key), then use it to enlarge the image (zoom-in) to your liking.  If you need to zoom back out again, press the Option (Alt) key while using the zoom tool.

Message was edited by: station_two

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    May 15, 2012 4:02 AM   in reply to station_two

Why did you change your station, Station_two?

Yes, it seems that the "zoom resize window" setting is limited to the use of the zoom tool.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 4:11 AM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

PECourtejoie wrote:

Why did you change your station, Station_two?…

As explained in an earlier post in some other thread, I forgot/lost my password for station_one and the email account was deactivated so I could not access it to receive a link to change it.  Tried to keep it as obvious and transparent as possible. Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 2:51 AM   in reply to d.josef

Did you try what I suggested above?

What you probably want to do is use the magnifying-glass or zoom tool (summoned by pressing the Z key), then use it to enlarge the image by clicking with the mouseon the image (zoom-in) to your liking as many times as necessary. 

If you need to zoom back out again, press the Option (Alt) key while using the zoom tool on the image, clicking the mouse as many times as needed.  The + sign on the tool icons turns to -.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 16, 2012 5:14 AM   in reply to d.josef

d.josef wrote:

Is there any way to zoom out to a "see all" level while keeping the window intact, with one command?

There's a way to temporarily see an overview of your entire document, and even use the mouse to choose a new portion to see at the full magnification you were originally at.  Press and hold the H key, then click the mouse on your image.

Not sure this will help you but it does sound like what you're trying to do.

Adobe simply calls this "Temporarily Zoom An Image" in:  http://help.adobe.com/en_US/photoshop/cs/using/WSfd1234e1c4b69f30ea53e 41001031ab64-74e0a.html

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 17, 2012 12:08 PM   in reply to d.josef

You're welcome.

For what it's worth, Adobe maintains a site that they watch even more closely than this one in which you can provide suggestions for improvements:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

You might want to make your suggestion there.  Now and again they're known to implement good ones! 

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points