Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Why the lack of flexibility?

May 17, 2012 10:53 PM

Tags: #photoshop #changed #forthehellofit

Hello

A few things I've noticed in PS CS6 (apart from large layer selection problems and pixel perfectl CTRL+CLICK selections not working properly). Now I've done a bit of searching, and I cannot find a way to get rid of them:

• Why have things been changed, that we cannot unchange? For example, in blending options, drop shadow is now at the bottom, stroke it at the top. Why? We get used to this for however many years, then it gets changed with no way to turn it back. How come? How could it possibly hurt that we set these things up the way we like in a modular way, rather than the way you dictate?
  • Path selections. Oh god. For anybody who loves to style vector shapes with strokes, inner/out shadows etc... this is a nightmare. They are in the way. We CANNOT SEE what effect is being applied with a freaking selection box in the way, especially if the effect is 1 - 3px big, how did this change make sense to anyone at Adobe? Now I either have to open the 'paths' window and click somewhere, or press CTRL+SHIFT+H just to do something that was so basic. I don't want to have to do that, why isn't there a simple option to say; don't show vector path selection. I didn't have it in CS5.5 and below, and now it is incredibly annoying.

The other changes are quite easy to get used to, but these two? Is there actually a way to get around them or are we stuck with 2 nonsensical changes?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 18, 2012 4:36 AM   in reply to r6yujr6ujr6j

Hi

I know you are facing difficulities with new interface of PS CS6. But let me explain you that we have completely resigned our PS CS6

I know you were used to few features and ow they have been either changed or modified

But with the advancement we have embedded new features too.

Regarding your query for Path selections --

We changed this behavior because shape layers are no longer a content fill layer with a separate vector mask attached -- the shape path can now be considered part of the layer. So it makes sense for the shape path to be selected (and visible) by default.

There are still ways to hide or deselect the shape path:

-Command/Ctrl-H (or View > Show > Target Path) will toggle the visibility of the shape path.

-Enter/Return will toggle the selection of the shape path.

-Clicking on the shape path thumbnail in the Properties panel will toggle the selection of the shape path.

-Esc will deselect the shape path.

But yes the query related to strkes and drop shadow -- there is no impact on the workflow even after we have changed the order for the same.

-- Baljeet

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,060 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    May 18, 2012 6:39 AM   in reply to Baljeet Juneja

Baljeet, you do not have an Adobe user account, but seem to speak for the company. Do check with John Cornicello about it.

Phillison, The effects have been reordered to be shown in the order in which they are drawn on the image.

If you want to apply them in a different order, a workaround is to use nested Layer Groups, as Groups can now have layer styles.

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,060 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    May 18, 2012 8:03 AM   in reply to r6yujr6ujr6j

Phillison, yes, I've read your post, no need to get upset

The layer effects (drop shadows, strokes...) have been reordered in the layer blending options, so that they appear in the same order in which they are drawn on the image (so that users understand why one hides the other), which is a direct answer to:

"•Why have things been changed, that we cannot unchange? For example, in blending options, drop shadow is now at the bottom, stroke it at the top. "

I then provided a workaround to let you change the order of the layer styles on the image, (yes, you cannot reorder it in the layer style menu) by using the new feature that allows you to apply them to groups.

Hope this helps. Please cool down, the sun is shining, even if it is on top of the clouds This was not possible before, so it's a change that brings new creative possibilities.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 8:02 AM   in reply to r6yujr6ujr6j

Phillison wrote:

For example, in blending options, drop shadow is now at the bottom, stroke it at the top. Why? We get used to this for however many years, then it gets changed with no way to turn it back. How come?

Pierre answered:

Phillison, The effects have been reordered to be shown in the order in which they are drawn on the image.

How did this not address your original post?

Your response was pretty insulting to people trying to help.

Or, insulting to brick houses.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 8:07 AM   in reply to r6yujr6ujr6j

The effects have been reordered to be shown in the order in which they are drawn on the image.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 18, 2012 8:17 AM   in reply to r6yujr6ujr6j

Take a deep breath, Phillison.  You feel some frustration - we fellow users get that and are sympathetic.  But don't think for a minute that it's okay to insult people.

Most of what you see is probably not going to change back, and like the rest of us you're going to have to overcome your resistance to change.  Some of us have been using Photoshop CS6 for several months now, and we're here to tell you it's actually quite usable.  We're offering our advice on how you can best get through the transition too.  Don't worry, adapting to change helps keep the mind young.

PECourtejoie actually read your question correctly - internally the Layer Style Effects (which you incorrectly called "blending options") - if you should enable them all - are combined in a certain order, and Adobe has changed the order of all the lists to reflect that.  That means drop shadow is at the bottom.  Unfortunately, that means all us old timers who think positionally (I'm one too) will stumble for a little while until we get used to the new list ordering.  Maybe this helps people initially understand the product better or something, I don't know.  I personally might not have made that change if I were planning the work, but Adobe chose to do so, and now we have to live with it.  Don't worry, it does get easier after a while.

A lot of folks have complained about the path showing up in the shape layers.  This is one thing I'm still having trouble getting used to, and in fact enough folks have fed back negative vibes on this that Adobe may be considering some way to overcome the problem - a sticky "show path" setting or something.  Keep in mind that for now, as a workaround, it's possible to get rid of the path by clicking on the icon shown below in the Properties panel:

PropertiesIcon.jpg

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 8:22 AM   in reply to r6yujr6ujr6j

And, technically Phil, the Blending Options are to the right of where your big red arrowheads are pointing.

I think you meant to say: "You know what layer effects are, right?"

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 18, 2012 8:39 AM   in reply to r6yujr6ujr6j

Heh, maybe you want to stop before you dig yourself into a bigger hole than you already have.

You're not interpreting what you're seeing properly.  Think about it...  In what way is a Drop Shadow a "blending option"?  Blending Options are just the first sub-function of the panel.  In fact, if you look carefully, there's a little dividing line between the Blending Options selector and all the Layer Styles selectors below.

Yes, it stings when you find out you've been wrong in the way you've been thinking about something for a long time.  It happens to everyone.

-Noel

P.S., Note also what Adobe calls the whole sub-menu:

LayerStyle1.jpg

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points