Skip navigation
kaotik1978
Currently Being Moderated

Printer said he had to re-create entire file

May 21, 2012 2:55 PM

Hi,

Made a file for a friend in illustrator. Saved as EPS, two color. First time they sent the file to the printer they said they needed the font's outlined. Did that and re-sent it. Next time around they said they had to re-create the entire file, stating it's not "vector".

This was a first for me so I'm wondering what is going on, does the printer being difficult, because he's charging more now saying he had to re-create all the art, when in fact this was made in illustrator, all vector, 300dpi, font's embedded.

I'll upload the file too if that helps. Somewhat discouraged at this point cause the printer is not being friendly and making things very difficult.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 21, 2012 5:15 PM   in reply to kaotik1978

"when in fact this was made in illustrator, all vector, 300dpi, font's embedded."

What type of file is it?  A business card?  Letterhead?  tShirt?  300dpi?  Number one, if you're sending out an EPS file with live fonts, then you have to send the fonts, too.  300dpi is a very low output resolution.  Your file's output res should be a minimum of 2540dpi.  If you're referring to raster res; then it's 300ppi.

Yes, the printer is giving you a hard time and you're getting ripped off to boot.  Sounds like an online vendor.  Dump them and go with someone local.  The crap cost you just wasted is increasing the entire cost of the job.  Had you gone to someone local, you probably would have paid a little more, but then you wouldn't be hassled, either.  Look into how to produce print-ready PDF's.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 10:05 AM   in reply to kaotik1978

Why "Export" at all?  Why not: Save As > EPS?  Better yet, Print > Save As PDF?  If I'm not mistaken, if you Exported, you rasterized...hence the 300ppi.  Screen printers need solids for screen making.  They can accept tints and halftones, but many do not have the mesh available to make it work.  I'd have to see the file in order to troubleshoot what went wrong.  The entire scenario sounds a bit weird to me.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 3:32 PM   in reply to kaotik1978

This sounds pretty fishy to me. So fishy that I'm wondering if there's a miscommunication going on here.  Bottom line, if you sent them an .EPS that you personally verified that is still in a vector format, then there is no reason they would need to re-build the entire file in order to vectorize it.

If they did this without asking if it was ok to charge first then I would 100% dispute the charge and refuse to pay.

There are things you may have to fix in a file even if it is still vectors ( like spot colors mixing with transparency, blacks that are not 100% black but a 4-color build, things knocking out that shouldn't be, etc.) but I'd never fix it and charge without asking first.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points