Skip navigation
bootsuk 61 posts
Oct 29, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Button Highlight shifting away from graphic it's supposeed to highlight.

May 21, 2012 5:53 AM

Encore CS5.1

I'm trying to edit a menu button from the library (passport menu) but each button I edit in Photoshop the highlight (on rollover) is out of line with it's graphic.

I have moved the graphic down to insert a line of text but the highlight does not move position along with the graphic so the highlight is now above the graphic its supposed to highlight.

The one button that I did not modify is fine.

How do I keep the button highlight graphic and the highlight together if moved?

Thanks

Brian

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 21, 2012 9:03 AM   in reply to bootsuk

If I understand, in photoshop, just select the highlight layer (=1 etc) and move it.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 9:09 AM   in reply to bootsuk

The easiest way to Move the entire Button "structure" is to collapse the Buttons' Layer Set, and with the Move Tool, Move the enitre Button Layer Set. With the Move Tool active, you can use the Cursor "arrow" keys, to nudge it, or add the Shift Modifier Key, to Move in 10 pixel increments.

If you have multiple Buttons to Move, you can collapse (this makes Selection much easier) all Button Layer Sets, Select all of them, and then use the Move Tool.

With that method, ALL elements in the Button Layer Set will Move together.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 9:53 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bill, I think he was adding a line within each button group, so the group wasn't moving as much as changing in size - and this changed the needed location of the highlight.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 9:57 AM   in reply to bootsuk

I did manage to move the highlight layer in Encore but difficult to select.

The highlight layer should not be difficult to select, as long as the button group is twirled open. Sometimes (most times for templates), highlights are actually vector graphics, and can be difficult.

I tried to modify the menu in Photoshop but that changed the highlight colour for some reason.     I tried to  change the colour by adding fx but that did nothing and now I cannot remove the fx   symbol from the highlight layer even though no effect setting is checked.

You can't apply effects to highlights, and the colors are actually determined by Encore. See help re color sets.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 11:34 AM   in reply to bootsuk

Are you selecting the layer in the layer pallete?

Slow alideshows was generally related to using very large images. If you don't need to hve them that large, resize to final size (or at least smaller if you are applying effects).

We've been told here on the forum that the slideshow number has increased.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 4:25 PM   in reply to Stan Jones

Ah, I had not read it that way, but thought that the Button was being Moved to accommodate a line of "background" text. I see your point though, and maybe just missed what was being done, and what was happening.

Thank you,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 4:28 PM   in reply to bootsuk

As for Fx (Styles), you cannot add those to the Sub-picture Highlights, as they are but 2-bit graphics, though can have Transparency.

Now, other Button elements CAN have Fx (Styles) added to them, as they are 8-bit.

I find that editing Menus are so very much easier in PS, but then I've been working in that program for two decades.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 4:31 PM   in reply to bootsuk

The TIFF format will not be the problem, but the pixel x pixel dimensions can be. I always recommend doing the Scaling in Photoshop, before Importing the Still Images for a SlideShow. This ARTICLE goes into more detail, and also gives tips on doing a "batch" Scale for entire folders.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points