Skip navigation
waltezell
Currently Being Moderated

Moving instead of copying files from my camera

Jul 10, 2009 9:56 AM

When I use Lightroom to move photos from my camera to my computer, I want it to automatically delete the copied files from my camera. How do I do this?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 10, 2009 10:39 AM   in reply to waltezell

You can't and it's unlikely that you ever will. By leaving the originals on the card you at least have an escape path if  something nasty had occurred during import.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2009 12:06 PM   in reply to Ian Lyons

As Ian notes, it most likely won't ever be incorporated, as it's one of the worst ideas ever, even though iPhoto seems to want you to do so.

May I suggest that just prior to each shoot, you reformat the card? This is not only a safer approach than erasing all, but is faster, the more so when the card is full.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2009 10:40 AM   in reply to waltezell

You say nothing has ever gone wrong--- with you- and it may well stay that way forever. Perhaps there's scant risk- and it's certainly lowered when folks are paying attention as you are.

Whenever I pick up a camera for a new shoot, I take a quick look at the contents of the CF card. If there's any doubt I haven't downloaded the contents, I don't format or erase. Prior to a major shoot, I am likely to do the checking prior to heading out.

Mileage varies as to what works for each of us.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 9:29 PM   in reply to Ian Lyons

A someone moving to Lightroom from Photoshop Elements, this is a very much missed feature. The lack of a "move" or "delete source files" when importing from the camera is a hardship for those of us used to this functionalily in the otherwise, less capable Elements organizer. Any suggestions where to request this as a feature in future versions of Lightroom? I agree there are many users who would not enable this feature. But to not include a camera move/delete function is a burden to thoes of us users who want to use it routinely in our workfow; and are willing to trade the risk of loosing a file occasionally for the efficiency and convenience this feature provides.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 5:20 AM   in reply to waltezell

waltezell wrote:

I have been using the "Move" workflow for years. I can do this in Windows Explorer or Olympus Master. Nothing has ever gone wrong, because the software doesn't delete till the copying is complete. What scares me about not having "move" available is this: What if I format the CF card or delete the contents thinking I have copied the photos when I haven't? "Move" is fool-proof. "Copy" and "Format" is fraught with danger. It's OK to say you don't want to do it my way, but to cripple the software so I have to do it a way that frightens me is really obnoxious. So at this point I won't be using Lightroom to transfer photos from the camera to my computer. I'll have to think long and hard about whether to use Lightroom at all.

Adobe is protecting you from computer-related mistakes; with Copy you always have at least one good copy of your photos on the camera card, and almost always two good copies (one on the card and one on your CD).

Adobe cannot protect you from your own mistakes. Formatting the card, if you haven't verified the files are properly on your computer's HD, is a mistake by the user. No matter what path Adobe takes in programming, there's always the risk the user will make a mistake.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 6:27 AM   in reply to dj_paige

Let's see if I can figure this out:

1) You spend $1,000s on camera equipment, computer equipment, and software.

2) Take hours, days, or even weeks shooting pictures, some of which you will never capture again.

3) Then toil for hours, days, or perhaps even weeks processing the images in LR.

4) Yet you think it is inconvenient and/or time-consuming to spend a few additional seconds to "manually" remove the images on your camera memory card(s)?

Search this forum for posts concerning "lost files." It happens way too often due to user errors, equipment failures, solar flares, voodoo, and just plain laziness!

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 7:04 AM   in reply to trshaner

Thanks so much to dj_paige and trshaner for the quick replies!

Please realize that this is coming from a consumer-level (not pro-level) perspective. We certainly don’t consider ourselves photographers, and nothing we do is mission critical (i.e., taking photos for our online businesses and family photos/videos). Because Lightroom is “lightyears” ;-) beyond the Organizer in Photoshop Elements, we couldn’t resist making the switch to Lightroom. However, it seems ironic that the consumer-level program (Elements Organizer) allows deletion of files on flash media, whereas the pro-level product (Lightroom) has disabled this function. Also, if the “Move” function is so risky, why have it as an option for any media (including internal hard drives) and require the user to manually delete the source files after importing with ‘Copy’?

It would be nice if the Lightroom developers would allow us to turn “ON” the ‘Move’ function for flash media in Preferences (maybe even with a pop-up warning that mistakes could result in lost files). That way Lightroom could be customized for more efficient workflows, less complexity for us consumers who are not so worried about the occasional lost import.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 7:09 AM   in reply to MIDI Panic

MIDI Panic wrote:

the consumer-level program (Elements Organizer) allows deletion of files on flash media, whereas the pro-level product (Lightroom) has disabled this function.

And that pretty much settles it right there. No pro would ever delete/move.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 7:30 AM   in reply to twenty_one

When Lightroom was first introduced, it was marketed as THE program for professional photographers.  All of the hobbyists are demanding, and Adobe is trying to accommodate all of those demands for all these cute little features that other consumer-level programs include.  I don't believe Adobe has decided what Lightroom is anymore.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 7:30 AM   in reply to MIDI Panic

MIDI Panic wrote:

It would be nice if the Lightroom developers would allow us to turn “ON” the ‘Move’ function for flash media in Preferences (maybe even with a pop-up warning that mistakes could result in lost files). That way Lightroom could be customized for more efficient workflows, less complexity for us consumers who are not so worried about the occasional lost import.

Since they probably never will, I suggest you get used to the idea of importing, backing up, and then deleting in-camera.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 7:34 AM   in reply to Lee Jay

Might I suggest that using the camera's ReFormat menu item is faster than delete all. At least it is on all of mine. I never delete photos from the card until I am ready to reuse it; by then I am backed up and have deleted dups and OoF ones. Safety first!

Good luck!

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 8:04 AM   in reply to J McWilliams

Thanks all for the thoughtful replies. I certainly don’t advocate dumbing-down the core purpose of Lightroom (i.e., powerful organization and automation for the professional photographer). Perhaps the best take-home is that, for us consumer-level users, we should learn to adopt the best practices of professional photographers and adapt our workflows to be more “professional” if we are going to use professional-grade software.

So I’m convinced! No more deleting my camera files from inside of a computer-based software program; but rather delete files using the camera’s built-in erase or reformat features, yes?

Thanks again!

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 8:43 AM   in reply to MIDI Panic

MIDI Panic wrote:

Good to hear! Two additional points against using 'Move' that no one has mentioned, and a few more tips:

1) When using 'Move' to transfer your images from memory card to hard drive you lose the ability to perform even the simplest integrity check for file count and size. I always use Windows Explorer to compare the actual HDD file count and and folder size to that of the memory card contents. It only takes a few seconds!

2) Letting LR delete individual image files puts additional stress on the memory card and takes additional time. Doing an 'in-camera' card format takes the least time, writes to the least number of memory locations (i.e. least stress), AND insures integrity and compatibility of card's the file allocation table.

3) Don't forget to make a 2nd 'Copy' of your image files to a backup drive.

May your image files 'Live Long & Prosper!'

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 11:47 AM   in reply to trshaner

trshaner wrote:

May your image files 'Live Long & Prosper!'

Thanks for taking the time to explain the value of only doing ‘in-camera’ file deletions. I feel somewhat embarrassed to bother the professional or prosumer members of this forum with such uninformed questions. But I think that taking the time to explain the rationale behind your import workflows will save a lot of pain and time in the future for many of us novices out here. And, yes, we do at least have continuous backup of our files to our Amazon S3 account (~40,000 images and videos currently); so at least we have been doing part of the workflow right. ;-)

Thanks again for the help!

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 1:05 PM   in reply to MIDI Panic

Hi MIDI Panic,

For me there is even another reason why I would never use a "move" function from a camera card:

My camera should be the only device that writes to the card. So that I minimize the risk of data corruption in initial writing of a captured file to the card.

I try to avoid swapping cards between cameras. And if I have to, first thing I do is formating the card in camera. Which is good house-keeping anyway, even if I often just use the erase-function of the camera.

I would never allow one of my computers to write (or delete) on a camera's card.

Maybe superstition, but on the safe side. It has never failed me so far.

Cornelia

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 1:13 PM   in reply to MIDI Panic

Don't feel embarrassed, asking questions is how we learn, problem is sometimes the answers can get in the way. There are a few folks on this forum and others that forget there are beginners or folks with limited IT knowledge.

The purpose of this forum is to provide help to those that need and ask....

So the old adage really holds true, there is no such thing as a stupid question....

Have a great day

MK

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points