Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

stroked type in ID not aligning w/stroke in PDF

May 22, 2012 7:49 AM

Tags: #font #cs5.5 #indesign #type #stroke

I have a weird situation, and I'm thinking it's related to the particular font, not anything in InDesign, per se.

I have some black type with a tiny (.05pt) stroke applied in ID (CS5.5). Everything looks fine on screen. However when I export a PDF, the type doesn't align with the strokes — it's as if different kerning/tracking has been applied to the type, but not the strokes. It's not all the type, and not on every line, but most of it has this "ghosting" or "halo" look to it when you zoom in to the PDF.

We've run similar type treatments in different fonts, and this didn't happen. I've tried a variety of PDF export settings (Press Quality, PDF/X-4, 1a) even exporting to IDML and bringing it into CS4. I'm not changing the fonts to outlines (I've read threads about how outlined text w/strokes caused issues) and there is no transparency. (As a test, I did try Isolate Blending and flattening, but that rastered all the type into jaggy bitmaps.)

There's also something I haven't normally seen (because I don't normally look) but it looks like the font is listed twice in the Fonts list in the Document settings — once ansi encoded and once again with Custom encoding.

This is what makes me think it's the font.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 22, 2012 8:26 AM   in reply to David_Cardillo

Listing of fonts more than once is not unusual.

Which particular font is it? Is it only this font that has the problem?

How are you vieing the PDF?

Can you give us a screen shot? Use the cmaera icon onthe web page to embed it in your post like this:

CameraIcon.png

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 8:59 AM   in reply to David_Cardillo

Would you be willing to share a sample .indd  file that has this problem?

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 10:42 AM   in reply to David_Cardillo

You can either post a link here for anyone, or send me a private message. I have Cochin LT Std, but a newer version, which might be instuctive, too.

I'm not surprised, by the way that the sroke is a separate object in the PDF. I'm not sure how it could be anything else.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points