Skip navigation
The4HundredMedia
Currently Being Moderated

Help with page set in indesign!!!

May 20, 2012 12:49 PM

Tags: #help #indesign #printing #setup #page

Hi I am trying to set up a 8.5 x 11 brochure with double sided pages. the pages will originally be 17 x 11 so i can fold them into the correct size. how do I go about setting this up? I know i need to print duplex with saddle stitch but when i try to set up the 17 x 11 pages in indesign it makes the whole booklet that length. help....

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 20, 2012 12:57 PM   in reply to The4HundredMedia

You should set this up as either 8.5 x 11 facing pages, or as 2 11 x 17 non-facing pages (ONLY if the brochure has ony 4 pages). If you are going to use more than one sheet of 11 x 17, set it up as letter-size facing page, do your layout in consecutive page order (reader's spreads) and use Print Booklet to impose if printing in-house, or export to PDF as single pages, not spreads, for commercial printing.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 1:19 PM   in reply to The4HundredMedia

I would do it as two pages. Set the guides appropriately so you can see where the pages are.

Allow for the inside panel to be cut to fit.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 1:22 PM   in reply to The4HundredMedia

We need to be very clear about waht you mean by a "page" rather than the number of sheets on which this is going to be printed. If the brochure is one sheet of 11 x 17, printed on both sides and folded so it has 4 panels, then you can set it up as a two-page 11 x 17 document. I do it this way most of the time, and set the pages with two columns to make the margins at the gutter where it folds for convenience in layout. Side one (page 1 in the layout) would have the back cover on the left and the front cover onthe right, and side two (page 2 in your layout) would have the two inside "pages."

In theory you can set up a longer document this way, too, but it's so much work to remember the imposition pattern and such a hassle and prone to error to work this way instead of looking at the design as the readers see the finished product, that I would never do it for more pages. Setting up as 8.5 x 11 facing pages is fast, easy to work with, allows for changing the page count if necessary, and works for automatic page numbering, so it just makes more sense to do that if you will be printing more than one sheet of paper.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 1:28 PM   in reply to The4HundredMedia

The4HundredMedia wrote:

so have a total of 16 pages set up 8.5 x 11 facing pages and print it off as duplex?

If 16 pages = 16 panels after folding, yes, but you need to print though Print Booklet to arrange the pages in the correct order.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 1:38 PM   in reply to The4HundredMedia

This sounds like a 16-page facing pages file.

In the layout, the first page will be by itself (your readers see it all by itself when they get the brochure becasue it is the cover of the folded piece), then pages 2-15 will appear as two-page spreads, and finally page 16 will be by itself again. When printed, this will require four sheets of paper to pass through the printer, each sheet will have two pages on each side.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 1:45 PM   in reply to The4HundredMedia

Yes. But don't forget to go to Printer Setup from the Print Booklet dialog to set your printer to 11 x 17 landscape. It will be very obvious in the Print Booklet preview pane when the printer setup is correct, and when it isn't.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points