Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Just installed CS6 but can't associate file type JPG with Photoshop.

May 20, 2012 1:32 PM

I've just now installed Photoshop CS6 and Lightroom 4. File types PSD and TIFF work fine, but I'm completely unable to associate JPG, JPEG or any other variant with the Photoshop program such that I can double-click on the photo file and open Photoshop and the photo. I can associate JPG with either Bridge or Lightroom, or several other programs, but when I browse to Photoshop and select Photoshop.exe nothing happens, not even an error message. Does anyone have a clue what's going on here?

Operating system is Windows 7 Ultimate Edition, 32-bit. There is 4GB of memory in the machine, which is a Dell Vostro 1720 laptop.

Thanks,

Bill Sexauer

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 20, 2012 8:16 PM   in reply to sexauerwl

Same answer as your otehr thread - fix your system file associations. Delete them, rebuzild them using Open with...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 2:31 PM   in reply to sexauerwl

Moving this discussion to the Photoshop General Discussion forum.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 2:37 PM   in reply to sexauerwl

sexauerwl wrote:

The problem was probably caused by my having installed CS6 prior to uninstalling CS4. Should I just reinstall CS6 right over the top of the existing CS6?

When you uninstall a previous version some users do have file assoication problems There currently is no easy fix, although Adobe is aware of the problem.

One was is to uninstall CS6 and run the Adobe Script Cleaner. Then reinstall CS6.  Not sure it you can have other Adobe products when using the cleaner or not.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2012 12:09 PM   in reply to Curt Y

I had the same problem. Initially could only associate jpeg files with PS CS5, after removing PS CS5 I still couldn't associate them with 6. Fixed after running the CCleaner registry cleaner.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2012 1:47 AM   in reply to Curt Y

I tried this "solution", uninstalled CS6, ran the Adobe CS cleaner tool 3 times, rebooted twice in the process. This did NOT fix the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2012 6:39 AM   in reply to Applebeignet

Applebeignet,

If using Win7 go to OS registry and try this.

In Registry, HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Photoshop.exe\shell\open\command, and changed the (Default) from "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5 (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe" "%1" to "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe" "%1" (so changed CS5 to CS6) - and now I see 'Adobe Photoshop CS6' in my 'Open with' list when right-clicking an image...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2012 6:45 AM   in reply to Curt Y

Thank you for the suggestion Curt, I had already noticed your idea, tried it, and failed (because the CS5 reg key was missing, nothing to edit).

Running CCleaner worked though.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2012 6:47 AM   in reply to Applebeignet

You said in post #7 CC Clearner did NOT work.  Now it does?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2012 6:50 AM   in reply to Curt Y

I'm afraid you misread post #7.

The Adobe CS cleaner tool/script did not work.

The 3rd party application CCleaner did.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points