Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Forum design is jumpy!

May 20, 2012 9:26 PM

The announcement box at the top of the forum changes size just as I'm about to click on a link to a discussion thread, and the link jumps out from under my cursor. Hello! This is supremely lame. What was wrong with the old design anyway? As a web designer, I curse this lame new design. One would hope that Adobe, with all its resources and skills, could do better. Who wants to spend their time chasing links that run away from the cursor?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 20, 2012 10:02 PM   in reply to Gary Politzer

Best to post comments about the forum design in the dedicated forum set up to discuss the forum design and behaviour (or lack thereof)

http://forums.adobe.com/community/general/forum_comments

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 10:57 PM   in reply to Gary Politzer

Gary,

"Jumpy" is one of the kindest epithets I've seen applied to this new "design" since its debut.  

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,844 posts
    May 24, 2010
    May 21, 2012 3:33 AM   in reply to station_two

Could a jumpy cursor be caused by the forum coding?  Sounds more computer specific to me.   Thanks for the forum forum (LOL) link John.  I wonder if there are answers over there, like why if you can still award points, where the heck are they?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 21, 2012 5:59 AM   in reply to Gary Politzer

Not saying the problem is on your end - lord knows there are plenty of problems with this forum design - but clear your cache.  It's known to mix and match things from new and old versions if you don't.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 6:49 AM   in reply to Gary Politzer

I'm not observing the same jumpiness but there is some wonky javascript that evaluates mouse clicks.  Whenever I CTRL-click a link to open a new tab, the entire page flashes/jumps in Firefox.

The HTML for this forum is trying to satisfy IE6 users. The forum designers really need to move on and get rid of their mess of backward-compatibility hacks.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 7:09 AM   in reply to Marian Driscoll

Marian Driscoll wrote:

The HTML for this forum is trying to satisfy IE6 users. The forum designers really need to move on and get rid of their mess of backward-compatibility hacks.

Especially since they no longer support XP in their applications. Why not add the forum to that list and move on.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 7:31 AM   in reply to Danny Michael

dmcrescent wrote:

...Especially since they no longer support XP in their applications...

XP is still supported for most Adobe apps. XP users would be running IE8 if they employ Windows Update properly. There should be no problem with the XP audience.

The IE hacks for this forum are for the Windows 98 crowd. And that's just silly.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 21, 2012 11:12 AM   in reply to Marian Driscoll

I think you two are in agreement.  Dmcrescent's point is that if Adobe is already moving on from supporting XP (as implied by GPU functions not being available to XP users in Ps CS6, for example), they can most certainly move on from supporting IE6.

Just a data point:  0.7% of visitors to my own website in April 2012 were running IE6.  That's about 1 in 140 users.

One has to wonder:  If web designers actively were to move away from ancient browser support, how many more users move away from ancient browsers?  There obviously has to be a balance.

But one additional consideration:  Adobe is a commercial company and this and other adobe.com sites are maintained for commercial benefit.  Given that, I'm definitely with Marian - It really doesn't seem like people who need ancient browser support are spending much money on software.  Maybe Adobe should be catering more to making things work best for paying customers?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 12:06 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

We don't really need to wonder about moving from ancient browsers. It has already been done. Few of the top web sites still support IE6 and have not for the past 2 years.

Just google for your favorite site plus "stops ie6 support" to see when they announced that they were stopping support. Most of these sites gave up 2 years ago.

Even if you are an XP user that does not have access to IE9 or 10, you can still run the most modern versions of Firefox or Chrome. There's no excuse for users to feel behind.

...I would blame Jive for cluttering this forum with legacy IE code but the main Adobe site has it too. Adobe really needs to get with the program.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points