Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

cut-out in InDesign

May 18, 2012 10:39 AM

How do I make the cut-out for this CD template?

Screen Shot 2012-05-18 at 8.39.13 PM.png

Thanks!

cj

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 18, 2012 11:13 AM   in reply to Konstantinos Terzopoulos

To what detail? You cannot create a pre-cutout page in InDesign, they always have to be rectangular.

I suggest you place this image into InDesign, scale it to the exact target size, and then

ock it. if you want the die lines in your InDesign document, draw over the lines with the Pen tool -- remember to put them on a separate layer so you can show and hide them at will (presumably you want to see them in test prints but not in the final product).

Then put your artwork anywhere you like it -- allowing for bleed, as usual with cut shapes.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 11:14 AM   in reply to [Jongware]

"ock it" = "lock it" (this forum doesn't allow me to edit a psot on an iPad!)

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 11:15 AM   in reply to [Jongware]

"psot" = "post" (*sigh*)

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 1:41 PM   in reply to Konstantinos Terzopoulos

The only thing Jongware left out was that you must use a spot color for die lines (so they make a separate plate) and they should be set to overprint so they don't leave white traces in the art.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 2:34 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Personally I like to play it safe and not include it in a final PDF anyhow! That's where the separate layer comes in.

An alternative could be to set the die lines to non-printing, either layer-wise or at the object level, but toggling layers on and off is a very visual way of checking what you send off.

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2012 4:59 PM   in reply to [Jongware]

Seems to me if you need die lines then you are planning on making a die, and they're going to need to output, but perhaps you're just treating them as guides, in which case set to non-printing is probably fine. Belt and suspenders says make them overprint too, just in case...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points