Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Dynamic Link between Premiere Pro 6 and After Effects won't refresh

May 18, 2012 9:18 AM

Tags: #premiere_pro #cs6 #after_effects_cs6

Hi,

I needed to make changes to a recently finished 5.5 project. It was my first attempt at using the Adobe Dynamic Link function which basically treats a Ae composition as if it were a sub comp (or nested sequence) in Pr. This worked pretty good in Pr 5.5, all changes I made to the Ae 5.5 comp were quickly updated (or refreshed) in the nested sequence in Pr 5.5.

Unfortunately, in the mean time I had updating to Pr 6 and Ae 6. There were several issues with the converted Ae 6 project (previous animation presets were not working anymore). I fixed these fairly easily by adding the presets again from the the effects pallet, the key frames worked still miraculously.

The more annoying issue was that the refreshing of changes made in Ae were not showing up in the Pr project. They where there, but not visible. When exported the exported sequence's changes matched those from the Ae comp.

I couldn't find a command to empty the render cache in Pr, so I just trashed the render files from the finder level (the folder with the render files is in the same path as the project file). That worked. I had to rerender everything, but at least the changes from Ae were visible. I have reported this as a bug.

Cheers,

DK

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 18, 2012 5:04 PM   in reply to marq5.1

Hi,

Make sure you SAVE in AE before toggling back to PrP.

Delete the render files and re-rendered the entire sequence.

or try to use http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/startup-screen-hangs-premiere -after.html

Hope it helps

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2012 9:17 AM   in reply to marq5.1

Test again in a new project, not one created in 5.5.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 4:55 PM   in reply to marq5.1

Dynamic Link CS5.5, is not compatible with Dynamic Link CS6. You can import an AE CS5.5 legacy project into PR CS6, or open a PR CS5.5 legacy project that contains comps from an AE CS5.5 project in PR CS6. But if you want to make changes in AE, and have the PR project update to reflect those changes, you need to overwrite the legacy AE CS5.5 project. For example, open the PR legacy project, in PR CS6. Select one of the AE comps, and choose edit original. When the AEP opens, save it using the same name, to replace the 5.5 version with a CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 2:48 PM   in reply to marq5.1

Here is another workaround that may be a bit easier.

Add an adjustment layer above your AE comp in PPro, and add an effect to the adjustment layer (three-way color corrector is a good one that won't make any actual changes to the adjustment layer, unless you actually change settings). This will force the layers below to unrender, and allow you to see the updated AE comp.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 12:11 PM   in reply to marq5.1

I'm too seeing this issue.

However I found a faster workaround than deleting the files fro their actual locations, if you close the sequence and open it again, the revised parts will show unrendered.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2012 11:27 AM   in reply to marq5.1

I have experienced this issue as well.

My workaround so far has been to change the opacity value of the clip in question and then reset it to its original value. Way faster than deleting and relinking any files and seems to do the trick for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2012 11:31 AM   in reply to ~joris

~joris, I agree it's easier to just make an adjustment like opacity or adding an adjustment layer. I'm sure we'll see this addressed in some sort of update.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points