Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Migrate fm CS3 to CS6

May 15, 2012 10:35 AM

I just signed up for the Cloud and downloaded the new Dreamweaver.  Under Manage Sites the only import selection is for CS5.  How do I migrate from CS3?  Thanks,

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 15, 2012 11:25 AM   in reply to RRR Trail

Careful. We just started the same route trying to go from CS3 to CS6. In InDesign, once you open your CS3 file in CS6 you can't reopen in CS3 without having CS4.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 11:38 AM   in reply to vSente55

@vSente55, the behavior that you're mentioning is only applicable in case of InDesign and  not any other software. Dreamweaver is backward compatible upto any versions because the resultant saved file is an HTML file which doesn't use any required plugins as InDesign does to read and write a file.

-Shushobhan

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 3:27 PM   in reply to vSente55

vSente55 - Do you mean if you didn't change the file in CS6 InDesign but just merely opened it and quit for example, that you then had problems opening the file with CS3? Or was the problem if you made any modifications in CS6 InDesign?

Any other apps have similar problems - like Photoshop or Illustrator or any others?

Thanks...

-Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 9:47 PM   in reply to RRR Trail

@RRR Trail - From what I'm seeing, it looks like you can only import Dreamweaver CS5 and CS5.5 sites.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 5:27 AM   in reply to DeepYogurt

Deep Yogurt: If I made modifications. Haven't had issues with the other apps...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 6:49 AM   in reply to RRR Trail

I just did this.

Launch Dreamweaver CS3, and open the Manage Sites... dialog. Select each site in turn and choose "Export...", making sure to choose the option to include passwords etc.  Once done, launch the CS6 version, choose Manage Sites... again, and click on the Import Site button. Navigate to the location you saved your site definitions to, and bingo!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2012 3:42 PM   in reply to David C. Stone

Thanks David C. Stone I have only done the export part of the process so far but I am hoping it will work when I subscribe to Creative Cloud and download Dreamweaver CS6.

I have 150 sites and I didn't have to export them one by one.

I used the shift key to select all of the sites while in the Manage Sites dialog and then exported them and voilà! they all appeared in the designated folder.

It looked like it was only going to export the first one in the list but it did all of them.

I am in a PC environment still running Windows XP but soon to upgrade to W7 and the Creative Cloud.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2012 3:56 PM   in reply to David Thatcher Hard Web

David Thatcher Hard Web wrote:

I have 150 sites and I didn't have to export them one by one.

I used the shift key to select all of the sites while in the Manage Sites dialog and then exported them and voilà! they all appeared in the designated folder.

It looked like it was only going to export the first one in the list but it did all of them.

Yes, exporting and importing site definitions should be automatic between versions. Always has been for me.

If not, you must manually export then import.

Dreamweaver's Batch Export (Shift+Click or Ctrl+Click to select multiple site definitions) has always been a non-intuitive procedure in the Site Manager.

I discovered it by accident several years ago but, time and again, I've seen on these forums that most people don't seem to be aware of it - probably because it's poorly documented and, every step of the way, the DW UI makes it less than obvious that it's possible.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2013 11:10 AM   in reply to John Waller

What about a migration from CS3 with ADDT to CS6?

Is there a problem with the Adobe Dreamweaver Developer Toolbox part?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points