Skip navigation
Ack19105
Currently Being Moderated

Bad character spacing w/ Acrobat X, was fine with Acrobat 8

May 22, 2012 7:25 PM

Tags: #spacing #x #8 #kerning #character #2010 #conversion_error

I am converting a word document to pdf within MS Word using pdfmaker. Same original MS Word document in both cases, Times New Roman font, regular 11 pt.

One conversion is being done on older WinXP/SP2 system using Word2000 and Acrobat 8 pro, and the result looks fine. 

The other is being done on a new Win7 system using Word2010 and Acrobat X pro, and the result is poor - a kerning or other kind of spacing problem so that every letter 'i' and 'j' is shifted to the right.  Other letters are affected as well, though to lesser degrees.

The conversion settings appear to be identical.  The Word file looks fine on both machines.  The pdf files look as they do below on both machines (it is not a viewer problem, must be a conversion problem)

I would sure appreciate some help fixing the new system - thanks!

Acrobat_problem.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 23, 2012 5:40 PM   in reply to Ack19105

What is the default job setting file on each system?

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2012 12:31 PM   in reply to Ack19105

Change the settings so that you use Press Quality and see if it makes a difference. Standard does not embed the fonts in the pdf. So if you view a file on a machine that has the exact same font on the computer you could have the problems you are seeing.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2012 4:40 AM   in reply to Ack19105

Is the issue resolved for you now with the Press Quality?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2012 5:50 AM   in reply to SomyaAgg

You can always check the document to see if the fonts are embedded. When such problems occur, it is a result of not having the fonts embedded. The Std job settings do not embed all fonts and that is likely where the problem is.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points