Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to package multiple simulations?

Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2012 May 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I'm starting an elearning project that will have about 50 simulations of a software program.  I've discovered the Aggregator and have a basic idea of how it works, but still not sure the best solution.

I would like some kind of page(s) for text and menus to talk about the simulations and then click to launch them.  The sims could have some kind of Nav to get back to the main page or menu.

Do I have to build web pages from scratch for this, or is there a simpler way?

thanks!

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could create such a Captivate file, buttons can have the action 'Open File' attached and then you point to the Captivate file to be opened. At the end of each simulation you can navigate the same way to the main project. Be sure to keep everything in the same folder when uploading.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sounds like a good idea.  So I wouldn't Aggregate at all, correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey I just built a test with 3 modules and a "home" cap file.  works great! thanks.  I might need to figure out a nav button that allows the user to return "home' at any time...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please keep in mind as you are progressing with this that the approach you've taken will be of little use if at the end of it all you wanted to upload the content to a SCORM-compliant LMS.  If you do NOT intend your content to ever be on an LMS, then no problem with the way you're currently allowing the users to navigate to modules.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2012 May 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point, thanks.  The powers that be will not allow us to use an LMS anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2012 May 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the Aggregator is a great option IF you don't ever intend to use an LMS because it progressively loads all of the modules in the background as the user is looking at the first one.  If you open the TOC and watch it after you first open the project, you will see each module get added one after the other.  Users cannot select any item to play unless it is fully loaded.

So this means you could have an initial short Intro module that your users start watching, and by the time they finish that, everything else is downloaded and ready to run from the TOC without any waiting.  If you were using a normal menu page, users would still need to wait for each module to load after they clicked its link. 

So the Aggregator acts as a sort of preloader (with each module also having its own preloader) and can give a significantly enhanced user experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2012 May 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

that's very convincing. I think I better experiment some more with the Aggregator. thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources