Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

OT: mail not deleted from server once downloaded

May 18, 2012 6:30 AM

My email is not getting deleted from my server once I download it in Thunderbird. Consequently I have to keep going into the server every few weeks and manually deleting it to free up some more space.

Is that a setting I need to switch on in Thunderbird to tell the server to delete the mail once its been downloaded or is that the ISP's problem?

Thanks

Os

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 18, 2012 6:35 AM   in reply to osgood_

Are you using POP/IMAP?  POP does that by default because you are just downloading from the server.  IMAP will typically keep it in sync for you. Then there is Exchange, Blackberry, etc.  All depends on the connection.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 6:49 AM   in reply to osgood_

osgood_ wrote:

Is that a setting I need to switch on in Thunderbird to tell the server to delete the mail once its been downloaded or is that the ISP's problem?

Thanks

Os

Both Mac Mail and ThunderBird have similar actions in that they can ask you when to remove things from the server. I have mine set to remove after a week but you can set as you need. In ThunderBird, go to Tools > Account Settings > Server Settings for each account and change the number of days it keeps the mail on the sever.

Screen Shot 2012-05-18 at 06.45.36.png

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 8:47 AM   in reply to osgood_

From what I understand of IMAP, it syncs all devices that access the account - so example Gmail, if I delete the email on my iPhone, it disappears from the server, iPad etc. I am guessing this is not what you want.

Your star option could be a workaround, although it seems a lengthy one. To save SOME space, you could set up a few rules for the usual suspects and send them to the trash folder and then set the trash folder to empty every time you log off. See: http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=77662  , screenshot 3 shows some options.

I find it rather strange that IMAP is supposed to be "better" for emails but yet I only seem to have issues with my IMAP account. I am quite happy for my POP accounts to remove all messages after a week knowing I have them available through Apple Mail et all.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points