Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

sensible workflow for old formats?

May 21, 2012 7:53 AM

Tags: #type #formats #dv #old #timer #1 #deinterlace #decompress #deshake

I've now got numerous avi files from camcorders. These files are typically DV Type 1, Pal, 720x576(1.4587), 25fps, Lower, 48kHz stereo. I need to do a batch job of stabilizing the footage, however my attempts using AE (warp stabilizer) took hours for 1 clip. (new high spec pc)

My attemtps using the free VirtualDub gave the same good looking results in just a few minutes. (i dont know why!)

My main question is should I convert my files to an uncompressed format first?

Again in VirtualDub i found i could save as uncompressed/huffyuv & deinterlace.

I'd like to convert to a sensible intermediate codec / deinterlace if necesary / and stabilize all within an Adobe batch. I do have lots of clips to tidyup BEFORE editing and making pretty movies.

Please, any tips?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 21, 2012 8:27 AM   in reply to WebOfWebs

I recently did some Warp in Pro to DV footage.

It analyzed the footage in a jiffy.

A decent computer should not have any issues with plain old DV.

Are you sure its Pal type 1.

Edit first then add Warp.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 1:44 AM   in reply to WebOfWebs

Rewrap the AVI to type2. That gives far less problems with PR.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 11:26 AM   in reply to WebOfWebs

WebOfWebs wrote:

I've now got numerous avi files from camcorders. These files are typically DV Type 1, Pal, 720x576(1.4587), 25fps, Lower, 48kHz stereo. I need to do a batch job of stabilizing the footage, however my attempts using AE (warp stabilizer) took hours for 1 clip. (new high spec pc)

My attemtps using the free VirtualDub gave the same good looking results in just a few minutes. (i dont know why!)

My main question is should I convert my files to an uncompressed format first?

Again in VirtualDub i found i could save as uncompressed/huffyuv & deinterlace.

I'd like to convert to a sensible intermediate codec / deinterlace if necesary / and stabilize all within an Adobe batch. I do have lots of clips to tidyup BEFORE editing and making pretty movies.

Please, any tips?

There should be no need to pre-convert the footage unless, as Harm elluded to, you are having problems reading DV type1.

WarpStab is a cpu & memory hog of a plugin. On CS5.5 I'm yes to be able to do more than 10min of total clip time in one AE project without it locking up. Note I'm saying total clip time - not a 10min clip.

So I don't have good answer for you since I too want my src footage stabilized before editing - why edit to then find that it can't be stabilized enough to be usable?

My solution has been to drop a few clips in to AE and then queue it out to AME. Build up a big pipeline of work and let it chug away for a week.

It has it's limitations and quirks but does do an AMAZING job on previously unusable footage... http://youtu.be/74l5U1tcVFQ

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2012 4:45 AM   in reply to WebOfWebs

AE uses an embedded version of the AME.  If you want the full AME, then launch it first and add you AE comp to the render queue from there.

Help Reference: Adobe After Effects * Basics of rendering and exporting

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2012 9:27 AM   in reply to WebOfWebs

WebOfWebs wrote:

sorry to be totally dense, but do you mean save and close AE, and then get the file/open or import with AME?

Yes. That's what Jeff means.

Also, I save and close AE and reopen it, create a new set of comps (upto 10minutes) to be stabilized. That way it starts fresh - ie with all the available memory.

After all the comps are ready, do as Jeff said - open AME and then import the AE projects so that you have a queue of them.

OT - Is it Friday yet?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points