Skip navigation
Jay Vega
Currently Being Moderated

PREMIERE CS6 multicam view has a glitch!!!

May 10, 2012 3:43 PM

Tags: #edit #cuts #multicamera #premiere_pro_cs6

It seems PREMIERE CS6 multicam view has a glitch!!! It wont let you manully (not while in playing mode) scroll through frame by frame and switch from camera to camera and update your nested timeline with edit cuts!! It will only make edit cuts while the play button is engaged! Which means you have to be perfect with your cuts while the footage plays back! Can someone fix this please?!!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 10, 2012 4:22 PM   in reply to Jay Vega

Actually, you can either switch to a new angle or you can cut to a new angle.

Checkout the Keyboard Shortcuts dialog (type "Camera") to set shortcuts for switching, and cutting camera angles.

See this video: http://www.video2brain.com/en/lessons/multicamera-improvements

See this Help document: http://helpx.adobe.com/content/help/en/premiere-pro/using/editing-mult i-camera-sequences1.html

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 5:57 PM   in reply to Jay Vega

I don't think that's a glitch, I think it's always been that way in the multicam window.  A typical work flow is to go through once making your rough cut.  Then you back out of the multicam window and go into the sequence, going through again to tweak it.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 6:19 PM   in reply to Jay Vega

I see that you're right.

Well, you may now have to use my suggested workflow, going through once for the rough cut, and a second time for fine tuning.

I'll say one thing I do like, though.  If you uncheck Show Preview Monitor, it stays off!  I HATED having to turn that infernal thing off every single time I opened the multicam window.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 6:49 PM   in reply to Jay Vega

Hold Ctrl when you click to simultaneously cut and change the angle. Simply clicking will just change the angle, and not drop an edit point.

Yes, this is a deparature. No, I don't think it's perfect. Multicam--despite the addition of extra angles in CS6--still leaves quite a bit to be desired. For example, I want a keyboard shortcut that will (just like the Ctrl+click option described above) cut and change the angle in the Timeline panel. For long and boring edits, this would let you edit MUCH more quickly. For any and all feature requests, do this here: Adobe Feature Request/Bug Report Form

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 7:13 PM   in reply to Colin Brougham

Thanks for the tip Colin.  Makes it very similar to CS5.X

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 8:03 PM   in reply to Jay Vega

Glad that helped, Jay

To clarify my fervent request: I'm actually looking for a shortcut that works in the Timeline panel. What I want to do is multicam edit WITHOUT the Multicamera Monitor. You can switch angles in the Timeline Panel without the MC Monitor--just press the key corresponding to the angle you want, while the clip segment is selected in the TL. However, there isn't a keyboard shortcut available that cuts and changes the angle in the TL--that's what I'm after.

The reason I want this is because I find it's easier to control long edits by dragging in the TL, than it is in the Multicamera Monitor. It would be most helpful where the edits are few and far between--think lectures or other stimulating visual content

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 8:30 PM   in reply to Jay Vega

I still consider this a glitch. In my mind anyway.  There should be an option to have it the cs5.5 way, and have ctl click not make a cut. That would actually be very useful to me. But very rarely do I need to click on a camera angle and have it not make a cut, so I don't won't to have to press ctrl every time I make a cut. This is completely ruining the way I do multicam edits, and is close to being a dealbreaker for me. Combined with the fact that the scrubber has been taken out, so now I can't pinpoint where I won't my cut to go(sorry Adobe, I don't like using the JKL keys. Not precise enough when I'm doing fast multicam edits)

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2012 9:22 PM   in reply to WesHaley

WesHaley wrote:

I still consider this a glitch. In my mind anyway.  There should be an option to have it the cs5.5 way, and have ctl click not make a cut. That would actually be very useful to me. But very rarely do I need to click on a camera angle and have it not make a cut, so I don't won't to have to press ctrl every time I make a cut. This is completely ruining the way I do multicam edits, and is close to being a dealbreaker for me. Combined with the fact that the scrubber has been taken out, so now I can't pinpoint where I won't my cut to go(sorry Adobe, I don't like using the JKL keys. Not precise enough when I'm doing fast multicam edits)

I'm in complete agreement, this is a bona fide bug.  And knowing Adobe's track record, I'm more inclined to assume they just screwed up the port to CS6.  No one here, and probably no one anywhere, is arguing that it's an improvement from CS5.5 to require the Control key for the most common editing move for those of us who care to construct precise Multicamera sequences.

Thanks, though, for the temporary solution, Colin.

By the way, in typical sloppy fashion, Adobe's official help file for CS6's Multicamera function of course fails to mention this critical hassle:  http://helpx.adobe.com/content/help/en/premiere-pro/using/editing-mult i-camera-sequences1.html (they only mention it, passingly during the introduction, for hotkeys with numbers).

Next up:  Jim Simon defends Adobe again.

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2012 10:21 PM   in reply to hpmoon

I hate to disappoint, so...

I still think you guys are working with an inferior work flow.  One pass for a rough cut, uninterrupted.  A second quick pass in the sequence for fine tuning.  I think overall you'll spend less time this way than trying to be precise in the multicam window.  And of course, this work flow has the advantage of making this thread a non-issue.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 11:25 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim Simon wrote:

And of course, this work flow has the advantage of making this thread a non-issue.

Ah... that is not the point.

whether there is a better way or not people still like to work in a fashion that is familiar, especially if they are on a deadline. they can learn the new stuff later...

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 8:23 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim Simon wrote:

I hate to disappoint, so...

I still think you guys are working with an inferior work flow.  One pass for a rough cut, uninterrupted.  A second quick pass in the sequence for fine tuning.  I think overall you'll spend less time this way than trying to be precise in the multicam window.  And of course, this work flow has the advantage of making this thread a non-issue.

Aside from disagreeing with this, you overlook the other critical failure (par for the course) where Adobe fails to even clarify this change, and even their official help is a disaster in communicating this.

And then, another massive bug in the Multi-Camera workflow:  http://forums.adobe.com/message/4425335#4425335

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 8:23 AM   in reply to ACT.onn

especially if they are on a deadline. they can learn the new stuff later...

Well...call me crazy but, I really think the work will get done a LOT faster by adjusting your work flow than it will waiting for Adobe to change the program to work the way you want it to.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 11:59 AM   in reply to hpmoon

hpmoon wrote:

...you overlook the other critical failure (par for the course) where Adobe fails to even clarify this change, and even their official help is a disaster in communicating this.

Hello hpmoon,

I write the Help for Premiere Pro.

There is a multicam page for CS5/CS5.5 and for CS6. In the CS6 doc, I do say to add the Ctrl (Windows) or Command key (Mac) to cut to a new angle. It is in the third paragraph of the CS6 doc.
    http://helpx.adobe.com/content/help/en/premiere-pro/using/editing-mult i-camera-sequences1.html

If this is not clear enough, please let me know.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 2:05 PM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

Kevin Monahan wrote:

hpmoon wrote:

...you overlook the other critical failure (par for the course) where Adobe fails to even clarify this change, and even their official help is a disaster in communicating this.

Hello hpmoon,

I write the Help for Premiere Pro.

There is a multicam page for CS5/CS5.5 and for CS6. In the CS6 doc, I do say to add the Ctrl (Windows) or Command key (Mac) to cut to a new angle. It is in the third paragraph of the CS6 doc.
    http://helpx.adobe.com/content/help/en/premiere-pro/using/editing-mult i-camera-sequences1.html

If this is not clear enough, please let me know.

Specifically, the help page that you cited to briefly mentions the new CS6 Ctrl-key combination in reference to the use of number key shortcuts, and fails to mention its usage for the far more prevalent (and historically familiar) mouse-clicking upon camera views in the Multi-Camera Monitor.  Additionally, the help page fails to include the new CS6 Ctrl-key combination in its most important relevant spot:  Under "Adjust multi-camera edits in a Timeline panel," your bullet says, "Place the current-time indicator at the place in a Timeline where you want to replace a clip from one camera with a clip from another. In the Multi-Camera Monitor, select the replacing camera preview."  No one would possibly read the word "select" and assume that means pressing the Ctrl-key combination.

Thanks for making these changes.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 2:07 PM   in reply to hpmoon

far more prevalent mouse-clicking upon camera views

That seems like the hard way to do things to me.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 2:17 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim Simon wrote:

far more prevalent mouse-clicking upon camera views

That seems like the hard way to do things to me.

Your argument is going nowhere, repetitiously.  Please stop.  The crux of your point is that precision is useless.  We don't think so.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 2:26 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Thank you Jim.

I've always understood the purpose of the multicam editor to be for rough cuts. Kind of like switching a live show. You go back and make the fine adjustments in the timeline.

Another thing to consider is that using the multicam editor to watch the entire sequence while making rough cuts also allows you to watch the entire sequence and see any problems that may have occured. (glitched frames, camera bumps, etc...) That way you have seen the whole thing and know what you have.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 2:32 PM   in reply to hpmoon

The crux of your point is that precision is useless.

Not at all.  My point is that precision is better handled after the rough cut, not during.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 2:39 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim:  STOP.  Stubbornness is just not productive.  You are stuck on the idea of selecting camera locations in real time during a first pass.  We get that.  We do that.  The complaint in this thread began with the fact that fine-tuning these edits on the timeline now requires a Ctrl-key combination when it never did before; despite any argument about how it became better or worse, clearly it happened without notice and the Help files are severely flawed in leaving that out.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 2:40 PM   in reply to Jason R Brandt

Jason R Brandt wrote:

Thank you Jim.

I've always understood the purpose of the multicam editor to be for rough cuts. Kind of like switching a live show. You go back and make the fine adjustments in the timeline.

Another thing to consider is that using the multicam editor to watch the entire sequence while making rough cuts also allows you to watch the entire sequence and see any problems that may have occured. (glitched frames, camera bumps, etc...) That way you have seen the whole thing and know what you have.

Since these responses are staying in the world of theory, I'll remind you all again that even so, this process is fatally broken as discussed here:  http://forums.adobe.com/message/4425335#4425335

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 2:56 PM   in reply to hpmoon

hpmoon,

I'll make those changes today. Thanks for your feedback.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 4:09 PM   in reply to hpmoon

Theory????  This is the way I edit everything. I have at this point edited approximately 50 dance recitals, all being at least 2 hours long, 7 stage shows, again at least 2 hours long, 6 large stage productions of Shakespeare, most close to 3 hours long, all by using the multicam as a rough, and the timeline to make fine adjustments. Not theory, real world use.

I realize this thread is speaking to an issue some of you have with how you do your editing, I just feel the need to point out that someone has given you advice that might possibly make things easier for you, and all you're doing is complaining.

To some of us, there is no problem what so ever. So don't bash Adobe for getting it wrong, in your oppinion.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 7:22 PM   in reply to Jason R Brandt

[Edited for content.  Personal attack deleted.]

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 7:22 PM   in reply to hpmoon

The complaint in this thread began with the fact that fine-tuning these edits on the timeline now requires a Ctrl-key combination when it never did before

No.  It's about requiring a CTRL key combination to do it in the multicam window.  From the timeline, nothing has changed.

My point is that if you do the precision adjustments in the timeline with the rolling edit tool, this becomes a non-issue.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 10:35 AM   in reply to hpmoon

Under "Adjust multi-camera edits in a Timeline panel," your bullet says, "Place the current-time indicator at the place in a Timeline where you want to replace a clip from one camera with a clip from another. In the Multi-Camera Monitor, select the replacing camera preview."  No one would possibly read the word "select" and assume that means pressing the Ctrl-key combination.

BTW, you can replace the shot by just selecting the camera preview. Select, does mean "clicking on" in this context. I moved this sentence to "Switch to a camera angle," to avoid confusion. "Adjust multi-camera edits in a Timeline panel," contains information only when manipulating clips in the Timeline, not the Multi-Camera Monitor (combined with the Timeline). I adjusted that text, as well.

I hope this page is clearer for all: http://helpx.adobe.com/content/help/en/premiere-pro/using/editing-mult i-camera-sequences1.html

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 10:56 AM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

Kevin Monahan wrote:

Under "Adjust multi-camera edits in a Timeline panel," your bullet says, "Place the current-time indicator at the place in a Timeline where you want to replace a clip from one camera with a clip from another. In the Multi-Camera Monitor, select the replacing camera preview."  No one would possibly read the word "select" and assume that means pressing the Ctrl-key combination.

BTW, you can replace the shot by just selecting the camera preview. Select, does mean "clicking on" in this context. I moved this sentence to "Switch to a camera angle," to avoid confusion. "Adjust multi-camera edits in a Timeline panel," contains information only when manipulating clips in the Timeline, not the Multi-Camera Monitor (combined with the Timeline). I adjusted that text, as well.

I hope this page is clearer for all: http://helpx.adobe.com/content/help/en/premiere-pro/using/editing-mult i-camera-sequences1.html

Thanks, Kevin; the new section called "Cut to a camera angle" is basically the clarifying information that we needed, expanding everyone's understanding of the new Ctrl-key combination requirement to include not only the numbered keystrokes, but also clicking on the source in the Multi-Camera Monitor (when working from the Timeline, for example).

However, the section entitled "Change a camera angle" that immediately precedes it is not only redundant, but inaccurate, as it continues to leave out the Ctrl-key combination requirement when clicking on the new camera angle to effectuate an edit (and the sub-note about recording doesn't help).

I really think you should literally try these things out, following your own draft instructions, before posting them.  You'll see...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points