Skip navigation
pentaxBrad
Currently Being Moderated

can I create acustom template that autopopulates from project bin, PES 10?

May 12, 2012 4:12 PM

Tags: #help #organizer #elements #photoshop_elements_10

Hey everyone. I have 194 photos that I want to create a very basic photobook from. I would like for them to appear on a 6 photo per page setup, and autopopulate from project bin selected photos. The standard prebaked photobook templates are too varied ( one photo per page, then three tilted, etc), for what I am trying to create (almost yearbook style). I do not want to move each photo manually, as I am planning this treatment for several years worth of photos, one book for each year, so the format will stay the same, but the photos will change for each printing, and each year will have several hundred photos. Is there a way to create my own template that will autopopulate like the ones that are pre made in the photobooks section of create (shutterfly). Anyone who can point me to the resource will be thanked! I have googled and youtubed myself blind without finding what I need to get started. Thanks !

Brad

ps, using PES 10.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 13, 2012 7:59 AM   in reply to pentaxBrad

The only way I know of to do what you want is to use the Organizer plus a dedicated PDF software which acts like a printer drivier. I just made a test with Foxit Phantom PDF printer (standard edition).

Suppose you have selected and ordered your pictures in an album.

Select all the pictures in the album.

Use the organizer print menu :

-- Select your PDF printer name

-- Select the printer options, in particular the layout : choose 'tabloid' which seems to be the only standard format enabling 2 colums of 3 pictures.

--Most important : Print type : contact sheet

--  Uncheck 'Automatic resizing'

-- Check in the 'Print options' that none is used : otherwise you could get only 4 pictures in a sheet.

If the preview shows 6 pictures, you are ready.

The result will be a multiple sheet PDF you can see in the free Adobe PDF Reader and open in the PSE10 editor.

What I do like in the Foxit software is that you can trim and resize around your 6 pictures in a single action (for all the pages).

Then you can export all pages as jpegs in a single command.

I suppose there are other PDF softwares able to do the same.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2012 11:08 AM   in reply to pentaxBrad

pentaxBrad a écrit:

Interesting! Thank you for your reply. I assume then that after I get the PDF to jpeg conversion, this will upload to a book printer like shutterfly or adorama for hard copy?

Brad

I don't know about those book printers, but there should be no problem.

Most Web printing services I know require to upload each page as a jpeg, and let you organize the pages and layout of your book.

Beside local printing services here in Europe, I order books from Viovio : they  require either the usual jpeg pages or they can take the unique PDF, which saves you the trouble of the stage of exporting and uploading multiple jpegs. Local printing and copy services will also usually accept the unique PDF.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 5:24 AM   in reply to pentaxBrad

I am glad that my solution - creating contact sheets in PSE and "printing" to a software acting as a printer driver - is a good answer to your problem.

To answer your question about the printing res to 600 ppi, I don't see the point : 300ppi is considered sharp for the normal 'viewer' and usual printing systems. You would not see the difference in the final print. No worry about the resolution of your original pictures, since they have to be significantly downsized for the contact sheets.

About Foxit, you are right that it is not free : such dedicated PDF tools justify their cost when you are doing more than photo editing in PSE. For instance I also use Open Office as a word processor, Scribus as a layout and publishing software :both can produce PDFs, but I am glad I have also Foxit to organize, optimize and sometimes edit the pdfs produced by those softwares. Whether you want to output for the Web or for printing, the PDF format is now everywhere.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 9:40 AM   in reply to MichelBParis

Michel,

Welcome back, and thanks for the pointer to Sribus -- I'll check it out.

Ken

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points