Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why do some posts have white backgroud?

May 20, 2012 May 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have see a couple of posts where each line in the text has a white backgound.  Example below.

Curt Y,

Community Member

May 20, 2012 8:12 AM

This is NOT TRUE.  "FYI:  In Windows, to exit a program/application, clicking the Close button Picture of the Close button in the upper-right corner of the program window is the same as using the File menu, and click Exit."

If you click the red X you close the window and force close of the program.  Any changes you made to program will not be saved if you have the option "start Bridge at login" checked.   If you click File>Exit the program will go through the procedure to normally close down, and any changes you made will be saved. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 21, 2012 May 21, 2012

But this is how Copy&Paste works: if the originating text contains formatting, this is all copied into the clipboard.  And if the target area (like this forum editor) supports formatting, then this is carried along.  And if you type after this formatted text, the formatting remains that way.

Older forums mostly had text-based editors, with code like BBcode for formatting, but most modern forums have inline text formatting, which results in that behaviour.

Most users don't really care how their pos

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curt, you seem to have missed this thread;

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1002437?tstart=0

"Normal" participants do not seem too happy about this, not counting the messy look it gives to the forums, but I don't see it in the list of problems to be solved on May 24.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio - that's not the problem here. In Curt's example every line of text has a wayward inline style applied:

<span style="font-family: 'segoe ui',verdana,arial,sans-serif; font-size: 14px; background-color: #ffffff;">

but the post itself has a gray background, as it should.

It shouldn't have the inline styles, but why it's happening is a bit of a mystery at the moment. Seems to affect content that's been cut/pasted. You can see the styles by starting a reply to Curt's post, quoting it using the icon on the editor, then switching to HTML mode.

And with respect, you don't see post background highlighting  on the 'list of problems to fix' as it's not a bug. Adobe wanted it that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I coppied the first line from a user, but her text was the same as this example.

When I continued my answer each paragraph had a white background superimposed on the gray background of the response.

Not a big deal, just makes these particular posts stand out like they were from an employee or community professional.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you copied some text from a post, then you also copy the style (unless you clean the formatting data one way or another).

Then you continue typing, using the existing style elements.

(To clean formatting data, you can paste the copied text into Notepad, then copy it back from there; Notepad does not use formatting.  Or use something like PureText to remove formatting from the clipboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But the point is, there are many of us who do not want any special format for post from Community Profesionals and the like...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 21, 2012 May 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But this is how Copy&Paste works: if the originating text contains formatting, this is all copied into the clipboard.  And if the target area (like this forum editor) supports formatting, then this is carried along.  And if you type after this formatted text, the formatting remains that way.

Older forums mostly had text-based editors, with code like BBcode for formatting, but most modern forums have inline text formatting, which results in that behaviour.

Most users don't really care how their posts look, but those who do need to learn some methods to control the formatting.  Removing formatting from copied text, or going into HTML to manually control formatting.

There was some time when this forum editor removed almost all formatting from text (spammer control), but since the upgrade to 4.5, formatting remains mostly intact.  I personally like this, as it allows me to make my posts more readable.  But the side-effects are what we are seeing here...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2012 May 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is strange.

I often quote parts of other posts by simply copying and pasting and then selecting and pressing the quote button, both before and after this latest change, and I have never seen any funny formatting.

And what Claudio said, although Dave does his best to discourage us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 22, 2012 May 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave Merchant wrote:

Claudio - that's not the problem here. In Curt's example every line of text has a wayward inline style applied:

Well, it would seem that I only read the title of the thread and did not pay too much attention to the details of Curt's message...

Am I wrong, or there was a time when copied and pasted text just took the normal formatting of text in these forums? If not, I am seeing this in other (non-Adobe) forums, and I must say that it helps a lot to keep the general tidiness of the pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 24, 2012 May 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Claudio,

Yes, there WAS a time.

Regardless of what the post's background was, the text, only, came in with my Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V. Not that long ago, that changed for me, at least on Google, where it had worked fine for quite a long time. My guess would be that it happened after a minor, Friday PM maintenance session, but cannot attribute a date to it.

Things can get ugly quick, when one doe the Block Quote treatment.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines