Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

bounce / mixdown

May 18, 2012 8:59 AM

I was wondering, what's the difference between bouncing down several tracls in the multitrack as opposed to mixdowning the those same tracks using the master output?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 18, 2012 10:01 AM   in reply to wycks

My understanding is that the result is identical, but Mixdown takes the new stereo track to its own page in the Editor (with spectral view), whereas bouncing keeps it in Multitrack so you can see it in relation to everything else in Multitrack.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,593 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 18, 2012 2:27 PM   in reply to wycks

wycks wrote:

I was wondering, what's the difference between bouncing down several tracls in the multitrack as opposed to mixdowning the those same tracks using the master output?

If you bounce individual tracks, you get all the clips on that track bounced into one file on a new track - this doesn't go via the mixer, although crossfades and automation are rendered. If you bounce the Master track, on the other hand, then everything feeding it (including busses) gets included, so yes it looks like a mixdown, only it stays in Multitrack and is automatically saved in the bounce folder associated with the session. Pays your money, takes your choice...

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 3:08 PM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

Also if you Bounce the Master output this will include any effects such as a Limiter across the overall mix.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 3:49 PM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

Ha!  I knew I'd be wrong!  Let this be a lesson to me.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points