Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Workspace basics

May 17, 2012 10:46 AM

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 17, 2012 10:46 AM   in reply to Community Help

How do I get rid of unwanted menu panels that keep popping up, viz., the masks and adjustments panel that always pops up in the middle of my image when I try to add a LEVELS adjustment layer or, even more annoying, the colors/swatches/styles panel AND the masks/adjustments panel that pops up when all I want is my custom workspace which DOES NOT include these groups?  FYI, by "get rid of" I do not mean close.  What I need is some sort of settings adjustment that will keep them from appearing in the first place.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 11:43 AM   in reply to hfrankWI

To have panels on or off are set in Window in the main toolbar.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 12:25 PM   in reply to hfrankWI

Yeah, the default position for that is a little annoying. I've moved my Properties Panel to the right well just above Adjustments... so it opens in the same column, not fly-out over my document.

Properties_place.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 1:05 PM   in reply to Curt Y

The only checked items under WINDOW are tools, options, and layers.  Nonetheless, I keep getting these annoying and superfluous panels whenever I open Layers > Adjustment Layers > Levels.  I also get them whenever I open my own custom workspace.

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    May 18, 2012 2:02 AM   in reply to hfrankWI

hfrank, given the fact that the adjustments layers, including levels, are hosted in the Properties panel, how do you intend to adjust them without it?

Also, the properties panel lets you adjust the masks, which is very useful, I suggest to make it part of your default layout, so that it does not pop open, like Charles showed you.

I don't get the color/swatches issue. If they are not part of your layout, they should not show up. Are they maybe grouped with the properties panel?

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 4:13 AM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

I have a very compact personal workspace:  one pane with layers, history, and channels.  When I save(d) it, I specified menus and panels were to be preserved.   If I close it out and then open it up (by clicking on my workspace name and choosing the reset option) what I get is shown in the attachment.  The unwanted panels in the middle of the screen on the attachment also pop up when I click on an adjustment layer.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,905 posts
    May 24, 2010
    May 18, 2012 4:40 AM   in reply to hfrankWI

It used to be so nice with CS5 where custom workspaces each had a button on he menu bar.  One click took you to the Workspace you needed - the CS6 way of changing workspaces is nowhere near so 'fluid' if you know what I mean. 

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 6:05 AM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

I AM in CS5.

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    May 18, 2012 6:30 AM   in reply to hfrankWI

hfrank, please use the web forum http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1006816?tstart=0 to add attachments, it does not work from email.

When I spoke about the properties panel, I thought that you were using CS6.

I do vaguely remember a way to get the old floating panels for the Adjustments... but can't point my finger on it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2012 4:24 AM   in reply to Community Help

How do I UPDATE a workspace? It seems I can only create a new one, which means I have to manually type in the exact workspace name (I can't select it) and overwrite it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 11:16 AM   in reply to Community Help

Why doesn't the applications bar display the same links as PSCS5? The links to Bridge and mini-bridge are missing as well as View Extras, Zoom Levels, Arrange Documents and Screen Mode. These are all extremely useful links on the top bar and that space is empty in CS6.

Can we add these items back in CS6?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 5:22 PM   in reply to paulpegg

You need to turn on the Application Bar.  To do this click on Window, go most of the way down the menu that appears and click on Application Bar to make it appear.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 6:07 PM   in reply to T Begas

I don't see such an option in Window in either CSPS5 or 6. Window options are sorted alphabetically and the top 4 are 3D, Actions, Adjustments, Animation and then Brushes.

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Jul 3, 2012 2:28 AM   in reply to ramfade

Ramfade, each time you move an element of your workspace, it will be there at the next opening of the application. It seems indeed that there is no way to update them, so that you can reset the workspace to the new version, unless one does what you described. If you would like a way to update it, I suggest to post on http://feedback.photoshop.com

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Jul 3, 2012 2:27 AM   in reply to paulpegg

Hello, those buttons used to be on the application bar. According to Adobe employees, the technology used to display them has been retired on Photoshop CS6. It was also using some screen real estate on the Mac side (on Zindows, it was displayed next to the menus)

Tbegas, what you say is true in CS5, or CS4, not in CS6.

Bridge is still available as File>Browse, and there is the Mini Bridge panel.
    The screen modes are at the bottom of the toolbar, zooming can be done from the menus, as well as arranging the documents.

I'm also sad to see them go away.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2012 7:52 AM   in reply to Community Help

The Application Frame is displays too tall on both my monitors.  I cannot resize it nor access any of the tools at the bottom.  Is there any other way to resize it except by grabbing it with the cursor and dragging the edge, since obviously I cannot do that when it sits offscreen.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2012 8:03 AM   in reply to ednerid

What are the pixel x pixel resolution dimensions on your two monitors?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2012 4:15 AM   in reply to Community Help

Here's a Photoshop tutorial video from InfiniteSkills that shows how to rearrange and organize panels: http://infiniteskills.com/blog/2012/08/adobe-photoshop-cs6-tutorial-ar ranging-panels/

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 9:46 PM   in reply to Community Help

The "essentials" tab at the top right of my photoshop disappeared... How do I get it back? I tried resetting through Window>Workspace and also Edit>Preferences>Interface>Restore Default Workspaces and still nothing.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2012 11:15 AM   in reply to Community Help

Images appear to be from CS5. I need CS6-specific help. Where do I get it?

Specifically, why does CS6 create a "default window" separate from document windows? I do not know how else to describe this new "feature" in PSCS6. And how do I reposition it when it gets moved under the top menu? I final moved the dual monitor setup to force the top of the window to reappear. Not sure if there is another way, such as a keyboard shortcut (Mac).

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2012 11:17 AM   in reply to Community Help

Why is Illustrator workspace being shown in a "Photoshop Basics" page?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2012 11:22 AM   in reply to rcraighead

The Photoshop Help documentation should be an embarressment to Adobe. CS6 Help is really CS5 Help with a little introductory "what's new in CS6" section.

The big window you want to remove is the Application Frame which isn't newly introduced by CS6 for Mac but it is now enabled by default. Disable it near bottom of Window menu.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2012 11:51 AM   in reply to conroy

Does anyone else out there wonder why Adobe keeps adding bells & whistles instead of taking care of obvious problems that have been around for at least a decade?  It wasn't until CS5 that someone finally figured out that Photoshop should automatically go to 8-bit color depth if a user wants to save in JPEG, instead of requiring users to first change make the change manually.  When will they get around to automatically changing the channel to one's mask when a user is working on the mask layer?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2012 11:53 AM   in reply to conroy

Thanks, so much, conroy2009. Getting rid of that useless frame will make my life easier.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 7:37 AM   in reply to Community Help

How do I set the opening window of the Adobe Bridge?  It opens now to an old 2012 sub-file - I must have set that somehow, but I haven't a clue how!  I want it to open directly into my 2013 file folder.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 8:59 AM   in reply to nlkeetch

Bridge opens in the last folder you were using when you last closed it. Just open the one you want to use and then close Bridge. you could also put that folder in Favirotes and easily navigate to it whenever you get lost.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2013 2:21 PM   in reply to Community Help

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2013 2:56 PM   in reply to AlePeter

Preferences > Interface: Show Transformation Values = Never

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 3:38 AM   in reply to Community Help

I have issues with my panels not being dockable to the right when I drag them. I try to drag, they seem to go over with my mouse, then spring back to original position in the centre, or off-centre of the screen. Seems to be a bug/ technical issue, rather than a prefs thing. Can anyone help with this? I am running Photoshop CS5.1 with latest updates installed.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points