Skip navigation
peggybr14
Currently Being Moderated

plug ins?

May 20, 2012 9:09 AM

How do I get my plug ins (Nik, Vertus, Topaz) from PS5 to PS6?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 20, 2012 11:38 AM   in reply to peggybr14

Go to applications, go to the plugin folder in PS5, and just drag the whole folder to the plugin section in PS6. Do that for Nik, repeat for Topaz and any other plug in folders that you want to use in PS6. Make sure PS 6 is closed when you do this. Open PS6, and the plugin folder should be right there in Filters, just like in PS5.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 11:45 AM   in reply to peggybr14

I would be wary with teh advise given by the previous poster. You may experience crashes due to compatibility issues. Check the vendors of those plug-ins for updated CS6 versions. If they are providing those, then it's for good reason and you should only use these updated versions.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 6:29 PM   in reply to Mylenium

I did it this way this afternoon (moved plug ins from cs5 to cs 6) with the Topaz Bundle, and with Nik HDR, and Silver Efex pro-it was compatible-all now work fine in cs6.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 2:11 PM   in reply to peggybr14

Moving this discussion to the Photoshop General Discussion forum.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 1:14 PM   in reply to mjg67

FAQ: How do I install my favorite plugins to Photoshop CS6?

If you do copy plugins, you should only copy third party plugins, not the included Adobe plugins. It is recommended that you re-install 3rd party plugins to ensure that all the libraries end up in the right place. Some plugins have been redesigned for CS6 and some that previously were only for 32 bit have been redesigned for 64 bit. Check with the plugin provider.

Don't copy all the plugins from a previous version or point to an old version's plugin folder because you will create duplicate plugins. Adobe included plugins are in a different folder now so you are pointing to them twice, which causes issues. Duplicated plugins from a previous version can cause the file type menu getting out of sync in the save dialog.

Pattie

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,482 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 22, 2012 1:24 PM   in reply to mjg67

mjg67 wrote:

Go to applications, go to the plugin folder in PS5, and just drag the whole folder to the plugin section in PS6. Do that for Nik, repeat for Topaz and any other plug in folders that you want to use in PS6. Make sure PS 6 is closed when you do this. Open PS6, and the plugin folder should be right there in Filters, just like in PS5.

Just to repeat what others are saying in no uncertain terms:

Do NOT drag the entire plug-ins folder!

Mjg67 was clearly implying you should drag only subfolders underneath plug-ins, and even doing this is not always enough.  You should really get new plug-ins with installers specifically made to work with Photoshop CS6.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points