Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop 5.1 printing to Epson issues

May 17, 2012 11:17 PM

Tags: #colour #print
I am on CS5.5, (Mac OS 10.6.8) and am having problems printing out in colour using Photoshop 5.1 to my Epson R3000. (It was fine with Photoshop 4, and is fine with Indesign 5.5) In Photoshop colour images come out in b/w with no way of changing the settings (colour and b/w options both greyed out) even though the print preview shows the image in colour.

In the print dialogue box if I select 'Photoshop manages colour' and then go to 'print settings' which brings up the print dialogue panel, go to 'print settings'  then 'colour matching' both the buttons 'ColorSync' and 'Epson Colour controls' are greyed out, so I can select neither.

Likewise under 'Print settings' when I go to 'print settings' under the drop down menu, the options for either colour or greyscale under 'colour' are both unavailable.

In the print dialogue box if I select 'Printer manages colour' then the 'print settings' button won't activate.

Like I say, this was fine on P'shop 4. The Epson drivers are up to date.

Thanks to anybody who can help!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 18, 2012 5:13 AM   in reply to madameblossom

HI,

Has it worked anytime before ? or it has always been the same ?

have you tried runing PS CS5.1 in 32 bit and in 64 bit mode ?

Is it the same behaviour in both modes ?

For switching the mode --  Goto the Photoshop application file and then right click and select Get Info , there will be a check box which would say Open in 32 bit mode, if you uncheck it it will run in 64 it mode

try in both modes. and check

it may be possibility that the printer drivers are 32 bit and PS is running in 64 bit -- so this Problem may occur

try to switch to 32 bit mode for PS and then check printing

Please uploas the snapshot for Print dialog box as well as print settings box

--Baljeet

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 5:34 AM   in reply to madameblossom

"In the print dialogue box if I select 'Photoshop manages colour' and then go to 'print settings' which brings up the print dialogue panel, go to 'print settings'  then 'colour matching' both the buttons 'ColorSync' and 'Epson Colour controls' are greyed out, so I can select neither."

Yep. That was done on purpose to prevent double-color management.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 11:09 PM   in reply to madameblossom

madameblossom wrote:

… How do I upload snapshots of the dialogue boxes?…

To embed images in your posts, just use the little camera icon in the Reply Editor of the forum web interface:

Adobe_forums_Camera-icon-in-reply-box.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 11:29 PM   in reply to madameblossom

Your printer profile should not be sRGB, it should be the specific profile for your printer ink and paper combination.

And when the application manages color, the driver color settings are supposed to be disabled (grayed out).

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 3:55 AM   in reply to madameblossom

Ouch!  Not only is setting a device-independent profile (sRGB) as your printer profile dead wrong, but you're starting out with an untagged file, i.e. a file without an embedded profile, and actually sending your printer an untagged file!

The only time you should be facing a situation of finding yourself with an untagged file in your hands is when some moron hands you such an untagged file, a file without an embedded profile.  In that most unfortunate circumstance, you're going to have to make an educated guess as to what color space that file was created in by successively assigning different profiles hoping you hit one in which the image looks best to you.  At that point, you tag the file with the lucky profile, then send it to the printer.

As your printer profile you MUST use a device-dependent profile as Chris Cox has instructed you.

After all that you can go ahead and hit the moron who handed you the untagged file upside the head and admonish him/her never, ever to do that again, or you'll never do business or work with him ever again.

Really.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 11:18 PM   in reply to madameblossom

Color Print Utility is only for printing calibration targets, it wouldn't help a bit.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 11:19 PM   in reply to madameblossom

spr3000 standard is still not the profile for your printer and paper.

You need to select the profile for your specific printer, and your specific paper (those profiles come with the printer for Epson papers).

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 12:27 AM   in reply to madameblossom

The appllication settings look fine.

But in the Photoshop print dialog, select the profile for your printer and paper, and not a generic profile. The profile should name the printer AND the specific type of paper you are using.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 12:37 AM   in reply to madameblossom

You have got to be kidding me, madamblossom!  You're sending your printer a 1,500 ppi image? ??    For a plain-paper print?

Try to use one of the photographic papers by Epson and use a profile designed specifically for that paper on your specific printer.

You'll get the best prints when the image you send to to your Epson R3000 paper is at a resolution that is exactly a multiple of 360, such as 360, 720, 1440 or 2880 ppi.  It pays to resample up or down to one of those exact resolution when printing on a newer Epson printer, as recently explained by Jeff Schewe.  (For Canon printers, a multiple of 300 is optimal.)

Why are you using such a huge piece of paper for such a tiny-but-incredibly-humongously-high-resolution image?

mmeblossom1.jpg

Also, why are you feeding your Epson R3000 plain paper? As per the above, try to use one of the photographic papers by Epson and use a profile designed specifically for that paper on your specific printer.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 12:55 AM   in reply to madameblossom

madameblossom wrote:

…in the generic Photoshop 'colour settings'; dialogue box below, are my settings correct?

mmeblossom2.jpg

Well, they're not really "wrong", but they're not optimal either. 

sRGB is a very narrow color space, sort of the lowest common denominator for the web, but for print you're throwing away a lot of colors and quality.

You're better off with a wider color space such as Adobe RGB as your working space for print.  I like to use ProPhoto RGB because I find it optimal and because by now I know how to deal with its potential pitfalls.  At your stage, I would not recommend you use ProPhoto RGB just yet, but if you want to print, you should consider at least Adobe RGB as your regular working space. Don't forget to tag your images always, i.e. embed the color profile in which they were created and edited.  If you need a copy of your image for the web, you can make a copy at the end of your workflow and convert it to sRGB.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 7:32 AM   in reply to station_two

Profiles are specific to the paper type and printer model.

These profiles are not automatically installed on your computer

Find out exactly the name and type of paper you are using.

With your printer, an Epson R3000

For Epson papers google Epson R3000 profiles

If you are using another paper manufacturer like Moab, google Moad Epson R3000 profiles

Download and install these profiles (instructions should be at the page you downloaded the files from)

Then you can select the specific profile for your printer and paper combination,

Good Luck!

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 11:14 PM   in reply to madameblossom

Resumed, though much has been said already by others.

Photoshop manages color

Download a printer profile, e.g.here:

http://shop.farbenwerk.com/486/icc-profile-fuer-epson-photo-r3000-/-ph otochrome-r30

Or calibrate the printer yourself, which is not simple, but preferable in the

long run. Choose an appropriate profile, depending on

paper, ink (PhotoBlack, MatteBlack) and probably resolution (for instance,

my profiles  are made for 720x1440 and a certain rasterization mode).

A printer profile has the extension icc or icm.

There is nowadays no further choice in the Epson printer menue, concerning

color management, in order to avoid double color management.

Attention: gray images are printed by all inks. Using an accurate profile,

the gray should be well balanced (no tint), but there is still the risk of so-called

bronzing (changing tint appearance, depending on light- and view-angles)

Printer manages color

Color print: the choice of paper should tell the printer the necessary

corrections, in my understanding by a hidden profile. This works probably

rather good for Epson paper and reasonably for other papers, choosing the

nearest similar Epson paper pro forma (as tested).

B/W print: this is a great feature. The printer uses only the three inks black,

darkgray  and light gray, with an initial choice between PhotoBlack and

MatteBlack, depending on the paper.

The so called tone reproduction curve is optimized, but it can be adjusted.

The print doesn't show bronzing. It is also possible to add a little color for a

cool look or a sepia  effect. This mode is the only 'professional' application

of the mode 'Printer manages color', in my opinion.

Tested by Epson 7890.

Best regards --Gernot Hoffmann

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2012 6:09 AM   in reply to madameblossom

...if I go to 'Photoshop manages colour' then 'Print settings' which takes me to the new dialogue box and then go to the drop-down menu showing 'layout' etc and scroll down to 'print settings', I still cannot set greyscale or color by the 'color' button which is greyed out.

Right, that is on purpose.

If I go to 'Printer manages color', on the same dialogue box if I go to 'Print settings' it will not activate at all, so I can now no longer go and set whether I want a greyscale version of the image or color or even the b/w print you talk about.

I have noticed that too. That is new and unexpected. I think there is an issue somewhere (in the driver?)  NOT working as it is supposed to. My understanding is that when Printer Manages Color, those options should be available (and were at one point, but no longer.)

Chris?

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2012 8:19 AM   in reply to charles badland

Yes, when the printer manages color, all the printer options should be available.

So it sounds like the driver has a problem when it manages color.

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2012 10:13 PM   in reply to madameblossom

madameblossom wrote:

I am going round in circles about this issue.

Because you aren't hearing (or won't listen to) what people are trying to tell you...in PS 5.x, OS X 6.x and the most recent Epson drivers, you have a choice: either Color Manage by Photoshop (in which ALL other options are dimmed out and unavailable) or Printer Manages Color in which you can alter the Epson print driver options. It's an either/or situation. If you want to print using the Advanced B&W mode in the Epson driver, your ONLY option is to choose Printer Manages Color. If you want to print out using an ICC profile for your printer and paper (in color) you must select Photoshop Manages Color. You can no longer mix and match your output modes. It's either Photoshop Manages Color for color or Printer Manages Color for Epson color or Advanced B&W.

You can thank (or blame) Apple for that limitation...and there is no way around this...you must select the correct options and the correct settings (or not and be frustrated). Which you seem to be...

I have an R3000 and have no problem printing from PS 5.x/CS6 or LR 3.x/4.x to the R3000 in either color or B&W as long as I select the correct settings.

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2012 12:01 AM   in reply to madameblossom

It works for me in 10.6.8 &10.7.4 so something about your system is off. I would suggest doing a complete resest of the Fax & Printer (google it) followed by a reinstall of the driver.

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2012 6:36 PM   in reply to Jeff Schewe

Jeff,

I see the same problem of all driver print settings being grayed out even with Printer Manages Color selected. (10.6.8 Epson R2400)

The "complete reset of the Fax &amp" is this? (Mac OSX: How to reset the printing system")

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1341

I'm away from my machine for 14 days, so I'll try on return. Thanks for chiming in.

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2012 11:30 PM   in reply to madameblossom

madameblossom wrote:

I see much feedback that says you should never use the Apple supplied EPSON Printer software updates. Is that true?

To a certain extent, I would agree since the Apple based driver updates tend to be based on the CUPS drivers not the Epson supplied drivers–which tend to leave users unable to select the proper options in the print drivers.

But...not seeing the Print Drivers button is a different issue...can you try selecting fist Photoshop Manages Colr then selecy Print Manages Color and see if the Print Settings button shows up?

Personally, I've not been bitten by this issue but I've seen some people who can not select the correct options in the Print dlog. Sorry I can't be of more help...I guess I'm lucky cause everything seems to work for me :~(

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2012 11:53 PM   in reply to madameblossom

Madameb, as I read this, I assumed the problem was that your preset was "last used settings" and that you had used B/W previously. glad to hear it's resolved anyway.

My question: I am having issues with Epson SP 2200 printer, brand new Imac LION and newly purchased CS5.5. When printing in Photoshop - going through many tests, paper & ink to adjust color.

So - I have found from Apple site a page where drivers can be downloaded rather than relying on the Apple software updates - I don't know diff between Epson and CUPS but should I just download the driver from the Apple site or am I going to have the same problems as with the software update driver installations?

(page here: http://support.apple.com/downloads/#printer%20drivers)

Any help appreciated.

Oh and for illustrations in color: let Photoshop manage?   thanks

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points