Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

JPGs Dramatically Slow Performance Down on Mac

May 20, 2012 9:00 AM

I've been working with sequences that have jpgs in the new CS6 that come to a crawl when working on them and rendering them.  I'm using a brand new 17" Powerbook with the 2.5 i7 and 16 gb of memory.  The same sequences in CS 5.5 render lightning fast and when I work on them there are no speed or performance issues.

When I work on the same sequences in CS6, my computer comes to a crawl.  Rendering is incredibly slow.  If I'm rendering, I can literally hardly do anything else--like visit web sites in Safari or send an e-mail.  I can do it but it's incredibly slow.

These are reasonable size jpgs that caused no issues in 5.5.

I tried uninstalling CS6 and reinstalling and that didn't help.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 19, 2012 9:54 AM   in reply to austinlingerfelt

What are the pixel x pixel dimensions of those JPEG's?

Though PrPro, as of CS 5, has better Scaling algorithms, than before, processing a bunch of unused pixels can require major processing power, and require overhead to handle.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2012 11:40 AM   in reply to austinlingerfelt

Have you only tried sequences created in a previous version?  Do you get the same behavior with a new sequence specifically created in CS6?

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2012 11:47 AM   in reply to austinlingerfelt

OK.

And what exactly is the resolution of those JPEGs?

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2012 12:03 PM   in reply to austinlingerfelt

Yeah it should handle those fine.  I tested using 3 JPEGs around 5000 x 3000 and they exported just fine and very fast.

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2012 12:52 PM   in reply to austinlingerfelt

Thank you for that info.

As Jim says, the sizes, themselves, should not cause any sort of slowdown, as you have very few unused pixels to be processed.

Even with Pan & Zoom (using the Fixed Effects>Motion>Scale and Motion>Position), should not cause any major slowdowns.

Though I do similar, with SD material (NTSC 720 x 480), even using Pans & Zooms, I have had Projects with over 3000 stills, most with some form of animation, that edit smoothly.

Other than the SD vs HD nature, I seldom am working with an Image Sequence, just due to the nature of what I am working with. That could be a variable, but I do not recall reading of major slowdowns, with folk doing Time Lapse, or Stop Motion work WITH Image Sequences. That does not mean that they do not exist, but just that I cannot recall reading of the issues.

Wish that I had more to offer, but good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2012 1:21 PM   in reply to austinlingerfelt
    What are your specs?

Win 7 64

i7 2500

8GB RAM

1TB hard drive for everything

Still running the trial

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2012 6:57 PM   in reply to austinlingerfelt

Please don't post the contents of crash logs beyond the first few lines.  The information it contains is useless to almost anyone who reads the topic, and the extra clutter makes the whole thread difficult to read and navigate.  And if the entire log is requested, please send it via PM instead of posting it in a topic.  Thanks.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2012 7:01 PM   in reply to austinlingerfelt

And please don't double-post.  I deleted your other topic.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2012 7:37 PM   in reply to austinlingerfelt

It sounds like you have serious hardware/driver issues.  It's likely that Pr is exposing the problems because other software won't tax your system like Pr does.

I'll give you the choice -- do you want to start a general crashing topic?  If so, I'll delete the crash report posts from here and you can start that topic again (minus the gory crash report details).  If you want to leave the crashing issue in this thread, then keep all of the info and any future responses here.  You can have one or the other, but not both.  If you post the same problem in more than one thread, things get messy very quickly.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2012 10:11 PM   in reply to austinlingerfelt

austinlingerfelt wrote:

I have already tried uninstalling and reinstalling all of the Adobe sw.

I have, through recent trials and tribulations of my own, found it nearly impossible to completely clean a Mac of all of Adobe's software so that I could reinstall.  None of the cleaners available can find everything that Adobe writes into various places in the OS.  I actually formatted my Mac Pro and re-installed from scratch, that's how bad it got.

I've left feedback for the developers at Adobe suggesting they clean that garbage up.  CS6 on a Mac is a mess with all of the ancillary applicatons that are needed for it.

As for your OP: it sounds like there's still some work to do on the OpenCL code in Premiere.

jas

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2012 6:34 PM   in reply to austinlingerfelt

I too just upgraded to CS6, and my still-based "videos" with dissolves, pans and scans seem slower. I have late 2011 Macbook Pro 17", using OpenCL via it's AMD Radeon 6770m. I was hoping it would be faster, and not need preview rendering. Regular DLSR video is indeed faster to preview w/o rendering. It's the 12-36MP stills that slow it down (these are way below the 256MP theoretical max.)  Switching to ProjectSettings/General/Renderer: ... Software Only did "help" though we are back to having to render previews.

Another anomaly: when using OpenCL, and most areas have Yellow bar, hitting Return does not render the Work Area to Green. It just plays it (I guess it is has convinced itself that it should preview fine ;-)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points