Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Bridge CS6 bug: closing Bridge does NOT end process

May 19, 2012 9:15 AM

Bridge does NOT started at boot. 

Windows 7 -64 (all current updates). 

Photoshop CS6 13.0 extended

Bridge 5.0.0 399x64

After closing Bridge by clicking on the Close X or file/exit, the process 'bridge.exe' does not terminate and therefore thereafter trying to restart bridge fails. 

Have to open up Task Manager, kill the bridge.exe process, in order to restart bridge.

The bug is so variable that just when it appears repeatable, something changes.

Any idea of what to look for?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 19, 2012 9:31 AM   in reply to eliz926

When this happens I assume it is running in the background becasue it shows in the Task Manager?

Have not seen this problem on my machine.  Are you sure it is cs6 that is running and not cs5?  Only one version of Bridge can be run at same time.

I assume you do not have "start bridge at login" checked in advanced preferences?

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 20, 2012 4:41 AM   in reply to eliz926

After closing Bridge by clicking on the Close X or file/exit, the process 'bridge.exe' does not terminate and therefore thereafter trying to restart bridge fails.

I'm not sure this is the correct way to quit Bridge (I'm a Mac user so please help me out here)

To me this sounds as closing the open window instead of quitting the application. Now it is possible this is the usual way to quit applications in Windows but Fro Bridge I doubt this is a correct way. On a Mac I have to choose either the shortcut cmd. + Q or go to the menu Adobe Bridge CSxx and choose 'Quit Adobe CSxx)

Also you can have only one Bridge version active at the time. If you have the need to switch back from PS CS6 to earlier versions of PS on your system (Multiple versions of PS can be active at same time) you might want to change your workflow a bit and only use Bridge CS6.

Don't use the Browse in Bridge option but act from within Bridge itself. Richt click on a file or a multiple selection of files gives you the option to choose from 'Open With" and inhere should be a list from all version of PS on your system.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 8:12 AM   in reply to eliz926

This is NOT TRUE.  "FYI:  In Windows, to exit a program/application, clicking the Close button Picture of the Close button in the upper-right corner of the program window is the same as using the File menu, and click Exit."

If you click the red X you close the window and force close of the program.  Any changes you made to program will not be saved if you have the option "start Bridge at login" checked.   If you click File>Exit the program will go through the procedure to normally close down, and any changes you made will be saved. 

I tried to follow your steps but was confused on steps 3,4,5,8,10.

I used 1,2,3,7,9,11.  Bridge was closed.  Perhaps with all your "browse to bridge you are opening multiple copies?

Hey, how about trying and commenting on my problem with the Find function in CS6?  http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1007726?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 9:14 AM   in reply to eliz926

Not a programmer, just recording how the program responds.  Some like to have all the settings remain the same no matter where they close the program.

Mine are on.

But that is imaterial to what I did.  Opened raw image (NEF) by double clicking.  THerefore 3,4,5,6 not necessary.

When you use Find and choose "include non-indexed files" can you see indexing working?

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 9:25 AM   in reply to eliz926

By the way, I never use File/browse to Bridge.  For me it is more intutive and less keystrokes just to click on the BR icon at bottom of screen when I want to switch to Bridge, or any other program.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 9:34 AM   in reply to eliz926

I see the same error on a windows 7 ultimate 64bit but then on the process photoshop.exe,

Only CS6 is installed. Starting the process by clicking on a picture choose open with photoshop.

After closing doesn't matter for how long working in it. It still keeps running after closing photoshop.

So open and direct closing gives the same problem. I have this since i reinstalled my PC and installed CS6 directly without first installing CS5.5.

Before that i had no problem with it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 10:43 AM   in reply to zaanen NL

It works best to do a clean install rather than deleting old version.

If you click File/Exit you are saying neither Bridge nor Photoshop close?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 9:07 PM   in reply to Curt Y

I believe the problem of Bridge not closing properly is related to the caching function within bridge, and two separate problems that I have already reported as bugs.

In short, Bridge CS6 is constantly re-caching whatever folder it is pointed at. Prior versions did not do that. For most file formats, Bridge CS6 is scanning the files, looking to see if they are in the cache, and doing nothing if true. But then it does it again, and again, and again.

In the case of layered tif files, it will actually re-write the thumbnail jpegs in the cache. You can see this in the progress bar, and it can take a lot of time and CPU if the folder has a lot of layered tifs. Curious that it does not re-cache the thumbnails for layerd PSD files, only tif. I'm not sure what it does for mp4, wmv, PDF, etc.

If you close Bridge CS6 while it's caching, the window will disappear, but the task remains, and keeps using CPU.

Combine this with another "bug" where Bridge has a "deadly embrace" with Photoshop. If you save a file in Photoshop, Bridge takes off trying to re-cache the file. If you quickly do another save from Photoshop, you may get the "can not save, file in use by another program" error. The other program is Bridge.

I can generate this error condition easily by running the image processor from Bridge on a batch of tifs, outputing jpegs to the same directory. The image processor gets 2 or 3 files done, then stops with the "file in use" error. If you let the image processor write the jpegs to a separate directory, no problem. In that case, nothing is triggering Bridge to re-cache, so conflict arises.

For the OP and others who have the problem of Bridge not closing, try this: Before attempting to close Bridge, point it at an empty directory (so there is nothing to cache). Then try to close. That works every time for me.

Adobe has sent me an e-mail acknowledging the constant re-caching of layered tif files, and promising attention in the next update, which I'm eagerly awaiting.

Woops - forgot. The constant re-caching of layered tifs can be stopped by disabling tif support in Camera Raw preferences. But there is no way to disable PDF, MP4, WMV, support. I don't keep any of those folders I use for Bridge, but I would not be surprised if some of them cause the constant re-caching.

Even without the re-caching of layered tif thumbnails, Bridge appears to re-scan the active folder whenever anything changes in that folder. Even if the change is made by another program (Photoshop). If you try to close Bridge while it's doing the scan, it may get hung up and not fully terminate.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2012 3:38 AM   in reply to zaanen NL
    11. zaanen NL,

Community Member    

Jul 27, 2012 10:34 AM    in reply to eliz926 

I see the same error on a windows 7 ultimate 64bit but then on the process photoshop.exe,

Only CS6 is installed. Starting the process by clicking on a picture choose open with photoshop.

After closing doesn't matter for how long working in it. It still keeps running after closing photoshop.

So open and direct closing gives the same problem. I have this since i reinstalled my PC and installed CS6 directly without first installing CS5.5.

Before that i had no problem with it.

I have the same problem after installing NIK software CEP 4.0 - Photoshop CS 6 does not shut down. (have installed and uninstalled CS 6 and the plug in  a lot of times)  Have been in contact with NIK, and they have been very kind and tryed to help, but the problem is still there, but not wih my 8 other plug ins.

No problems with my former CS3 intended

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 1:51 AM   in reply to Kibbermand

I have this problem as well. I too also had CS3 before installing CS6. I have Windows 7 Professional 64-bit though.

My bridge (64-bit and 32-bit) closes down properly (the process closes), but for programs like Photoshop and Premiere, the window closes down (like normal), but the process still remains in Task Manager.

This is very annoying as I have to close that process before I can re-open Photoshop.

I have tried the 64-bit version and the 32-bit version of Photoshop as well as doing File -> Exit, but the problem still occurs.

I thought it was the update I did that caused this, or that there is a conflict between the remnants of CS3 and CS6, so I uninstalled CS6 and used Adobe Creative Suite Cleaner Tool to clean CS3 and CS6.

After I re-installed CS6, the problem still occured.

No idea why the process doesn't end.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 2:58 AM   in reply to Jamestec

and you have - or have not ? - this plug in ?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 4:35 AM   in reply to Kibbermand

No I don't have NIK software CEP plugin, but it looks interesting... .

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 5:22 AM   in reply to Jamestec

Interesting:

• Adobe says it is not their problem because it can run without this plug in. 

• NIK software says it can run on other W7 - 64-bit pc.s.

• The pc-seller (it is brand new pc.s I have) that when it is on both my pc.s it is not a problem for them , because the 2 pc.s are not equal.

So there you are - as a sad clown in circus.

But it is interesting, that the problem also is there without this plug in.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2012 2:15 PM   in reply to Kibbermand

I had similar problem and the solution to fix it could be here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMlsmY7VvvY

Tested on Bridge CS6, Windows 7 64bit

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2012 7:39 PM   in reply to Rafal1911

This may be a coincience, or not, but the solution for the "fix" by Rafal1911 is also the same as for mini-birdge.  Delete switchboard and let it rebuild.

And thanks for posting that Rafal1911.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points