Skip navigation
marius_9
Currently Being Moderated

Liquid layout on group (not whole page) ?

May 18, 2012 3:20 AM

Hi all,

I have a question about liquid layout : it's a great function when you change size of page or document, but is there any way to have the same function and rules on a group ?

Maybe some dependencies with another item instead of page border.

If think it's impossible actually with CS6 liquid layout, but somebody knows a plugin, a trick to do that ? Is it planned in a CS6.5 ?

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 18, 2012 3:27 AM   in reply to marius_9

You'll need to expalin in more detail what you are doing.

I haven't really used liquid layout yet in my own work, but it is possible, I think, to use "guide based" layouts to have some objects changeable and others not.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 4:27 AM   in reply to marius_9

OK. Liquid Layout is meant for "whole page" kinds of operations where you want to change the size or orientation, or both, on a layout. If you are not changing the page size, you don't need liquid layout -- just scale your groups. The only thing that you might not get to work that way is the automatic column adjsutments on text frames.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 4:42 AM   in reply to marius_9

Can you show us a screen shot of a mock up for before and after of what you mean? I really don't understand what "really smart rules" you think you need to accomplish this.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 4:59 AM   in reply to marius_9

I don't think this is currently possible given the way groups are treated. but you can certainly file a feature request: Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

And there is a potential workaround, though it may not be helpful to you. Build your group as a stand-alone page, to which you CAN apply your liquid layout rules, then place the page into the other layout. You can then edit the stand-alone page and update the link. I suspect this is probably more work than simply ungrouping and doing the required transformations and possitionings, but I have no idea what you are doing.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 5:47 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Peter Spier wrote:

I don't think this is currently possible given the way groups are treated. but you can certainly file a feature request: Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5e/BH_LMC.png/300px-BH_LMC.png

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 5:47 AM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

Seems to me that this is where the items sent by users end up.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 5:56 AM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

Well, for sure it can seem that way, but I happen to know that SOME feature requests make it in eventually. The Illustrator-style layers panel, for one, is something I requested, and I think you'd find that almost every new or expanded feature in every version is based on a request frome someone.

I also know that your pet request for better footnotes has had some notice, and I do really hope it will get some action sooner rather than later. It's probably the single most griped-about part of ID from long-doc users. Those of us in print really lost out big time, I think, in CS6 resource allocation, but I do understand that budgets are limited and the industry is moving away from print and for a company like Adobe to survive they need to stay with the market. Notes are important for all users, of course, but probably not quite as important as getting an epub and DPS workflow into the marketplace is to keeping Adobe alive.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points