Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Windows and Mac Compatablility/license??

May 18, 2012 7:48 PM

Why can lightroom be installed from the same disk to both mac and windows, but photoshop has to use a different disc/install for either mac or windows?

Im curious only because i run both lightroom and photoshop on my macbook pro, but i am about done with a pc/windows desktop build and would like to use them on it too. However, it seems i would only be able to use lightroom and would have to purchase a windows version of photoshop. I currently have lightroom 3 and photoshop cs5, and i want to upgrade. I know you can have them installed on a laptop and a desktop with one license (from what i understand), but would i really have to buy a windows version as well as a mac version of photoshop? has it changed with cs6?

may seem dumb, but im curious.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 18, 2012 8:08 PM   in reply to maxfischersweet

Cross-platform licensing for Photoshop has been requested for years, but Adobe seems firmly determined to make us pay for two licenses. The same goes for Illustrator and InDesign.

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2012 12:58 AM   in reply to station_two

Isn’t the subscription model platform independent?

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2012 1:11 AM   in reply to c.pfaffenbichler

Yes. It's one of the primary points of difference of the Cloud.

The Creative Cloud (which does not yet include Lightroom but will sometime in 2012) allows Mac/Mac, Win/Win or Mac/Win activations.

Perpetual licenses - for everything other than Lightroom - only allow Win/Win or Mac/Mac activations.

So if you have Lightroom, you can install Lightroom on both Windows and Mac.

But if you have a Mac version of Photoshop, you can only install it on a Mac. You need to purchase a separate Windows copy to install it on a PC (even though you have an unused Mac activation).

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2012 1:13 AM   in reply to John Waller

Thanks for confirming.

Another point I have heard has been adressed with cloud-licenses is the ability to change the application language.

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2012 1:21 AM   in reply to c.pfaffenbichler

c.pfaffenbichler wrote:

Another point I have heard has been adressed with cloud-licenses is the ability to change the application language.

Yes, that's right.

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/faq.html

"In what languages is Creative Cloud available?
    The Creative Cloud experience includes the Creative Cloud website, Creative Suite and other desktop applications, and several online services. When using the individual CS6 applications, members can select from any language in which each is available. Unlike owning the traditional licensed version of a CS product, Creative Cloud membership gives you the flexibility to choose whichever language works best for you in any given application."

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 19, 2012 10:18 AM   in reply to maxfischersweet

Seems to me one of the two ways could net Adobe more license sales.  The real question is why DON'T they use separate Mac/PC licensing for everything?  Perhaps Lightroom is an experiment in marketing to see if there are unseen advantages to offering platform-independent licenses.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2012 1:32 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

They do it because they can.  It's that simple.

BTW, Photoshop Elements also comes with licenses and version for both platforms.  At one point, so did Acrobat.

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2012 2:23 PM   in reply to maxfischersweet

maxfischersweet wrote:

I was more curious as to why they do this though. As in, is it more of a control issue for adobe? As to why its done with lightroom, but not the other programs.

My hunch is to encourage sales of a (still) new product (Lightroom).

Photoshop and the other Creative Suite products sell themselves because they're so well known and already enjoy huge market awareness and penetration.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 8:37 AM   in reply to maxfischersweet

And currently it seems to be used as a means to steer consumers to Cloud licensing.

Which Adobe might prefer because with the old licensing model any user could just stick with whatever version they were comfortable with instead of providing a continuing revenue stream …

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 20, 2012 9:53 AM   in reply to c.pfaffenbichler

That only makes sense; if you've got it, market it.

And for the additional hassle of having to rent the very latest version every month, we get the privilege of paying MORE for it (assuming you keep it up over a year or more)...  That's the part I never understood.  Imagine its popularity if it would actually cost less long-term to use cloud licensing. 

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 1:42 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

Imagine its popularity if it would actually cost less long-term to use cloud licensing.

Well Adobe obviously plans to progressively increase the products and services available via the Cloud over time.

It's compelling enough for many now. Over time, more and more users will be enticed to join as Adobe tweaks it.

People will be obviously be attracted by different aspects of it. Some by the Master Collection, some by the collaboration tools, some by Lightroom etc.

Let's see what the Cloud looks like ($ vs products/services offered) in a couple of years. It may even be irresistible to the Noels of the world

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 1:56 PM   in reply to John Waller

I don't know…  The thought of paying a monthly tribute to the Adobe corporate monster forever depresses me no end.

I keep upgrading Photoshop only because of Adobe Camera Raw, but my versions of Illustrator and InDesign are pretty old and they serve me perfectly.  I shudder to think how much I would have paid in Creative Cloud tribute payments since Illustrator 10.0.3 (11 years) and InDesign 2.0.2 (10 years). 

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 2:31 PM   in reply to station_two

@station_two: so you're obviously in the Noel camp at this stage.

Watch this space, I guess.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 20, 2012 3:14 PM   in reply to John Waller

Funny thing is that I get every new version they release, but I've still paid less than I would have if I were paying for a monthly subscription I think.

One thing is that I just don't like the idea that 5 minutes after I stop paying for the software, it will stop working.

When you think of the interest on the amount of money you could borrow at today's rates it makes you think twice about signing up for anything that sucks tens or hundreds of dollars out of each month's pay.  I know that sounded confusing.  Let me put it into an example:  If person A pays, say, $200 a month for their various technogadgets and subscriptions, and person B doesn't, he could borrow $80,000 at 3% interest instead.  Imagine what you could turn $80,000 into.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 3:35 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

Funny thing is that I get every new version they release, but I've still paid less than I would have if I were paying for a monthly subscription I think.

I guess the added extra with the Cloud is that it's much more than just software, more of an ecosystem: collaboration tools, storage, syncing across devices, web hosting, new software features, presumably every month rather than waiting 18 months for the next upgrade cycle etc.

Might not appeal now in its infancy but it might make more sense later when it matures.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 3:50 PM   in reply to John Waller

John Waller wrote:

…new software features, presumably every month rather than waiting 18 months for the next upgrade cycle…

Oh, yeah?  Where's the incentive for Adobe to spend any money on further development under that scenario?  Why not let 95% of the engineering workforce go?  Think of all the savings!

And how will they ever know which of the applications are turning a profit?  Why not drop a few?  Just stop development altogether on a few of them?

It's a cloud alright, I just don't see the creativity in it.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 3:51 PM   in reply to John Waller

John Waller wrote:

…Might not appeal now in its infancy but it might make more sense later when it matures.

I wouldn't bet on it.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 20, 2012 5:34 PM   in reply to John Waller

John Waller wrote:

new software features, presumably every month rather than waiting 18 months for the next upgrade cycle etc.

I'm of the opinion that there's such a thing as too much change, too often.

But I don't think we have to worry about that sort of thing...  The software is one and the same as what the "perpetual license" people get - it's just reactivating every month.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 5:51 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:
    The software is one and the same as what the "perpetual license" people get - it's just reactivating every month.

At upgrade cycle time, yes it's the same.

But between cycles, Adobe has stated that they will progressively add new features to the Cloud versions of the software which perpetual license people will have to wait 18-24 months for.

I can foresee confusion coming to the forums (which version are you running? that feature is not in my CS6) and a multiple-feature "version" economy (the haves (early adopter Cloud members), the soon-to-haves (Cloud members who haven't yet downloaded the latest version) and the have nots ("perpetuals"))

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 20, 2012 5:52 PM   in reply to John Waller

Marketing says a lot of things when they have their heads up in the clouds.  Or up somewhere.  I'll believe it when I see it.

It would add support cost as well.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 5:54 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Agreed.

Only with Adobe actually delivering on these promises will the skepticism be removed.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 20, 2012 6:08 PM   in reply to John Waller

Here I sit, wondering if I should post this...  Aw what the heck, it's the weekend.  Here's some good reference material:  Click here

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 7:47 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel, I had a good cackle on your "reference material"

Its just sad how business is run these days. . .

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points