Skip navigation
GordonMalan
Currently Being Moderated

File Associations in Bridge CS6

May 21, 2012 1:32 AM

Tags: #bridge_cs6

I upgraded CS5 Design Premium to CS6 Design & Web Premium. Most of my preferences (layout, etc) were imported correctly from CS5. When I right-click (PC, Windows 7) on the Bridge CS6 thumbnail, and click on 'Open with ...', there was a collection of Microsoft programs (COM Surrogate 6.1, Microsoft PowerPoint 12.0, Publisher 12.0, Windows Live Photo Gallery 15.4), and no Photoshop (Default). When I used  the WIndows fille-associations program, and Photoshop CS6 was associated with *.psd files, then it appeared in the 'Open with ...' menu as Photoshop (Default). However, the other Microsoft programs are still present. How do I get rid of these and add the relevant Adobe programs (Ai, Id, Dw, etc), please?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 21, 2012 2:47 PM   in reply to GordonMalan

Moving this discussion to the Photoshop General Discussion forum.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 21, 2012 3:27 PM   in reply to GordonMalan

Open Bridge and go to Edit on the menu bar and select Preferences from the drop down menu. Go to FILE TYPE ASSOCIATIONS and you will see a list of the current associations for each file type.  To change, click on the down arrow, browse to the current location if necessary and select the appropriate application that you want Bridge to use.  Then click OK at the bottom of the preferences panel.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 22, 2012 1:45 PM   in reply to GordonMalan

With Windows 7 unfortunately you're not really given the tools to completely manage what shows up in the context menu.  It seems to be part of Microsoft's strategy of oversimplifying things, even when there's loss of functionality, so that laypeople don't find Windows daunting.  I always figured better education and help facilities ought to do the trick, but they continually take the power to control one's own computer away.  You don't want to know what's coming in Windows 8.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points