Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Batch relinking - additional information?

May 16, 2012 3:06 PM

Tags: #offline #relink #cs6 #reconnect

I have a very large project that I had to rebuild from the original AVCHD card images, so I now have to go back and reconnect my Premiere assets to the new files (it's a slightly different directory structure). When I open the old project I am prompted to relink the media, as I expect. Unfortunately, Premiere is less than helpful. It asks, for example, "Where is the file 00000.MTS?" but as I'm working with the directory structure straight off of the card, I have 28 files in my project named 00000.MTS.

Is there any way of knowing to which file Premiere is referring so that I can properly locate it? Can I see, for instance, the path to the file as it was previously imported?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 16, 2012 3:09 PM   in reply to Andrew Gingerich

This is one of the failings of folder structures for solid state media.  If Panasonic, Canon, Sony and others have simply used the MXF container the way it was intended - one file to hold everything - we'd be able to batch rename our clips before import and this would not be an issue.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 9:44 PM   in reply to Andrew Gingerich

Nope.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 4:00 AM   in reply to Andrew Gingerich

Here is what I do....each SDHC card is copied to my hard drive and put in its own unique folder (Reel01, Reel02, etc) inside a project folder. So my directory structure on the hard drive is unique. I reflect this same structure in my project bins, so in Project A, I've got a video bin and a separate bin for Reel01, Reel02, etc. Same for Project B.

So....when I offline a project and archive the files, I'm later prompted by PPro to relink files upon opening that project again. I simply cancel the dialog, and then I go and MANUALLY select the clips in each bin and relink. So I'll got to Project A, open it, cancel the relink dialog, then open the Reel01 bin, select the clips and choose "Relink." At this point, I know exactly where to point PPro. If there are 10 clips or 100 clips in a single reel, it doesn't matter as long as I successfully link the first one it prompts me for, then it "finds" the others.

This step has to be done for each bin/reel/SDHC card dump in  your project, so if you have a 5 camera production and 5 cards from each camera, it will get a bit cumbersome to relink all 25 reels but this procedure I use is 100% successful for me.

It comes down to organization and being systematic in the way you work. Of course, PPro could do a better job of helping you relink the media, and Panasonic (in my case) could do a better job of uniquely identifying each recorded clip just like they do on a proper P2 card. That's the unfortunate business about AVCHD recordings, and hopefully soon someone may come up with a good way of ingesting media and allowing you to rename clips in a way that would retain all the AVCHD metadata connections (especially in regards to timecode).

I've actually started planning to work with someone to help me write an application or plug-in for Premiere Pro that will help with ingesting AVCHD. In addition to a metadata rename function, one major feature that is completely unusable outside of the actual recording device is the INDEX function. You can use index marks to set points of interest during your recording. In a recent corporate event, it would have been nice to set an index point each time the speaker changed PowerPoint slides, and during a recent dance recital it would have been nice to do this for each new song and/or performer on stage. For interviews, you could tap the index mark at the beginning of each new question posed to the interviewee. Unfortunately, the only way those markers are currently read is in the camera itself for jumping around during playback, which is nice but almost useless for most workflows, and a severely limited use for such a potentially great function.

If I had the ability to ingest those index marks as clip markers to Premiere Pro that would save me potentially hours worth of searching for points of interest. So since neither Panasonic nor Adobe seem inclined to make this connection, I figure it's up to me. Wish me luck (and anybody interested in this plug in, feel free to chime in and give me some input....and money).

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 4:21 AM   in reply to Christian Jolly

Thanks for that, Christian.  I have just bought my first non-tape camera, and your workflow solves some of the problems I was considering.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 10:21 AM   in reply to Christian Jolly

If there are 10 clips or 100 clips in a single reel, it doesn't matter as long as I successfully link the first one it prompts me for, then it "finds" the others.

Really?  That's new.  Used to be the only way to batch relink was in the dialog.  Once you canceled that, it was one at a time.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 12:34 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim Simon wrote:

If there are 10 clips or 100 clips in a single reel, it doesn't matter as long as I successfully link the first one it prompts me for, then it "finds" the others.

Really?  That's new.  Used to be the only way to batch relink was in the dialog.  Once you canceled that, it was one at a time.

I've had no problem batch relinking going all the way back to PPro 1.0 (and maybe even Premiere 6.5). Especially back in the dark ages of shooting weddings, and using tapes....would end up with hundreds of clips which all were offlined at the end of the project to save HDD space (hardly a concern these days, everything stays online pretty much). If I had been relinking 100's of clips, I'm certain I'd have some memory of that.

So yeah, it's not new, been there for a long time....even if my memory WAS shot, I'd still say it's been there at least since CS2 because I wrote a production manual for a studio and the batch relinking procedure is in that manual to this day.

SIDEBAR: The studio used to be on Ulead Media Studio Pro until I brought them into the light of Adobe. Can you even imagine such savagery?

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 4:01 PM   in reply to Christian Jolly

Hmmm.  Curious.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2012 12:19 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

You can batch relink if you imported the entire folder structure.  Adobe creates a bin with the top folder structure name. When you manually relink the bin adobe asks you to find the first clip. It should find the rest just like when you link footage at startup.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points