Skip navigation
hjrw2012
Currently Being Moderated

Delay in "approval" for complementary CS6 upgrade

May 18, 2012 12:02 PM

Tags: #post_announce_upgrades #pau #upgrade_delays

On May 10, I received an acknowledgement from Adobe (in India, I presume) since they said

"Your upgrade request is now being reviewed, and if it is approved, we will intimate you via email about the order status."

It is now May 18 and still no word.  A call and a chat yielded the response that I should get an email in 2 days... nothing. 

How long does this process take?  My trial is running and I will soon lose CS6.  I have usually had good service from Adobe, but am now getting very impatient, since there is no information forthcoming.  Putting me off 2 days at a time is not the way to gain loyalty from a long time customer.

Anyone else experience this?

-Herschel

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 18, 2012 2:29 PM   in reply to hjrw2012

Herschel,

My sense is that such "requests" are just ignored by Adobe.  Seems they expected us to wait until we got the email from them.  a couple of days ago, I received my email and completed the claim process without ever having made a request.

With any luck you should be getting your email (which you would have gotten anyway without asking) in the next few days.  I'm sure they wouldn't have wanted to overwhelm their servers by sending out the email to everyone at once. 

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 2:34 PM   in reply to hjrw2012

Incidentally, check your Spam receptacle in your mail client as well as your IP's spam box on their web site.  Emails from Adobe have a tendency to end up there because the system suspects they are junk mail.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 4:04 PM   in reply to hjrw2012

in·ti·mate 2 (nt-mt)

tr.v.  in·ti·mat·ed, in·ti·mat·ing, in·ti·mates

1. To make known subtly and indirectly; hint. See Synonyms at suggest.

2. To announce; proclaim.

[Latin intimre, intimt-, to make known, from intimus, innermost; see en in Indo-European roots.]

inti·mater n.

inti·mation n.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 10:26 PM   in reply to hjrw2012

May 19th and I still havent heard a peep from Adobe, no email. Are they sending them out at differnt times?

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 10:38 PM   in reply to Inixen

Inixen wrote:

...Are they sending them out at differnt times?

Yes, they are, through May 25th.

As I speculated above, they may be trying to make it easier on their servers.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 10:41 PM   in reply to hjrw2012

hjrw2012 wrote:

...I don't know if it helped or not, but I had called twice and chatted twice...

It may have, but I doubt it.  I think your turn was just finally up. 

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 10:47 PM   in reply to station_two

station_two wrote:

Yes, they are, through May 25th.

As I speculated above, they may be trying to make it easier on their servers.

I was thinking the May 25th would be a "at the latest" kind of thing. But reducing the load on their servers makes sense. Thanks for the replies! Agh, the anticipation

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 10:54 PM   in reply to Inixen

By the way, this applies only to those of us who bought DIRECTLY from the Adobe store.  If you bought from a reseller, then it's up to you to "motivate" said reseller or distributor. 

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 11:06 PM   in reply to station_two

station_two wrote:

By the way, this applies only to those of us who bought DIRECTLY from the Adobe store.  If you bought from a reseler, then it's up to you to "motivate" said reseller or distributor.

Sorry Station, that's wrong. Regardless of whether you purchased your CS5/5.5 from Adobe directly, or an authorized reseller, to receive the Complementary CS6, you deal with Adobe directly.

I'm sure Adobe are swamped right now, so it'll take a while, but don't waste your time contacting your reseller, they'll just send you back to Adobe.

I work for an authorized Adobe reseller, we are not involved in the complimentary upgrade process in any way shape or form.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 11:14 PM   in reply to pf22

In that case, I wonder how Adobe would ever know someone bought CS5 from you during the specified time frame and hasn't registered the product with Adobe?

If I had bought from you, you can bet I would have been on your case if only to motivate you into sending me an email directing me back to Adobe. 

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 11:18 PM   in reply to pf22

Or what about somebody who bought the product from you a couple of years ago but only registered last month?  Would Adobe send him the claim email too?

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 11:18 PM   in reply to station_two

station_two wrote:

In that case, I wonder how Adobe would ever know someone bought CS5 from you during the specified time frame and hasn't registered the product with Adobe?

They ask for proof-of-purchase... a copy of your reciept, regardless.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 11:20 PM   in reply to pf22

They didn't ask me a thing.  They just sent me the email with instructions.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 11:50 PM   in reply to station_two

According to the instructions on the German site, if you bought in the Adobe Store, you get an email from Adobe with a coupon code which you can use to order the free upgrade.  You need to provide the order number for the qualifying purchase.  If you bought the qualifying product from a different vendor, the process is more complicated and you must provide a purchase receipt that contains:

• Name and address of the vendor
    • Qualifying product and version
    • Date of purchase
    • Purchase price

The instructions are not very clear - there are two separate pages, one describing the process if you bought at Adobe store and another page describing the process if you bought from a vendor, but both pages contain information about both cases.  It looks to me, however, like only people who ordered from the Adobe store will get an email from Adode on May 25 at the latest. Customers who bought from another vendor must create an Adobe account and fill out the fields on the page  "Upgrade after announcement of a new product version".  I have no idea where that page is and there is no link to it.  Not very customer friendly.

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2012 12:00 AM   in reply to acresofgreen

acresofgreen wrote:

I have no idea where that page is and there is no link to it.

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/upgrade-policy-produ ct-announcement.html Could this be what you're looking for? Not sure what locale that page is though. I agree, very hard to find stuff on their website. That's why I bookmark all important pages xD. That's the only way to browse the Adobe website.

Also, glad I bought directly from Adobe. Reseller process seems a bit convoluted.

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2012 12:39 AM   in reply to Inixen

In my case, I got the email from Adobe automatically, without requesting it, and it contained a link which took me directly to the web page featuring my order.  There were download buttons there, one through Akamai and another one directly with a browser.  That was it.  No "coupon" of any sort and no proof of anything required.

I suppose the link embedded in the email already contained a virtual coupon.

Though I've been an Adobe customer since the early 1980s and the list of my registered products there goes over a couple of screens, the upgrade to CS5 was the very first time I ordered directly from Adobe, even though I could have saved some $20 in taxes and shipping charges if I had bought from Amazon.com.  I'm glad I did it this way.

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2012 6:38 AM   in reply to station_two

station_two wrote:

I suppose the link embedded in the email already contained a virtual coupon.

Yep, the link supplied in the email takes you to the product page, and if you look in the url there is a "promoCode=XXXXXXXX" addition to the url. (Found out from the troubleshooting page)

station_two wrote:

Though I've been an Adobe customer since the early 1980s and the list of my registered products there goes over a couple of screens, the upgrade to CS5 was the very first time I ordered directly from Adobe, even though I could have saved some $20 in taxes and shipping charges if I had bought from Amazon.com.  I'm glad I did it this way.

First timer here, so I've currently only got CS5.5 as my first registered product .

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2012 8:58 AM   in reply to acresofgreen

acresofgreen wrote:

Customers who bought from another vendor must create an Adobe account and fill out the fields on the page  "Upgrade after announcement of a new product version".  I have no idea where that page is and there is no link to it.  Not very customer friendly.

Here you go. Same link as my mail above.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 1:15 AM   in reply to hjrw2012

Quick question. I've heard that Adobe are handing out the emails based on your purchase date. From what I understand, those who ordered earlier get the email earlier.

Support transcript from someone having the same issue:

Vijay Kanna : No, its not like what you think. The email will be sent automatically according to the date of purchase.

david: oh i see

Vijay Kanna : The customer who are eligible according to the date which is much before than the date that you placed with receive the email first.

david: is there a way to speed up the process? I need to make use of some features available in cs6

Vijay Kanna : David, as you know this is a automated process according to the date of purchase and we will not be able to expedite this process.

So, my question is, when did you guys order your products?

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 1:25 AM   in reply to Inixen

Inixen wrote:

So, my question is, when did you guys order your products?

I think going down that road may make people be more concerned than they are now.  There are many Adobe Stores and fulfillment centers around the world, and probably more than one download server. You may be the first person to order in Australia, but the last person to order in the U.S. Who knows how that figures into the computation? 

The time to start worrying is when the deadline for the email passes (May 25?).

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 1:57 AM   in reply to Inixen

Inixen wrote:

…So, my question is, when did you guys order your products?

FWIW, I ordered Photoshop CS5 in the box on March 30, 2012.  Received the DVD, installed and registered the product (CS5) on April 6.

Received the email, downloaded, installed and registered CS6 on May 15, 2012.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 1:59 AM   in reply to acresofgreen

acresofgreen wrote:

…The time to start worrying is when the deadline for the email passes (May 25?).

Yes, that will be this Friday.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 2:08 AM   in reply to station_two

station_two wrote:

FWIW, I ordered Photoshop CS5 in the box on March 30, 2012.  Received the DVD, installed and registered the product (CS5) on April 6.

Received the email, downloaded, installed and registered CS6 on May 15, 2012.

Hmm, I should be soon then, I hope. lol

acresofgreen wrote:

…The time to start worrying is when the deadline for the email passes (May 25?).

True, I just hope it doesn't come to that. Knowing Adobe though, I probably will get it right on the 25th xD

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2012 5:37 AM   in reply to Inixen

June 1 in Asia and still haven't heard from Adobe ... seems to be a delay somewhere.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points