Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can't open CS5.5 in CS6

May 21, 2012 8:09 AM

Tags: #error #cs5.5 #indesign #idml #cs6

I got a couple of CS5.5-INDD from a partner. Some of them I can open, some I can't. InDesign CS6 freezes and must be closed. I can reproduce this problem on a Windows 7 64-Bit and a Mac OS X Lion Computers with both InDesign CS6 Creative Cloud.

I asked another colleaugue to open the files in CS5.5 to save them as IDML. She can open the files without problems and create IDMLs. When she sent me those IDML though, I get the same problem as when opening the INDD: InDesign freezes.

I tried several things to get the files (CS5.5 IDML or INDD) opened:

* Reset the preset file

* Deactivate plugins

* Restart the machines

Both installations of CS6 are new and up to date. Is there anyone else having a similar problem with CS5.5 to CS6 incompatibility or any ideas on the topic?

Thanks in advance,

Richard

Branched to a new discussion.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 21, 2012 8:16 AM   in reply to Richard Brammer

Rather than blindly speculate, can you try to open the file on the Lion machine and follow the steps for gathering reports you'll find here: Adobe Forums: InDesign CS5.5 Not Responding

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 8:54 AM   in reply to Richard Brammer

John is our resident expert on hang and crash logs, but my impression is this has something to do with footnotes.

As far as I know (I'm really a Windows guy), the method described is what you need to use...

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 10:30 AM   in reply to Richard Brammer

Could it be font related? InDesign plays nice with nice fonts but it cannot mentally handle bad ones. The symptom you are describing -- a document opens fine on another system but it, and derivatives of the same file, stubbornly refuse to load on *your* system -- could be due to one or more fonts that turned 'bad' on your system only.

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    May 21, 2012 6:17 PM   in reply to Richard Brammer

Here is a Sampling

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2886775/Analyse%20von%20%E2%80%9EInDesign%E2%8 0%9C.txt

But we can't get a crash report. Is there any other way then the described one? I can post lines from amt3.log if it helps.

That's odd. What happens when you Send Signal: Abort? Nothing? Does the app close with no crash report? Is this 10.7.3?

amt3.log isn't going to help, it's about licensing.

Did you try using a different user account? Easy to do and solves some problems, sometimes.

With repsect to the sample report, yes, Peter is correct, it appears that ID is invoking the paragraph composer. But that's not really a complete sample report, it's only 24 samples. Did you run Sample from Activity Monitor, or did you just let OSX generate it on its own from the Force Quit dialog?

Still, if there are footnote irregularities, that might be a place to start looking.

Do you have references to another InDesign document in your documents, such as documents placed inside other documents, or cross-references?

You could try installing the CS5.5 free trial and see if that replicates the problem...

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    May 22, 2012 6:28 AM   in reply to Richard Brammer

Richard: If you find the time to isolate the problem more narrowly, I think we would all like to hear more details. Especially which fonts (and what versions of them) were involved! Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 8:17 AM   in reply to John Hawkinson

+1 to that. If you don't weed out that bad font, you might run into the same problem tomorrow -- or next month! Or never again. Or tomorrow.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2013 2:30 PM   in reply to Richard Brammer

I figured out the issue here.. I was running into the same issue as well.  I have a new machine that doesn't have all my fonts installed or activated through font explorer. The problem was opening indesign files with fonts that aren't on this new machine.. Instead of giving a no font exists message and replacing the font, it just freezes before it can even open..   I install the two fonts that were in the indesign file, and tada... opens without a problem.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points