Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Re-rendering Canon XF footage

May 20, 2012 7:26 PM

Tags: #canon #rendering_issues #xf

Hi - just upgraded to CS5.5 for a new project. I bought it in the "free upgrade to CS6" period, so I'll grab that when it's available. Auto updates are on, so the software is at 5.5.2

I've got a puzzling issue with footage from a Canon XF300. The project is a multi-camera shoot of a school musical production, with footage from 2 x Sony Z1P cameras (stage left and stage right), and the Canon (locked-off wide shot from the lighting/audio control box). The project's specs are set for the Canon's footage (1920x1080 square pixels) and the Sony footage is imported to conform (1440x1080 1.333 pixel aspect ratio). About 90GB of footage files, all up.

Import, indexing, peak and cfa generation all went fine, but the indicator bar above the Canon footage timeline goes red if I so much as blink! I'm using opacity changes and a colour correction on the Canon footage, and of course that needs a render for smooth preview - but the bar still goes red if all I do is move the clip along the timeline. It's already rendered for the opacity and colour correction, now I just want to fine-tune the position of the clip, but moving it even a single frame left or right makes it want to re-render again, and that's slowing me down quite a bit. If I don't render the clip, then playback is too jerky to work with. I can turn playback resolution down to half to get around this, but I still think it's weird to have to re-render for a simple move. Any ideas? The Sony footage does not suffer this problem - one render if I use or change an effect (e.g. opacity or scaling), then I can move that clip without having to re-render.

I've already spent my budget on equipment (8GB memory and separate hard drives for OS/programs, media storage, and renders), so further hardware upgrades will have to wait.

The machine has a Corei5 CPU with 8GB DDR3 memory, one PATA drive for OS/programs/swapfile, a 500GB SATA for media, and a 500GB SATA for renders. Windows 7 Pro. Once the footage is rendered, playback is very smooth, so video performance is satisfactory.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 21, 2012 8:30 AM   in reply to Bernie at Clarity

You should not have any trouble playing back unrendered footage with that CPU.  Something is wrong somewhere.

Have you tried running the following?

http://ppbm5.com/

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 9:10 AM   in reply to Bernie at Clarity

I'm on Mac, and Pr 6 continues to un-render entire sequences, even after making a change to one clip.  I wish it wasn't so, but I suspect it's because Pr does top-down rendering, like Avid's Smart Render, as opposed to their option of bottom-up, with the Render All option, which allows one to make changes to upper layers without losing the rendering done on lower layers.

I wish Pr had both too.  I've put in a feature-request, and perhaps you'll consider adding your voice to the chorus.

I would like to compliment you on the lucidity of your post.  You described your issue articulately, and provided pertinent info about your set-up.  This puts you in a minority here.  I wish it was standard, but it's not.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 3:55 PM   in reply to Bernie at Clarity

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 3:56 PM   in reply to John T Smith

I put a bookmark button on my browser's title bar.  I do a lot of feature requesting and bug reporting.  Nice to have it handy.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points