Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Bridge sorts files differently on two similar machines, why?

May 20, 2012 4:12 PM

Tags: #bridge #sort #order #date_created

When sorting on Date Created, and two pictures have the same created timestamp, what decides the final order?

In my case, I have pictures from one Canon and one Nikon camera and when I sort on Date Created the result differs on my two machines (both running

Bridge CS5 on Mac OSX 10.7.4). One one machine, the files are sorted in CR2, NEF order, and on the second NEF, CR2 (given that the have the same created date).

Any idea what causes this inconsistent behaviour?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 20, 2012 4:27 PM   in reply to Reimund T

With time stamps believe they are down to hundredth of a second, so one shot will be a winner. 

Make sure the sort order is the same, like accending.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 5:18 PM   in reply to Reimund T

They have to be better than 1 second as some motor drive cameras take multiple shots per second.  Photographers would be screaming if the order was screwed up.

However, it is likely the cameras are not synced that close in time, so there time stamp when shot will be camera time dependant.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 1:10 AM   in reply to Reimund T

I've noticed that some software sorts differently depending on the previous sort criteria. So, if two items are identical, they are left in the order in which they occurred in a previous sort. I don't know if this is the case with Bridge, but you could probably prove this one way or the other by sorting with different criteria (ascending and descending) before chosing Date Created.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,999 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    May 21, 2012 2:39 AM   in reply to Reimund T

Any idea what causes this inconsistent behaviour?

If my understanding is correct you have two machines running same OS and same Bridge version.

Both show Date Created in good order but one has the alphabet in ascending order showing C before N and the other has descending with showing N before C.

Assuming you have a copy of the same folders on both machines and you checked if both use indeed the same ascending order (the little arrow at the right of the filter criteria in the path bar pointing to above).

If all this is correct I would start with resetting the preferences (hold down option key while restarting Bridge and choose reset preferences) for the version that shows descending alphabet while having ascending order selected.

Also check and repair permissions of your OS on a regular base is healthy for your computer

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,999 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    May 21, 2012 3:29 PM   in reply to Reimund T

I'm not sure how you can change a secondary sorting criteria, I don't think it's even possible.

Don't know of a way either, only one sort criteria is available.

In other words, the canon file is treated as created earlier than the nikon, no matter what the filenames are.

As a Canon user I can live perfectly with the fact a Mac puts the files in front of Nikon...

But seriously Reimund,

Still not clear to me what kind of workflow you are describing. Do you have the same files on both computers and you did so by copy the whole folder from one to another or are you reading from one external disk.

Or do you import randomly on both machines and are the imported files on one machine have different behavior in sorting then on the other?

Renaming does only effect the modification date or the sort order for filename. The date created should be an in camera generated date and time and written in the Exif traveling in the file itself.

I tried to find out myself if the Exif had further info then hour,minute and second.

I have an older 1D2 and a 1Ds3. In the file info under 'Raw Data' is a lot of information. For the 1D2 it seems not possible to show the details for 10th and 100th of a second but for the 1Ds3 it seems it shows the correct info.

Try it yourself, I found these lines:

<rdf:Description rdf:about=""

xmlns:xmp="http://ns.adobe.com/xap/1.0/">

<xmp:ModifyDate>2012-05-20T17:15:47+02:00</xmp:ModifyDate>

<xmp:CreateDate>2012-05-20T15:35:20.68+02:00</xmp:CreateDate>

<xmp:MetadataDate>2012-05-20T17:15:47+02:00</xmp:MetadataDate>

<xmp:CreatorTool>Adobe Photoshop Camera Raw 7.0 (Macintosh)</xmp:CreatorTool>

Mind the create date showing 15:35:20.68

So maybe this will get you a bit further if your camera is new enough to show the details?

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 11:38 PM   in reply to Yammer

Yammer P wrote:

I've noticed that some software sorts differently depending on the previous sort criteria. So, if two items are identical, they are left in the order in which they occurred in a previous sort. I don't know if this is the case with Bridge, but you could probably prove this one way or the other by sorting with different criteria (ascending and descending) before chosing Date Created.

Reimund, did you try this at all?

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,999 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    May 22, 2012 1:42 AM   in reply to Reimund T

Now, in hindsight I realize renaming the files before copying to the other computer would have made our lives much easier. Still, I'd like to be able to get the same sorting/filenames afterwards as well.

Thanks for clarification and yes it is a common problem with different camera's on same event.

It still puzzles me a bit why both machines rename differently but hat might be more a case for the Bridge technicians.

There are other options with use of scripts, but that also takes time. You could ask this in the dedicated Adobe Scripting forum if you do need to still solve it, there are some very helpful people out their.

And not helping you now but the new features keep coming and the latest Canon GPS can sync the newest canon camera's to the millisecond.

But then you have to have both Canon (or Nikon) and the latest that are capable of handling this option.

Most problems eventually get solved, it only takes time (and also money I'm afraid...)

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,999 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    May 23, 2012 12:46 AM   in reply to Reimund T

Thanks for sharing, looks very impressive. Did you also posted on the scripting forum? More people will look for scripting solutions on that location

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points