• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is There anyway to Monitor No. of Live HTTP HDS/HLS Streams? FMS 4.5.1

Participant ,
May 18, 2012 May 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are making an application that is basically serving students so as expected most of the clients who access are the students who are accessing behind the university firewalls. We have some issues with the RTMPT (Tunnel RTMP over Port 80) at many places. May be there are some issues with the respective firewalls of those places.

Therefore out management has decided to switch to Live HTTP as that is reported to be working fine at all these places which has some issues with RTMPT

However one of the issues that we are facing is that that we unable to monitor number of LIVE streams or Number of Clients (Students) who are connected to our stream?

Is there any workaround to measure how many users are online without the involvement of RTMP/RTMPT protocols?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 18, 2012 May 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ,

Right now there is no way from FMS end to let you know no of live http HDS/ HLS Streams. The Admin API which we provide work only for RTMP flavors.

You can search over net if there is some tool which does intelligent parsing of Apache logs and provides some useful data. Hopefully you find something.

This is something which has been requsted by many users and sooner rather than latter we can provide something to user but cannot promise anything right now.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 19, 2012 May 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I know about various Apache Monitoring Tools, However they will log the apache requests. As HTTP is basically a non-multimedia delievery protocol so I guess it'll be difficult to different between the normal requests and the stream requests. Let me do more R&D. Thanks. Please keep this discussion updated if any solution found.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2012 May 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Right now there is no way from FMS end to let you know no of live http HDS/ HLS Streams. The Admin API which we provide work only for RTMP flavors.

I am very sorry for not being constructive in this discussion - but, imho this really had to be part of the release of 4.5 (especially with HLS added to the mix).

Also, adding this not only to Admin API but to the fms admin console app i see as a must. (and i am not the only one, pretty sure of that)
Just to clarify, yes i do understand that apache is doing everything HLS related but the product is called FMS and it is marketed and sold as such...

This is something which has been requsted by many users and sooner rather than latter we can provide something to user but cannot promise anything right now.

That would be great, finally! (i can only wish that this will be a part of the admin console)

Please do keep us posted.

Again, sorry for not being very constructive here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes i understand that we sell it as whole solution but then you also need to understand that HTTP is different technlogy. If i have to argue on technical ground - there is no concept of connections when it comes to HTTP. But then i also agree we need to provide something which helps users to do some traffic analysis. And don't worry about you not being constructive - any feedback which is given in good intent is always constructive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replying. Yes I know the Protocol structure of both HTTP (Connection less) and RTMP (Connection Oriented), however HTTP Headers can be modified or some work around can be made which can help the HTTP Traffic log analyser to differentiate between non streaming HTTP Requests and the Media HTTP Requests. I'm not a hardcore networking programmer, however a vague monitoring of even HTTP protocol doesn't seems totally infeasible. There are already apache monitoring tools on the web, with some root level protocol code customization by the respective experts I'm hopeful of some positive solution for the same. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@SE_0208

Thank you sir for understanding.

I too have no intention of argueing here, especially not on technical grounds and especially not with you .

Obviously, there are a few functionalities badly needed in FMS, one of which is this one (some others i consider important i have listed here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4315166#4315166), it will only make FMS better product if provided.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines