Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

how to edit using Spectral Pitch Display?

May 14, 2012 4:33 AM

Tags: #audition #noise_reduction #spectral_display

Hi:

am new to Audition so perhaps there is a better way to do this. I need to remove some wind noise and shaking noise in the recorder from an interview I recorded. According to the Pitch Display, all that unwanted noise exists below B1, so I want to delete everything underneath that pitch. Is this possible?

I watched this tutorial, http://tv.adobe.com/watch/audition-feature-tour/spectral-editing-techn iques-in-adobe-audition-for-the-mac/, but it only shows how to edit audio using the Spectral Frequency Display, not the Spectral Pitch Display.

With the Frequency, I can make a selection using the marquee or lasso tool, but when I switch to the Pitch Display, those tools are grayed out.

Any suggestions? Thanks,

-JP

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 14, 2012 7:57 AM   in reply to jplew

If you want to dump everything below a specific frequency, use the Parametric Equalizer in Multitrack.  Use the highpass filter and make the slope as steep as you want. 

But for specific instances of bumps and knocks and clicks that the highpass filter doesn't get rid of, use the spot healing brush in the spectral display.  (Mmmm...I haven't checked to see if the spot healing brush is in CS6 or if it's still called the spot healing brush.  This is what I get for doing this at work.  Crossed fingers...)

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 3:19 PM   in reply to jplew

By the way the Spectral Pitch display is meant for manual pitch shifting. Other tools probably don't work on that display.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 3:27 PM   in reply to ryclark

ryclark wrote:

By the way the Spectral Pitch display is meant for manual pitch shifting. Other tools probably don't work on that display.

Yep.  For this particular use case, apart from the already recommended Parametric EQ high-pass filter, I'd recommend using the marquee selection tool and select everything below approx. 62Hz.  (B1 corresponds to 61.75Hz)  Then either hit DEL to completely obliterate it, or use the on-screen HUD volume knob to reduce its amplitude.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 3:31 AM   in reply to jplew

I think you will find that in audio frequency terms there is a certain amount of "feathering" due to the way the Delete works in Spectral view. However if you want a more gradual roll off go back to using the High Pass filter where you can alter the slope to get a gentler effect. You can use the marquee tool as suggested by Durin to select a portion of the audio and then use the Filter instead of Delete. You can try both using Undo and see the difference in the Spectral view. But in the end it will be your ears that tell you how much you can get away with.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 8:19 AM   in reply to jplew

You need the Gain Envelope effect from Effects/Amplitude and Compression. Opening the effect will put an envelope line on your wavform where you can draw your "dip".

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 9:36 AM   in reply to jplew

jplew -

Look under Edit > Edit in Adobe Audition > Sequence...  You can send all or part of your active Premiere sequence to Audition.  Premiere will render a reference video, create new clips with handles, and maintain track layout consistency.  When you've mixed and finished your audio in Audition, you can send rendered stems or a complete mixdown of your audio back to Premiere using Multitrack > Export to Adobe Premiere Pro...

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 7:15 PM   in reply to _durin_

Durin, I'm just getting into video.  I'm using Power Director 9 at the moment, and wondering how to go about edits and cuts and keep the audio and video in synch.  Would it be easier in any significant way to be using Elements instead of PD?  (I figure it makes as much sense to ask you as to go to the Premiere forum and ask there.)

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 3:18 AM   in reply to jplew

@ therealdobro

The linking between Audition and Premiere only works with Premiere Pro, not, unfortunately, with Premiere Elements. So stick with what you know, do your video edit first and then export a video with audio in a format suitable to import into Audition. Then you can work on the audio against the picture and use the original audio track as a guide for checking the sync against. So save it safely and don't overwrite it what ever you do.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 4:14 PM   in reply to ryclark

ryclark wrote:

@ therealdobro

The linking between Audition and Premiere only works with Premiere Pro, not, unfortunately, with Premiere Elements. So stick with what you know, do your video edit first and then export a video with audio in a format suitable to import into Audition. Then you can work on the audio against the picture and use the original audio track as a guide for checking the sync against. So save it safely and don't overwrite it what ever you do.

Thanks, that's good to know, but can I ask you another question?  Here's what I've done: recorded sixty minutes of me playing and singing in both audio and video.  It's going to be edited down to about 40 minutes of material, so there will be cuts and joins.  I'm going to overdub a bunch of parts over the audio tracks - bass, keyboard, percussion, backing vocals - the whole nine yards.  Should I finish the audio portion of the project first, before I get into editing the video?  Or can I proceed with the video edits like you suggest and then bring them into Audition to synch up with the overdubbed parts?  I have no idea how to go about any of this except for the audio bits - Audition 6 is lovely.

jplew - I apologise for detouring this thread.  I hope both topics can co-exist happily in the same thread.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 4:23 AM   in reply to therealdobro

It is really best to more or less complete your video edit before dubbing the audio. This doesn't preclude you tweaking the video subsequently but you will, of course, need to revisit the audio in Audition to resync against any picture alterations.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 7:48 AM   in reply to ryclark

ryclark wrote:

It is really best to more or less complete your video edit before dubbing the audio. This doesn't preclude you tweaking the video subsequently but you will, of course, need to revisit the audio in Audition to resync against any picture alterations.

Sorry, but I have to ask: Why?

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 9:13 AM   in reply to therealdobro

Well it depends whether you revisit the edit after you have you have re-encoded the video and dubbed audio together, in which case you would start a new video editing session with the new video files. Or, as I was envisaging, you go back to your original video edit session and tweaking the pictures there which could cause your separate audio track to go out of sync.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 9:52 AM   in reply to ryclark

ryclark wrote:

Well it depends whether you revisit the edit after you have you have re-encoded the video and dubbed audio together, in which case you would start a new video editing session with the new video files. Or, as I was envisaging, you go back to your original video edit session and tweaking the pictures there which could cause your separate audio track to go out of sync.

You know, I think you're right.  I think, because it's a video I'm making, I have to choose the visuals I want first and then slave the rest of the project to that. 

So:

1 do the video cuts and edits with the first audio tracks synched to that

2 do the audio overdubs independent of the video

3 bring the overdubs into the project and try to align them with the first audio tracks

Make sense?

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 3:00 PM   in reply to therealdobro

If you bring an exported audio from your edited video into Audition on one track you can do your overdubs in sync with that. Then mix down your newly overdubbed multitrack session in Audition, with the original audio muted if you don't want it in the final mix. When you take that Mixed audio file back into your video edit session it should all still be in sync with the pictures.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 3:56 PM   in reply to ryclark

Okay, thanks for holding my hand.  I think I can see it now. 

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points