• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is Adobe preparing an AIR implementation for Windows Phone 7?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2011 Nov 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Somebody knows if Adobe is preparing an AIR implementation for the WP7 platform?

BR,

Jesus Bosch

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 23, 2011 Dec 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is this still not answered.   Yes, No, Maybe So. it's adobe's fault it's Microsoft's fault.  come on Adobe give us a X-Mas Present.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 23, 2011 Dec 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everyone's on Christmas vacation, so I doubt you'll hear anything from

Adobe until after Jan 1.

The only thing I've heard is they're "looking into it".

iBrent

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 24, 2011 Dec 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to see it, though MS DOES offer great development tools as it is. It would just be nice to be using a similar codebase across the major platforms.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 26, 2012 Jan 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree the development tools for WP7 ROCK!!!, but I cannot tell you how completely INCREDIBLE it would be to build something once..... in AIR and then publish it onto ----- iOS, ANDROID, and WP7....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2012 Jan 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then check out phonegap and publish to iPhone, Android, OS 4.6-4.7, OS 5.x, OS 6.0+, WebOS, WP7, Symbian and Bada.

PhoneGap is an open source solution for building cross-platform mobile apps with standards-based Web technologies like HTML, JavaScript, CSS. Adobe PhoneGap was named a 2012 Technology of the Year Award recipient by IDG's InfoWorld Test Center!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 30, 2012 Jan 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I doubt that right now with Phonegap you can do the same things you do with Flash.

Or am I wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 31, 2012 Jan 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PhoneGap still lacks much of what flash has, and I don't think PhoneGap is a viable solution for serious app development. For one it is html5-based, and making a browser implementation with html5 is going to have all kinds of bugs and inconsistencies accross browsers, especially if your app is an advanced app with lots of code.

I have dabbled in html5 and I can tell you that in html5 you code something once and it breaks and glitches and behaves differently in different browsers randomly. Html5 still isnt consistently implemented. Even the w3c says that you shouldn't be deploying html5 yet. Not to mention that not everybody updates their browsers. Html5 is a cross-platform technology in theory only. In practice implementations are coded by a myriad of companies and/or open source volunteers and there is no way to ensure compatibility, causeing all kinds of breakage. Html5 is also and allot easier to rip and copy.

The phonegap builder might possibly make things consistent on phones, but with flash you can have a consistent experience served in the browser to Desktop computers, plus an iOS/Android app and can be made into a standalone Windows and Mac program.

What does PhoneGap bring to the table that AIR doesn't have?

WP7, Blackberry, webOS, Symbian, and bada.

In addition to Android and iOS, AIR supports Desktop Windows and Mac OS, which is far more important than those minor smartphone players with trace amounts of marketshare. With the exception of Symbian, which has a big legacy installed base, but i don't believe it is a true smartphone and Nokia is killing it anyways.

Blackberry is on rapid decline and is rushing to support Android apps anyways, so not much point to that.

webOS is all but dead after its last debacle.

Symbian is antiquated and being dropped by Nokia for WP7, and if I understand correctly, is a non-touch operating system made for the pre-smartphone era, meaning it would require an entire UI rewrite, making it more of a waste of time for most people.

Bada has a small following in some specific countries, but is still not relevant in the big picture.

WP7 isn't a priority for me at the moment, but if it becomes relevant in marketshare it will be. (which it might some day due to MS sacrificing billions of dollars into pushing it)

Maybe Adobe can gut PhoneGap for the WP7 solutions it has and incorporate them into AIR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 05, 2012 Apr 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just one little detail, AIR already does support Blackberry's Playbook, though you need to download a separate SDK:

https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/air/

So you don't need to use the new Android support in Tablet OS 2.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 07, 2012 Apr 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AIR supports PlayBook ...  but PlayBook cannot use AIR 3.2 yet...   if Android supports 3.2 might be better to build for Android and port your APK over to PlayBook...    I don't see any value in spending the time and energy for the PlayBook platform though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2012 Apr 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone heard anything new on this subject? If Microsoft is not going to support Adobe Air natively, then I'd like to see Adobe create a converter like it did with Apple iOS. But maybe Adobe doesn't create a converter for Windows Phone because Windows Phone doesn't yet have a big enough marketshare.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 21, 2012 May 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is going to start quickly becoming a big issue. Any news?

air native extensions // https://airnativeextensions.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I've read and heard from Adobe evangelists, Adobe is looking to support Windows Phone 8 and the new Metro stuff. I don't think they'll be supporting WP7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@iBr3nt Are you sure you heard Windows Phone 8 and not Window 8? Either way, it would be great of Adobe supports WP8 AND Win8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2012 Jun 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@iBr3nt If you have any urls to point regarding WP8 and Air, please share.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 28, 2012 Jun 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the official source on the future of all things Flash and AIR:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplatform/whitepapers/roadmap.html

Scroll down to the section on Windows 8. It gets updated regularly, so check back often.

iBrent

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2013 Jul 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

windows 8 and windows phone is different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 01, 2012 Jun 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Air: Microsoft has announced that Windows 8 will be optimized for for Adobe's flash player, but never commented on Adobe Air runtime.  But I think Adobe has alot of work to do to make it even easier to launch your Air apps across all these platforms as it already does for Android and iOS. Adobe Air will be king and the master tool every developer will use for the one click launch Adobe programs are known for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 18, 2012 Jun 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like its confirmed There will be the Flash Player running on the new Windows 8. Though not sure about AIR on Windows Phone 8. I think a lot of people are on the look out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines