• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to distinguish between 5.0 and 5.5 files without opening them?

New Here ,
May 21, 2012 May 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have both files and are needing to republish them for a new LMS. Since they have the same name, we don't know which version to use to open them. We don't want to convert the 5.0s to 5.5, just republish, and don't want to waste time trying to open the 5.5 versions in 5.0, but the trial and error is taking a lot of time.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2012 May 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know of any way to tell the difference other than attempting to open the file with Captivate 5.  If it's a 5.5 file it will spit an error message at you saying it can't open the file.

As a suggestion for future reference:  One Cp 5.5 hit and we found the formats were different (Cp6 is just going to make this worse) then we started addind a suffix to all Cp5 files we upgraded to 5.5 format.  So in the same folder we might have MyCourse.cptx and MyCourse_Cp5.5.cptx.  Your other alternative is to divide the files into different folders for Cp5 and Cp5.5, however, I would still suggest you add either a prefix or a suffix to the file so that you can tell them apart in the Captivate Recent Files list.

We did this so that we could specifically avoid the issue you're now encountering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 22, 2012 May 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about hovering your mouse pointer over the file in the folder ?

Does that not bring up a pop up window with the details of the version of Captivate used ?

Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No Noel, not even the properties will show which version of CP you did use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a shame.

Would have thought that easy access to sort of information was an essential part of any software.

Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 23, 2012 May 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Dave,

I've filed an enhancement request in this regard.  I agree with Noel that there should be some simple way to identify which version created the original file in order to facilitate this sort of work.

--Allen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We do the same at work as Rob suggest by adding a suffix to the filename in order to be able to identify which version we used. Adobe Captivate 5.5 was released in the beginning of June 2011 if I remember correctly, so any project files you have that has been created (check the file properties) earlier than this date will be Captivate 5 projects at least.

There is however an "easy" way to identify Captivate 2,3 and 4 projects from Captivate 5 and 5.5 projects. The files from version 2-4 all show “Adobe Captivate 5.5" as type in Windows Explorer, while the files from version 5 and 5.5 shows “Adobe Captivate Project [Compatible Mode]“. It seems like files saved from earlier versions than Adobe Captivate 5 shows up as "Adobe Captivate 5.5" but files saved in Adobe Captivate 5 and 5.5 shows up as the Adobe Captivate Project [Compatible Mode]. It seems a bit backwards actually ;o

http://www.cpguru.com/quick-tip-adobe-captivate-project-compatible-mode-what-is-it/

One other thing that is insanely annoying is that if you use the "Open with" command then it just shows Adobe Captivate a number of times and then some very very similar icons so it's more or less impossible to distinguish between them. It would nice if it actually said "Adobe Captivate 4", "Adobe Captivate 5" etc. instead of just "Adobe Captivate".

www.cpguru.com - Adobe Captivate Widgets, Tutorials, Tips and Tricks and much more..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Allen, I appreciate that very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Allen

I don't suppose you might also consider asking the dev team to consider a way that allows older versions to coexist with newer versions in much the same way folks use Microsoft products? For example, allow Captivate 5.5 to "save down" to a format that 5.0 understands?

I think that would be a welcome enhancement by many folks... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can hear strains of an old AeroSmith song in my head....it goes like this:

Dream On Dream On Dream On

Dream until your dream comes true

Dream until your dream comes through

Dream On Dream On

Dream On Dream On, AHHHHHHH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've actually asked for that more than once.  I also think that there are more reasons than ever to re-evaluate that policy. So yes, I'll argue for it. Most recently for example i was talking to a developer from Atlanta who made a similar request. Her point, that when working with multiple clients, people often have no control over Cp version used by each company, and it's entirely possible that in many cases the problem of no back save is causing people to delay upgrades as a result of a desire to remain compatible with various clients - which I think is generally bad for everyone.  Upgrades not only give new features, they also stabilize and secure applications.  It's important to facilitate as many workflows as we can.  Lastly, I think that the HTML5 breakpoint (in the future versions) provides an opportunity to make a clean break to a new approach.  HTML5 will likely be at least to some degree backward compatible, so in the interest of parity between Flash and HTML5 perhaps we should add that functionality when publishing to both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources