Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Photodownloader CS5.

May 22, 2012 7:33 AM

I am not sure this goes under "Bridge" but this is where I am having the problem.

Just received a Canon 5DMKIII and when I plug in the camera Adobe PhotoDownloaded does not initiate.

APD does work fine with the other Canon/Sony bodies I use.

Is there a "Preference" or option I can check for this body only?

Yes it does work fine if I go to "FILE>Get Photos>Select>5DMKIII

Thanks!

Dan

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 22, 2012 8:09 AM   in reply to danpbphoto

I've seen menu items in cameras which switch USB operation between two different modes. I can't remember the names, but it may be different between manufacturers. The gist is that one makes the camera act as an external drive, and the other makes it act to a digital imaging standard. You could try changing that setting, if it's available. Alternatively, you could use a memory card reader, which a lot of people here would probably suggest was a better idea than connecting your camera anyway.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    May 22, 2012 9:05 AM   in reply to danpbphoto

Is there a "Preference" or option I can check for this body only?

To my knowledge you can't set this behavior per camera only global yes or no. When you click on file/ get photo's or use the camera icon in Bridge Window top left you get a menu asking what to do if you did not

chose this already or have chosen to 'not show again' this warning message.

In Bridge prefs general tab under 'behavior' is also the option to set it on or off.

Assuming you already have updated to the latest ACR (6.7) to support your brand new dSLR, or do you only shoot jpeg?

When you are on a Mac you could also try to delete the Photodownloader plist file from user library preferences to refresh the prefs for Downloader.

Don't know the Windows equivalent of this file.

However I'm with Yammer P about not favoring connecting the camera directly to your computer. Instead I would use a card reader.

Personally I have put the Downloader icon in my dock and start it manually when having put a CF card in the card reader.

Other advantage of this manual method is that Photodownloader does also not start when syncing my phone or iPad because APDL also wants to read this devices

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 9:05 AM   in reply to danpbphoto

Don't know what a cf card looks like but like Yammer says card readers are a lot more reliable than reading from camera.

Dedicated USB card readers are better than ones built into computer.

The window that pops up for choices to download to bridge, etc. is an OS thing.  So check your autoload features.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 9:18 AM   in reply to danpbphoto

danpbphoto wrote:

pulling cf card out and reinserting time and agin is tantamount to pin problems in camera and card.

You'd think so, and I've heard other people say this too, but I've never met anyone this has actually happened to. I might be lucky. I've taken about 35k shots on 4 Sandisk CF cards over 4 years, and never had any problems with using a memory card reader and reinserting them in my camera.

If you're on Windows you might want to look at Autoplay, whilst the camera is connected. No idea about Mac.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    May 22, 2012 9:39 AM   in reply to danpbphoto

I have a card reader but pulling cf card out and reinserting time and agin is tantamount to pin problems in camera and card.

To add my experience about that:

I started using a card reader 11 years ago with 2 (very costly) 128 MB CF cards. Don't know the number of shots and certainly not the times I've pulled them out and in since then but it is a lot, a very lot...

Next was 256 MB, 512 Mb 1 Gb etc etc and now I have 16 GB CF cards ( at not even one third of the original price for 128 MB...). I lost the functionality of some card readers that failed due to hard ware malfunctioning (not pins!) over the time but never a CF card.

I since have used 6 or 7 dSLR that also never failed on CF slots.

Besides that, it is very hard to destroy a CF card at all, I even had one in the washing machine and yet it refused to die...

The reasons to not use download from camera may not be that value at all anymore with newest versions (the EOS 1Dx seems able to ethernet connection) but they where;

Speed, a quality CF card reader was faster then in camera reading.

Power save (not that valuable with todays lithium ion battery)

Possible problems when camera did an auto shut down while still transporting files.

And the main, It is a very bad idea to use your computer to delete files from a CF card at all but especially when in camera. The risk of overwriting in camera soft or firmware was always mentioned as a main reason not do so.

And yes, there will be people stating the opposite, but the bottom line is that this workflow never did cost me a camera, CF card nor an image that was on those cards

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 9:40 AM   in reply to danpbphoto

You might want to load the beta ACR 7.1.  ACR 7.0 is less advanced than 6.7. 

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    May 22, 2012 9:50 AM   in reply to danpbphoto

Is not ACR 7.1 for CS6???

Yes, I think Curt get a little carried away due to summer temperatures??

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 9:59 AM   in reply to Omke Oudeman

I pointed that out as if you were using CS5 with ACR 6.7 and then switched to CS6 and 7.0 you may see a step backwards and less supported cameras.  ACR 7.0 comes with CS6, and 7.1 is still in Beta.

And it is raining here in Pacific Northwest.  Very welcome after 10 DAYS of sunsine. 

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 10:00 AM   in reply to danpbphoto

To display current ACR version go to PS and click on Help/about plugins/camera raw

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    May 22, 2012 10:24 AM   in reply to Curt Y

And it is raining here in Pacific Northwest.  Very welcome after 10 DAYS of sunsine. 

Would think this cooling moment would make you sharper but you are disappointing me...

And glad to someone is happy with our rain, be sure we are also very happy with your sunshine. Although the sudden change of temperature is somewhat of a shock here, but we won't complain about that!!!

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 10:49 AM   in reply to Omke Oudeman

Omke Oudeman wrote:

Would think this cooling moment would make you sharper but you are disappointing me...

OK, now I get it, re-read the post and it is cs5 not 6.  Guess in a rut.

I too have senior moments as I am 70, ouch that is old!

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    May 22, 2012 1:01 PM   in reply to Curt Y

I too have senior moments as I am 70, ouch that is old!

That's very surprising to know the truth about those two young hearted men in de midst of the digital era...

I feel a lot younger now but not that young because I'm only 16 years behind

This should be enough Off Topic, back to the serious work!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points