Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Video Card--Acceleration--CUDA

May 22, 2012 9:54 AM

With Premier Pro CS5, I had gotten software and hardware acceleration by changing the text file. "cuda-supported_cards.txt" and adding my Nvidia "GeForce GTX 260" to the list. In Premier Pro CS6, this doesn't work, and I get neither form of acceleration. On the other hand, the system does seem to play well and, when tested, to render a segment quickly. (Though it doesn't seem to allow changing the effects settings while playing). So, my questions:

1. Is there a way to get that video card to be recognized? Another hack?

2. Do I even need the CUDA etc. if things work relatively well?

3. Were I to buy a card, keeping expenses down (non-professional use), which is a reasonable cost-effective yet still quite useable one? I've heard the GeForce 570 2 GB is a possibility?

Thank you

kdoc

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 22, 2012 9:59 AM   in reply to kdoc2

The hack works the same on CS6.  Not sure why it didn't for you.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 10:08 AM   in reply to kdoc2

1. To use the Mercury Playback Engine with full support in CS6, you'll need a Quadro Card, and of course the most up-to-date driver installed for it:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/premiere-pro-cs6.html

2. No, if you're happy with your current playbcak then just ignore the 'previously edited in mercury...' warning when opening your olde cuda-enable prjects from SC5.n

3. I'm not sure, I'll leave that up to our fellow consumers.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 10:06 AM   in reply to kdoc2

I don't have a link handy, but I believe I read somewhere that CS6 is "enough" changed that an nVidia driver that worked with CS5/CS5.5 may not work with CS6... meaning you need to update your nVidia driver

I've seen mention that the current driver (for Windows ???) is 296."something" (can't remember the exact number... go to nVidia and check)

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 10:09 AM   in reply to jstrawn

>Mercury Playback Engine with full support in CS6, you'll need a Quadro Card

Say What ???

What about all the people who use nVidia cards other than Quadro?

Is this a Mac thing? (I just read the OP again... no mention of Mac)

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 10:21 AM   in reply to John T Smith

My apologies. In a hurry, I read the list and responded too quickly and didn't call out the mac/win diferences. There are lot more supported cards for windows than for mac. Sorry to say your card is not on the list for CS6 though.... At any rate, it's all made pretty clear here:

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/tech-specs.html

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 10:26 AM   in reply to jstrawn

Supported NVIDIA graphics cards for GPU acceleration

• GeForce GTX 285 (Windows and Mac OS)
    • GeForce GTX 470 (Windows)
    • GeForce GTX 570 (Windows)
    • GeForce GTX 580 (Windows)
    • NVIDIA® Tesla C2075 card (Windows) when paired with a Quadro card as part of an NVIDIA Maximus™ configuration
    • Quadro FX 3700M (Windows)
    • Quadro FX 3800 (Windows)
    • Quadro FX 3800M (Windows)
    • Quadro FX 4800 (Windows and Mac OS)
    • Quadro FX 5800 (Windows)
    • Quadro 2000 (Windows)
    • Quadro 2000D (Windows)
    • Quadro 2000M (Windows)
    • Quadro 3000M (Windows)
    • Quadro 4000 (Windows and Mac OS)
    • Quadro 4000M (Windows)
    • Quadro 5000 (Windows)
    • Quadro 5000M (Windows)
    • Quadro 5010M (Windows)
    • Quadro 6000 (Windows)
    • Quadro CX (Windows)
    • Tesla C2075** (Windows)

The list of graphics cards that are compatible with Adobe® Premiere® Pro CS6 is updated on a regular basis. For the most current info, go to the NVIDIA website: http://www.nvidia.com/object/premiere-pro-cs6.html > CERTIFIED AND RECOMMENDED GPUS (box on the right side).

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 11:02 AM   in reply to jstrawn

FYI: PC CS6:

I have (3) GeForce GTX 570's with 6 core I7 980's, 24 Gigs of ram.... (Windows) & Adobe is working on a rendering issue when "Video Rendering & Playback" is set to Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration, all 3 of my PC's crash during transcoding with  2 or 3 PinP layers + 1 title. Without the basic adobe title I can do 9 + layers no problem. This is true for AME & PP.

I have to use Software Only Mode for my complex projects which is just about everything i do.

Adobe is presently working on this.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2012 4:05 PM   in reply to jstrawn

What are the measureable advantage of a Quadro 6000 + aTesla 2075   wheb compared to a  a Quadro 4000 + aTesla 2075?

Where and what kind a performance differences would I see in Premiere, After Effects and Media Encoder.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2012 4:14 PM   in reply to lasvideo

Or compared to a single GTX 680 for a fraction of the price?

GTX 680: € 450

Quadro 4000 + Tesla C2075: € 3000

Quadro 6000 + Tesla C2075: € 5800

Seems rather obvious to me that the Maximus solution is only for the Bill Gates wallets.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2012 4:20 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Thanks Harm.

Money is not an issue here, Im looking for info that addresses performance enhancements in Premiere (format playback, exporting, encoding,etc) and After Effects (ray tracing and Sapphire plugins).

So please leave any fiscal preaching at the door 

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2012 4:41 PM   in reply to lasvideo

Money is not an issue here

In that case, just get a Quadro 6000 and wait a bit for the Tesla K20. That should be a Monster combination for Maximus. K20 will probably be available by Q4/2012 for less than $ 4K.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2012 4:45 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

This purchase will be long before then.

Im not looking for suggestions, Im looking for someone who has first hand experience with any of the configurations mentioned above so I can get a better idea of performance enhancements on the specific functions I have mentioned.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2012 6:35 PM   in reply to kdoc2

is there anywhere online where we can see benchmarks comparing the speed benefits of the different nvidia cards with premiere and after effects? the only numbers I've ever seen showed very little difference between the gt240 and the highest end nvidia quadro cards (like a 1 or 2 percent increase using the higher end cards.) but wondering if that has changed at all since cs6 and kepler hadn't been released yet when that article was made.

edit:

Looks like the original article was updated for cs6 and kepler

http://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/PremiereCS5.htm

thx,

Jayson

youtube.com/AWDEfilms

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2012 6:54 PM   in reply to woodybrando

I'm still disappointed that we don't get 3x the performance with 3x the cores.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2012 7:15 PM   in reply to woodybrando

Thanks Jayson. Thats a real treasure chest of good info. I never even heard of that site. Nice find.

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 2:44 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

That is because you don't understand the architectual changes. The memory bandwidth is about equal to the 580 and if you can't get the data from the VRAM to RAM faster than in the past, there is no speed advantage.

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 4:20 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

[Moved to Hardware Forum]

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 6:33 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim,

Jim Simon wrote:

That's basically because the shader units (CUDA cores) in the Kepler GPUs run at the same speed as the GPU core while those in the Fermi GPUs run at double the core speed.

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 6:37 AM   in reply to woodybrando

Jayson,

woodybrando wrote:

is there anywhere online where we can see benchmarks comparing the speed benefits of the different nvidia cards with premiere and after effects? the only numbers I've ever seen showed very little difference between the gt240 and the highest end nvidia quadro cards (like a 1 or 2 percent increase using the higher end cards.) but wondering if that has changed at all since cs6 and kepler hadn't been released yet when that article was made.

edit:

thx,

Jayson

youtube.com/AWDEfilms

That link on Dave's site just basically confirms the results that Bill had gotten from a GTX 260 and a GTX 550 Ti: The memory throughput of the GTX 550 Ti just falls short of that of the GTX 260.

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 4:32 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

That is because you don't understand the architectual changes.

Nope.  Even understanding that, I'm still disappointed.

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 6:39 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Look at this way, all encoding is done by the CPU so you have not changed that at all, the only things handled by the GPU that could be speeded up are as follows:

"List of GPU accelerated effects in Premiere Pro CS5  Here is a list of the effects and transitions that can be accelerated by CUDA in Adobe Premiere Pro CS5, Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.3) and Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5 and later.      Alpha Adjust      Basic 3D      Black & White      Brightness & Contrast      Color Balance (RGB)      Color Pass (Windows only)      Color Replace      Crop      Drop Shadow      Edge Feather      Extract      Fast Color Corrector      Gamma Correction      Garbage Matte (4, 8, 16)      Gaussian Blur      Horizontal Flip      Levels      Luma Corrector      Luma Curve      Noise      Proc Amp      RGB Curves      RGB Color Corrector      Sharpen      Three-way Color Corrector      Timecode      Tint      Track Matte Key      Ultra Keyer      Video Limiter      Vertical Flip      Cross Dissolve      Dip to Black      Dip to White 

List of GPU accelerated effects in Premiere Pro CS5.5 and later  Here is a list of the additional effects and transitions that can be accelerated by CUDA in Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5 and later.      Directional Blur      Fast Blur      Invert      Additive Dissolve      Film Dissolve"

Therefore adding a theortic 50,000 core GPU plus the fixed basic CPU encoding time is not going change your total time very much at all, you have reached a point of diminishing returns

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 6:47 PM   in reply to Bill Gehrke

You forgot...

• frame rate differences
    • field order differences
    • pixel aspect ratio differences
    • frame size differences
    • media with different alpha channel representations
    • frame blending
    • speed changes (including time remapping) are accelerated.
    • scalling
    • deinterlacing
    • blending
    • color space conversions
    • rendering in AEs ray trace mode (lots of editors use both PrP and AE)

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 7:01 PM   in reply to lasvideo

You are correct, I was just looking for that list  Those are not "Effects"  and actually they are the some most significant items for the GPU.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points